D&D 5E Bastard Sword Idea

Arilyn

Hero
I'm beginning to lean toward idea of just having loose weapon categories with damage die attached. Classes would get proficiency with damage type instead of specific weapon categories. Wizards, for example, would do d4, fighters d10, etc. 2d6 or d12 weapons for some of the martial characters are available as 2 handed choices. Then players can have any weapon they want or create their own personal unique weapon. Wizard can wield a battle axe, but sorry, you are still doing d4, cause you are not a warrior.

Works well in 13th Age. Similar system for armour. When I first read this in 13th Age, I did not like it, but after playing with this system, I found it very freeing.

Coroc

Hero
I'm beginning to lean toward idea of just having loose weapon categories with damage die attached. Classes would get proficiency with damage type instead of specific weapon categories. Wizards, for example, would do d4, fighters d10, etc. 2d6 or d12 weapons for some of the martial characters are available as 2 handed choices. Then players can have any weapon they want or create their own personal unique weapon. Wizard can wield a battle axe, but sorry, you are still doing d4, cause you are not a warrior.

Works well in 13th Age. Similar system for armour. When I first read this in 13th Age, I did not like it, but after playing with this system, I found it very freeing.

It certainly will not break anything in 5e but what do you do about those weapons which work differently with feats?

Polearm -/ great weapon- / crossbow -master / sharpshooter etc?

Arilyn

Hero
It certainly will not break anything in 5e but what do you do about those weapons which work differently with feats?

Polearm -/ great weapon- / crossbow -master / sharpshooter etc?

This is a problem. I don't think I would actually implement my idea in 5e, because there is a ripple effect of necessary changes and not sure it's worth it. I suppose you could have manoeuvres, or fighting styles allowing players to use these kinds of weapons, which would restrict them to some martial classes? Fighter and Paladin for polearms, for example. I was mostly speculating, because it feels like 5e was heading towards simplifying weapon choice, but may have been better to go even farther? Don't know if this would have been popular, however.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer

Cypher System does something similar with light, medium, and heavy weapons. No weapon tables. Just how much damage you do with it.

Dungeon World might be similar too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Hillsy7

First Post
It certainly will not break anything in 5e

It kinda would - the various properties of weapons affect their relative Damage dice....e.g. reach moves a 2H weapon from d12 to d10......once you flatten out damage dice to class, then you are immediately incentivised to take the weapon with the most properties as there's no trade-off. You can create most weapons in the PHB from a rough rules system that applies from light hammers up to great axes, all based on properties and type.....so you'd need a sliding modifier on top of all the property modifiers based on class, which just makes it significantly more complicated as a Fighter can use a d4 dagger, right up to a 2d6 greatsword.....and that would basically just break any balance with weapon damage.

There are some natural damage limitations built in - martial weapons are a damage dice higher than their Simple weapon equivalents; Fighter get to-hit, re-roll or damage boosts as per Fighting styles; Martial characters get to focus on their attack stat so hit more often; also the VSM requirements can block off some issues regarding attempted weird weapon choices......

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Typo on my part, I meant to type 2d4. :D

But I saw what you did there.

I do like the idea of a 2d4 weapon. Adding a bit of the bell curve to the one-handed weapons. One-Handed, Slashing Damage, No versatile, no finesse. Give it a generic name like the Broadsword and I'd be on board.

Remove ads