• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battlestar Galactica-Final Season (4) 4/25/08--Escape Velocity

RangerWickett said:
I never liked Tory, but now that I've seen the interview with Rekha Sharma on Sci-fi's website, I at least think the actress is awesome.
I never cared for her until the end of last season. Once she got some spot-light, the character (naturally) became more interesting. It helps that the actress isn't bad (and certainly not bad-looking ;) )...

Is it okay to discuss religion and politics of a sci-fi show?

I don't like Baltar the way I used to. He was scummy and wonderful. Now he's oddly passionate about a philosophy that I think really doesn't make sense. "We're all perfect?" Maybe I've been raised too much involved with the doctrine of original sin, but it's pretty key to my beliefs that people are flawed, and that our relationship with the divine is meant to help us overcome those flaws.

Is there some real world philosophy that posits that all people are perfect, because I'd be interested in finding out how they reconcile that with various awful things people do.

RangerWickett said:
Is there some real world philosophy that posits that all people are perfect, because I'd be interested in finding out how they reconcile that with various awful things people do.

I would assume that such people do not truly love themselves as Baltar would have them.

In other words, someone who truly loved themselves would have inner peace; serenity. They would not need to strike out against others or act in bad ways, which often come from fear, anger and hate (..."the path to the Dark Side are they," says a little green dude).

You don't need to hurt others in an attempt to protect yourself, because everything you need you already possess. You do evil only when you don't recognize this truth.

Accept yourself and accept your flaws, becuase... well.. they are part of you and you are perfect.

It can be equally as healing as saying, "You're garbage until someone else forgives you."

. . . . . . . . .

Now, this being Baltar saying this, he's going to totally frak humanity over with it. But it wouldn't be nBSG without such an occurance. :D

RangerWickett said:
Is it okay to discuss religion and politics of a sci-fi show?
We're treating dangerous grounds. I suppose the moderators will intervene if it goes bad, but my suggestion would be to avoid explicitly referring to real world religions, and avoid anyone getting worked up about it. It's a TV show, and what is true for Battlestar Galactica doesn't have to be true in the real world.

I don't like Baltar the way I used to. He was scummy and wonderful. Now he's oddly passionate about a philosophy that I think really doesn't make sense. "We're all perfect?" Maybe I've been raised too much involved with the doctrine of original sin, but it's pretty key to my beliefs that people are flawed, and that our relationship with the divine is meant to help us overcome those flaws.

Didn't someone else in this thread mention that this is a "trick" used by real-life cults and sects to attract people? "You are not an evil sinner, incapable of leading a good life. I tell you, you're perfect the way you are. Now take this pill and the UFOs will be with us in a short time..." I don't know if this is true, but it makes sense. You need something to appeal ot the people, and saying them they are not as bad as they were lead to believe isn't a bad start. ;)

But then, what I don't know if Baltar is "tricking" people, or genuinely believes what he says. This ties in with my previous post - Baltar has a knack of piecing together information from various sources and spin it to something new. The "perfection" idea came from discussing with Tori, and he is re-using it now, somewhat different. The question is - did he "figure it out" or is he just using to manipulate people? Or is it both? (minus the just)

By the way, today Baltar wasn't Jesus, today he was Ghandi. The scene where he tried to walk by the Marine reminded me of a scene from the Ghandi movie (with Ben Kingsley, IIRC), where Ghandi and his followers are trying to block some kind of British controlled facility. Ghandi and follower after follower are going towards the armed men, and get beaten down, never themself fighting back, just moving forward... That was a very impressive image for me as a teen. And Baltars move totally reminded me of that.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Eosin the Red said:
Tonights episode left me with some strong but unidentifiable willies.... It is like my "spidersense" is going batty but I don't know why. I can tell you that is was most annoying during the Six and Tight scenes.
Tha twas probably the creepy factor of seeing Ellen's face on Six's body. That was disturbing.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Loincloth of Armour said:
Now, this being Baltar saying this, he's going to totally frak humanity over with it. But it wouldn't be nBSG without such an occurance. :D

Yup, it wouldn't be nBSG without Baltar giving humanity a good frakking.

Villano

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
The scene looked strange, and a strong part in me believes it was left (or even planned) so intentionally.The scene looked as if some invisible force held Baltar up, and maybe that should tell us something. We might never find out...

I had always assumed that the Head versions of characters were delusions (whether by mental breakdown or because of the Cylons), but now I'm beginning to wonder if they are actual entities. Head Six seems to be the voice of corruption, like Satan...or Count Iblis?

Remember, back on the original series, Iblis shared his voice with the Cylon Imperious Leader. Is Iblis the Cylon God?

Then again, for all we know, Baltar could turn out to be the leader who saves humanity and dies before reaching Earth (I don't put anything past the producers on this show). ;)

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
But then, what I don't know if Baltar is "tricking" people, or genuinely believes what he says. This ties in with my previous post - Baltar has a knack of piecing together information from various sources and spin it to something new. The "perfection" idea came from discussing with Tori, and he is re-using it now, somewhat different. The question is - did he "figure it out" or is he just using to manipulate people? Or is it both? (minus the just)
Actually I think Baltar is tricking himself. Part of him knows that he is a shallow, narcissistic bastard, but he really does not want to accept that as being who he really is. Just as we saw him shift from defeat and self-blame to arrogance and blaming others during his trial once he was able to, now he is scrambling for something that will allow him to convince himself he really is a worthwhile person and deserves the adoration of his followers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads