• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battlestar Galactica-Final Season (4) 4/25/08--Escape Velocity

Fast Learner

First Post
Truth Seeker said:
Wait, it was the whole body, not just the face either.
They did both. Early on it was a combo, later it was just Ellen.

As to the philosophy of everyone being perfect, it is not just used by cults, it's used in a lot of philosophy and isn't wacky at all, but this is most definitely not the place to discuss why.

On real-world religion, I was fascinated by their specific mention of Mithras as its own small religion among the colonists. Neat.

Fast Learner said:
On real-world religion, I was fascinated by their specific mention of Mithras as its own small religion among the colonists. Neat.

This makes me wonder if the intent is to (a) eventually reveal the colonists as the forefathers of Earth's Roman/Greek cultures, (b) draw direct parallels to Roman/early-Judeo-Christian conflicts in real Earth history (pantheists prosecuting monotheists, hmm ...), or (c) something else entirely.

You know, come to think of it, despite the continuity with the prior series (e.g. older model Vipers and Cylons), they haven't yet referenced ye olde Imperious Leader. Think that could be part of the eventual conclusion?

Olgar Shiverstone said:
You know, come to think of it, despite the continuity with the prior series (e.g. older model Vipers and Cylons), they haven't yet referenced ye olde Imperious Leader. Think that could be part of the eventual conclusion?
They haven't shown the glowing cone-heads either.

Simplicity

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
I don't like Baltar the way I used to. He was scummy and wonderful. Now he's oddly passionate about a philosophy that I think really doesn't make sense. "We're all perfect?" Maybe I've been raised too much involved with the doctrine of original sin, but it's pretty key to my beliefs that people are flawed, and that our relationship with the divine is meant to help us overcome those flaws.

I think that's the point. It's fairly obvious what the consequences of such a philosophy could be. Especially when it's Baltar saying it.

Mallus

Legend
Genius, pure and simple.

From my point of view more happened in that one episode than in an entire season of Stargate, at least more worth thinking about/digging into. I don't recall ever seeing scenes like these --Tigh/Six, Adama/Tyrol, Roslin/Adama-- in a science fiction series before.

I am a little concerned that the writers will suffer a failure of the imagination re: Tory. While it was fun to watch her bit with Baltar during the fundamentalist raid, it was also a touch cliché. But they made up for it with her seemingly authentic fascination with Gaius's new Protestant Gnosticism.

I think it's wise that the creators chose to initially deemphasize how they get to Earth, because, frankly, that's not where the drama is (and besides, the how is easy -God tells them then they go). We all know the Colonials (and Cylons) get there, sometime on or around episode 20. But who and what will they be when they do?

Last edited:

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Struck me as very much a setup episode for later things to come.

It was a little slow for me, but things I did like:

- we're really seeing how Roslin has become a different president since she first started.
- the dynamic between her and Lee Adama
- Baltar getting hauled off his ass like a puppet. Makes me think Head Six is more than just in his mind, and perhaps alludes to how the Cylons are (indirectly or otherwise) controlling him.

I think we are building towards the show finale, and things are going to simmer before they boil. Looking forward to more.

Mallus

Legend
GoodKingJayIII said:
I think we are building towards the show finale, and things are going to simmer before they boil.
I think it's a real testimony to the show that Tory spacing Callie, Tyrol publicly denouncing their marriage, and Baltar getting beaten to a pulp, hauled to his feet by an angel, and becomeing a full-on Messiah counts as 'simmering'.

Remove ads