Battlezoo Shares The OGL v1.1

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I am really not sure that’s true, and in fact if Paizo tries to ditch the OGL and republish, I’m reasonably sure WotC WOULD sue, and tie them in court long enough to kill them, because that would be the most precedent-setting case of any case WotC would care to wager.

Paizo’s best bet, in my non-lawyer opinion, would be to attempt to join or initiate a class-action with other publishers over the revocation of OGL 1.0a, because the lawsuit over “what is a game mechanic vs. what is art” is a MUCH larger endeavor than “can this license which everybody used to agree was irrevocable be revoked?”
I do not believe that this is a viable course from what I read on the lawyer threads but they could keep gong and defend their right to do so per the OGL 1.0(a) contract. It would be up to WoTC to prove that they can withdraw that contract.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
I'm sure that most D&D fans haven't even heard about it yet.
Meanwhile, over at Dragonsfoot:

df.png

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
According to rumour (screenshots of tweets I saw this morning somewhere, I can't find them right now), WoTC are currently in full Fuhrer Bunker mode. No one wants to speak up for fear of getting fired. It sounds as if they're paralysed. Sane people at WoTC know they ought to be issuing a conciliatory press release, but the boss is in Evil Emperor mode and they don't dare tell her. That's the rumour anyway.
We need the Downfall parody.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

DF is a forum that has a very strong focus on playing old editions of D&D. Even retroclones don't have so much coverage. I'm not surprised that there's very little discussion of the OGL.

I mean, I'd be kind of surprised if there was lots of discussion in the 2nd Edition sub-forum...

That being said, there looks like there's only one thread on there anywhere? (General Messages / General Discussion).

1673400007874.png

Apparently they have mods too...

1673400152353.png

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Ignoring Moderator Instructions
The reason I suspect Williams over Cocks is that Cocks headed WoTC for a while and never made any noises in this direction at the time. It seems to have only started when Williams came in. Then there was the leaked investor call. I don't think it's sexist to suspect that she is the prime mover on this.
That is the reason that I think that this is a board level thing. Which would explain the Furher Bunker stuff. Cocks was not planning to do this but get the top job and Hasbro is having a bad year by overgrazing the Magic meadow. Some wants monetization and to do that they need to kill the OGL, Cocks is Keitel, Williams is Jodl, Hitler, Goebbels and Boorman are the Hasbro board ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases