Battlezoo Shares The OGL v1.1

Battlezoo, the YouTube channel which shared the initial leak of the new Open Game License, has shared the PDF of the OGL v1.1 draft which is currently circulating. This draft is, presumably, the same document obtained by Gizmodo last week. It's not currently known if this is the final version of the license.

Xohar17

Explorer
Are you sure about that? I could definitely see WotC arguing that, for example, the ability scores are a copyrighted presentation of a game mechanic.
Maybe, it would have to go to courtz and even if they lost they could just change the objetionable stuff, and change the names of the attributed to some sinonyms, maybe change some monster, spells and magic item names and thats it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But suposedly you cant copyright mechanics or rules only the expresion of those mechanics itself, so someone can in fact make a game that plays exactly like 5e, but the rules are written differently, and it would be perfectly legal.
In theory, yes, but do you want to be the one to battle WotC’s lawyers in court over it?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
In theory, yes, but do you want to be the one to battle WotC’s lawyers in court over it?
Does whether or not the rules are about a particular non-generic setting and reflect that (in terms of the classes and vancian magic and etc...) matter for how the case would go? [I want to say one of the game copyright cases was about something very tied to a story iirc].

Not meaning to ask you in particular @Charlaquin , your post was the easiest to find tangent :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Does whether or not the rules are about a particular non-generic setting and reflect that (in terms of the classes and vancian magic and etc...) matter for how the case would go? [I want to say one of the game copyright cases was about something very tied to a story iirc].

Not meaning to ask you in particular @Charlaquin , your post was the easiest to find tangent :)
Haha I was gonna say, I have no particular expertise in the matter, your guess is as good as mine 😅

Xohar17

Explorer
No, because im not the 3p creator with a lot to lose, however paizo seems more inclined to fight wotc, if at least in the "we have the right to continue to use the ogl1.0" front.

Remove ads

Remove ads