OSR BECMI, how do you say it?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Same here, though I have never had reason to say it out loud or hear someone do it, but in my head I always parse it as "Bee-eeh-See-ehm-aye"

In all seriousness (which is quite a strain for me, btw), I am the other way around.

As far as I can remember, ever since "BECMI" was a thing, I always pronounced it BECK-mee. It never occurred to me that people were spelling it out. Like S.C.U.B.A.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In all seriousness (which is quite a strain for me, btw), I am the other way around.

As far as I can remember, ever since "BECMI" was a thing, I always pronounced it BECK-mee. It never occurred to me that people were spelling it out. Like S.C.U.B.A.
I mean...I started playing D&D with 3.5, but I do remember seeing print ads for the Rules Cyclopedia in magazines when I was 7 or 8: the fine parsing of BD&D history ia something I've only learned in the past decade, and then almost entirely through textual formats. I tend to sound out acronyms, though: Nintendo released the "Enh-eeh-ees" not a "nez".

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I mean...I started playing D&D with 3.5, but I do remember seeing print ads for the Rules Cyclopedia in magazines when I was 7 or 8: the fine parsing of BD&D history ia something I've only learned in the past decade, and then almost entirely through textual formats. I tend to sound out acronyms, though: Nintendo released the "Enh-eeh-ees" not a "nez".

I am not sure if there is a hard and fast rule, but I think that generally, if an acronym easily resolves (due to vowels), and is more than one syllable, then it will tend to get sounded out as a word. If it's one syllable (especially if it's three letters or less) then it will get said as the letters.

Hence-
UN is Yoo Enn.

But UNESCO is Yoo-Ness-ko.

UPS is Yoo Pee Ess (not, um, ups. Although that would be funny!).
CONCACAF (a soccer thing) is Kon-Ka-Kaf.

Pedantic

Legend

I think maybe it's something to do with running across B/X written or said out in full as "Basic/Expert" enough times? That, and BECMI feels more separable than other, similar acronyms. You can imagine someone only talking about Expert or Immortal, so keeping them apart makes it clear that each letter is its own distinct concept, even if they're usually referred to as a whole.

Last edited:

Muso

Explorer
Hmm... never heard it with the "CH" sound, but always with a "K" sound.
In Bologna we pronunce it BECMI (soft c) and not BECHMI with the hard c. Maybe in Rome you have a different pronunciation ;) (to be honest it makes some sense because the C is for Companion that is pronunced with the hard c).

Remove ads