D&D General Being a DM is like being a cook

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Certainly. My point was that writing is not the best medium to communicate how to cook. This may be analogous to games--we depend on written game products, but actually sitting down at table and playing with people with experience is actually the best way to learn.
I learned to cook mostly from books--reading, then applying the text. I ... didn't learn GMing the exact same way, but my GMing improved substantially after setting out to do some reading about it--and then applying things in games I was running.

Is a book the best way to learn to, say, chiffonade basil? Nah. Is a book a good way to learn to put flavors together, and to learn the sequence of a given process? Yeah. Does having someone to ask questions of help if you're a new cook (or a new GM)? Absolutely, but it's not mandatory.

As for the OP's analogy, I think that whether you enjoy a given home cook's food comes down more to whether their tastes and preferences match yours than to their technical skill; and I think that whether you enjoy a given GM's game comes to the exact same thing.

I was a vegetarian for years, and when I started to eat meat I tried to cook using Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. While the book is comprehensive, from what I remember, he often gives sort of vague instructions, or at least difficult for me to parse; he might tell the reader to cook a piece of fish "until it's done." This was very frustrating...I hadn't eaten fish in years, how was I supposed to know when it's done! There were some failed experiments. This is similar when a recipe tells you to "salt to taste." Now I can both not overcook fish and salt it to taste, but it took actual doing. That said, YMMV, with either cooking or ttrpgs, I guess...

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I was a vegetarian for years, and when I started to eat meat I tried to cook using Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. While the book is comprehensive, from what I remember, he often gives sort of vague instructions, or at least difficult for me to parse; he might tell the reader to cook a piece of fish "until it's done." This was very frustrating...I hadn't eaten fish in years, how was I supposed to know when it's done! There were some failed experiments. This is similar when a recipe tells you to "salt to taste." Now I can both not overcook fish and salt it to taste, but it took actual doing. That said, YMMV, with either cooking or ttrpgs, I guess...
I checked out one of Bittman's books from the library, once, and it was useless for me, as well--so useless that if another writer praises Bittman my expectations for them sink below my ability to sustain interest.

"Season to taste," though, is not at all a useless direction. At least, it's a step best not skipped--and my thinking is it's the step where the cook's taste and preference get the chance to show through.

Don't dis the Matt Mercer effect!
but for many it's the only medium they get that gives them the information they need. And it a medium where they can get data without watching some 30 year DM do a perfect job and make them feel useless.
Or are you saying we need to find some terrible DMs and get them to stream their games?

Remove ads