D&D 5E Being strong and skilled is a magic of its own or, how I learned to stop worrying and love anime fightin' magic

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Heat through metal?
Depends on how hot it is.
Also, moving a human arm involves the transfer of energy too. Never conduction velocity, the mechanical constriction of muscle fibers. The friction of tendons and bone.

Energy is not just 'glow stuff that moves faster than human reflexes'.
That electrical energy moves from the brain to the nerves a hell of a lot faster than those muscles can move after receiving the commands. For that matter, kinetic energy is transferred much faster as well.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Depends on how hot it is.
We cannot make determinations as to how fast a type of energy is transferred without knowing the actual type and medium.
That electrical energy moves from the brain to the nerves a hell of a lot faster than those muscles can move after receiving the commands. For that matter, kinetic energy is transferred much faster as well.
How fast does the documented energy type known as 'glowy blueness' move through an unknown material that has the appearance of leather strands?

FireLance

Legend
"Leveling up" is a uniquely RPG concept. You don't really see it in media that isn't either an RPG itself or heavily influenced by/adapted from one.
I think that to a lesser extent, it is more present in wuxia stories. It was mentioned to me once that mythological and certain comic book heroes were special because they were born that way (Hercules and Superman, for example) or due to a single one-off event (Achilles gets dipped in the Styx, David Banner gets pelted by gamma rays). However, wuxia heroes had to seek out masters of martial arts or knowledge set down in manuals and train and practice in order to acquire their special techniques. I'm no expert, but it does align with what I know of both genres.

While it could be argued that wuxia heroes are powered by supernatural ki and are not purely martial, I think I would prefer a D&D that is built around the idea that a normal humanoid could train hard enough to reach the power level of Hercules or the Hulk.

Gilgamesh and Beowulf feel more than a little different to me than MCU Thor or Captain Marvel :)
i don't beowulf is just a man trained... and he wrestles grendel and a dragon then grendel's mother...
But anyway, the question feels like it's a bit about genre. If player A wants Ocean's 11 and the other wants Batman it feels like something has to give. If player A wants historical WWII and player B wants MCU WWII something has to give.

Is it that D&D just hasn't decided what the top level of power is?
the problem is I am not suggesting we go over the top of the current power scales... take ANY 5th or 6th level spell and give a 17th level warrior class options like that and you STILL have full casters throwing 9th level spells... but some how that always breaks the game to some.
I guess I'm curious about the actual play experience of folks who run things past level 12 and how the current fighter players are experiencing things compared to the current Wizard players.
we tried at the beginning of the edition... and fighters get board fast.

by the mid point of the edition I was finding even NEW players get board by 5th or 6th level (and not just with fighter, even the paladin and monk and both have magic abilities too)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
i don't beowulf is just a man trained... and he wrestles grendel and a dragon then grendel's mother...

Captain Marvel turned around a ballistic missiles accelerating towards earth and destroyed a really big freaking space ships\ by flying through it. Thor did something with restarting a neutron star. Those feel different than wrestling even fairly big things to me...

we tried at the beginning of the edition... and fighters get board fast.

by the mid point of the edition I was finding even NEW players get board by 5th or 6th level (and not just with fighter, even the paladin and monk and both have magic abilities too)
Thanks for the feedback!

Did the wizards still stay interested?

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We cannot make determinations as to how fast a type of energy is transferred without knowing the actual type and medium.

How fast does the documented energy type known as 'glowy blueness' move through an unknown material that has the appearance of leather strands?
"Lasso: Whiskey carried around a whip/lasso that he could use to fend off multiple opponents: the lasso could also be activated so it became charged with electricity—strong enough to cut someone in half. He was skilled enough to catch objects in midair with the lasso, or pull objects using it."

All the kingsman lore on the net says it's electricity, which means it must have metal threads running through it, so very, very, very fast.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think I would prefer a D&D that is built around the idea that a normal humanoid could train hard enough to reach the power level of Hercules or the Hulk.
Halve the problem we have is fans can't agree on how a normal humanoid could train hard enough to reach the power level of Hercules or the Hulk looks.

Some fans have looked at some TV shows and movies and said "This"
Other fans have chosen "Not This" but never exclaim what their "This" is.

Haplo781

Legend
I think that to a lesser extent, it is more present in wuxia stories. It was mentioned to me once that mythological and certain comic book heroes were special because they were born that way (Hercules and Superman, for example) or due to a single one-off event (Achilles gets dipped in the Styx, David Banner gets pelted by gamma rays). However, wuxia heroes had to seek out masters of martial arts or knowledge set down in manuals and train and practice in order to acquire their special techniques. I'm no expert, but it does align with what I know of both genres.

While it could be argued that wuxia heroes are powered by supernatural ki and are not purely martial, I think I would prefer a D&D that is built around the idea that a normal humanoid could train hard enough to reach the power level of Hercules or the Hulk.
Appropriating "ki" for the monk class is problematic in all the ways that WotC is trying to get away from.

Hell, 4e was planning a ki power source to go with martial, arcane, divine, primal, and psionic until the developers realized that would just be "Asian classes" and folded the monk into psionics.

As I said before, old-school D&D is still popular in Japan, as are OSR-style retroclones. But WotC seems to be interested in expanding to that market. And embracing wuxia-style martials would probably help quite a bit with that.

Haplo781

Legend
Captain Marvel turned around ballistic missiles accelerating towards earth and destroyed really big freaking space ships by flying through them. Thor did something with restarting a neutron star. Those feel different than wrestling even fairly big things to me...

Thanks for the feedback!

Did the wizards still stay interested?
Ballistic missiles don't exist in D&D. Restarting a neutron star is a narrative thing, not mechanical.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases