• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 9th level spell for a sorcerer

Warren Okuma

First Post
Arkhandus said:
He doesn't have the right spells known for Time Stop to be truly effective as his one and only 9th-level sorcerer spell (though maybe later it'd be decent for his 3rd spell of that level).
Eh, he can pick up delayed blast fireball quite easily.

CTSparky

Explorer
but is it worth it to take Time Stop and switch out a spell fo Delayed blast fireball?

I do have the feat Energy Substitution to COLD, but I'd think the spell might be a bit more useful.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
For pure damage-dealing mayhem (and hey, that's what a sorcerer is good at, ya?), you can't beat the sphere of ultimate distruction from the Spell Compendium. More hit point damage to a single creature than you can shake a stick at, and those with DR can just bite your spell-slinging grits! You still have to make SR, and they get a Fort save, but it's like a potential disintigration that lasts for 1 round/level.

Summon golem is nice too, for when you need a little more precision in your battles (from PHB II).

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
For pure damage-dealing mayhem (and hey, that's what a sorcerer is good at, ya?), you can't beat the sphere of ultimate distruction from the Spell Compendium. More hit point damage to a single creature than you can shake a stick at, and those with DR can just bite your spell-slinging grits! You still have to make SR, and they get a Fort save, but it's like a potential disintigration that lasts for 1 round/level.

I agree, that thing rocks.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
pawsplay said:
For a sorcerer, it pretty much has to be shapechange, shades, gate, or SM IX.

I would go with Shapeshift or Gate only if I had a spell or spells that can be usefully boosted with a metamagic feat to fill that 9th level slot.

Sometimes you need to expend all your boom in a hurry, and Shapeshift/Gate aren't spells you are going to cast more than once a battle.

pawsplay

Hero
Wolfwood2 said:
I would go with Shapeshift or Gate only if I had a spell or spells that can be usefully boosted with a metamagic feat to fill that 9th level slot.

Sometimes you need to expend all your boom in a hurry, and Shapeshift/Gate aren't spells you are going to cast more than once a battle.

But casting them once is enough. With a sorcerer, I wouldn't even worry about metamagic too much. Using a 9th level slot for an 8th level spell is still usually a good move.

Quartz

Hero
I'm seeing a lack of high-level damage spells. Shapechange seems to be the best choice here - shapechanging into a dragon is a pretty good start for damage dealing - and it is a spell of considerable utility. Wish should be the second spell.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
A favorite tactic of one of our party members was to shapechange into an iron golem and then cast lost of fireballs with himself as the center - instant healing for him and damage to enemies.

Klaus

First Post
As a sorcerer, you want to go with a spell that can be cast several times during the day.

I'd go with Dragonform (PHBII). Becoming a Huge Red Dragon with all the associated abilites is nothing sneeze (fire) at. :D

After that, Summon Monster IX.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads