Best action film series of the last 20 years

What's the best action film series of the last 20 years?

• Bond -- Daniel Craig era (5 films)

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Bourne (4 films, one spinoff)

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Fast and the Furious (9 films, one spinoff, two forthcoming)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Ip Man (4 films, one spinoff and another spinoff forthcoming)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • John Wick (3 films, two forthcoming)

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Mission Impossible (6 films, two forthcoming)

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Taken (3 films)

• when I think action, I think Star Wars/Marvel/Batman...

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • something else, obviously

Those don’t use lots of cuts because they are gritty.

They use lots of cuts because Liam Neeson can’t move.

One of the reasons I love some of the older action movies is you can see things like where the actors feet are moving and if they are snipping things to hide bad movement.

Liam Neeson was a boxer, would be surprised if he couldn’t learn movie fighting moves (unless it is just age). Haven’t seen Taken in a while so I would need to watch again weigh in on those

I do generally agree that stylized edits and shaky cam disrupt my enjoyment. I want to see the action. 90s Hong Kong action does a good job being stylized without obscuring what is happening (the edits help emphasize the action). Movies from the 2000s on are sometimes hard for my aging eyes to track. 1970s action is great because you can usually see the actors entire body in each frame (Venom Mob movies are outstanding for that reason, even if they don’t look very fast paced or stylized to a modern audience)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
One of the reasons I love some of the older action movies is you can see things like where the actors feet are moving and if they are snipping things to hide bad movement.

Liam Neeson was a boxer, would be surprised if he couldn’t learn movie fighting moves (unless it is just age). Haven’t seen Taken in a while so I would need to watch again weigh in on those

bryan-mills-liam-neeson.gif

From a viewing pleasure point of view alone those that is pretty hard to watch

I don't like grit. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

It's not really "recent" though. Get Carter - Wikipedia

LoL

I think grit can be good if done well. The main issue with 2000s grit is it detracted from the action, rather than enhance it. 70s grit is better IMO. Gives good texture to an action film. Also chase scenes seem more authentic in that era (don’t have the stylish editing or pacing of modern movies but the danger feels real)

Remove ads