Best action film series of the last 20 years

What's the best action film series of the last 20 years?

• Bond -- Daniel Craig era (5 films)

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Bourne (4 films, one spinoff)

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Fast and the Furious (9 films, one spinoff, two forthcoming)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Ip Man (4 films, one spinoff and another spinoff forthcoming)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • John Wick (3 films, two forthcoming)

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Mission Impossible (6 films, two forthcoming)

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Taken (3 films)

• when I think action, I think Star Wars/Marvel/Batman...

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • something else, obviously

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I've been re-watching action films -- ones notionally set in our world, where the primary audience appeal is intense action scenes.

What do you love? "Best" is obviously subjective -- for me, it's based on the intensity of the action scenes and how the concept continues and develops after an initial film. A case might be made for Fury Road as the best single action film, even if it's not our world, but it felt too divorced from the first three films to count as a series in my head. I'm aware that all of these (except FF) really are focused on a single male protagonist. Is that defining for the genre?

Anyways, share your faves. What action scenes stand out?

For the poll, I'm excluding Marvel, Batman, Star Wars, and Star Trek, and have gone with what I see as the major series since 2003 (and so excluding Brosnan-era Bond), conscious that some of these series started pre-2003. I've not included Transporter, Expendables, Bad Boys, Rush Hour, Ocean's, and probably some others that might have been included.

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend
I'd be hesitant to choose any particular one of the options in the poll over another, but just off the top of my head I'd say that John Wick and the Bourne movies have probably had the most interestingly choreographed fight scenes.

Sacrosanct

Legend
John Wick will probably win, and I don't think many people are all that familiar with IP man, so that's my vote. Excellent series.

Mallus

Legend
I love the first Yp Man, but if we’re doing series, I have to give it to the later Mission Impossibles. They keep getting… better???

(in defiance of normal franchise logic).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I went with Bond for the series angle. The rest are take it or leave it for me.

Ryujin

Legend
"John Wick", for me. The fight choreography is excellent. The star spent considerable time practicing, to make it believable. Sure, it will likely be up there simply because of temporal proximity, but I'm trying to put that aside.

payn

"John Wick", for me. The fight choreography is excellent. The star spent considerable time practicing, to make it believable. Sure, it will likely be up there simply because of temporal proximity, but I'm trying to put that aside.
Its true, the action sequences are impressive. My take is that I just don't enjoy the story (if there is any) in these films.

payn

Lots of action paint on a thin storyline is pretty much part & parcel with the genre, isn't it?
Not necessarily. I think the Bond films have gotten more interesting over the years, particularly as being sequential story telling. I know I'm stretching the years just a little here, but Mel Gibson's Payback I think is a great example. There is this thin gangster underworld going on and you dont mind it not being expanded on because the characters are written in a quirky way. The charisma is coaxed out of the actors as the cleverness unfolds in the writing. Batman films are very inconsistent when it comes to a compelling and interesting story telling, but they do achieve it, particularly in the last 20 years.

Run of the mill thin storylines overshadowed by action is the template. The great films tend to break the mold. John Wick for me is like Stephen Segal; Millennial edition.

Remove ads