Best Non-ENWorld 3.x D&D Website

cholke

First Post
I hate to say this but...since 4E came out I really find little of use on ENWorld. I am not trying to stir something up and I understand why ENWorld is focused on 4E. I tried reading the new Dragon & Dungeon stuff even for flavor but it just turned me off. It makes me sad to come here, skim over the front page and then go on to another website. Is there another website is more active with 3.x D&D. I like Paizo, but is it my only alternative?

Your help is much appreciated,
Craig

Starbuck_II

First Post
I hate to say this but...since 4E came out I really find little of use on ENWorld. I am not trying to stir something up and I understand why ENWorld is focused on 4E. I tried reading the new Dragon & Dungeon stuff even for flavor but it just turned me off. It makes me sad to come here, skim over the front page and then go on to another website. Is there another website is more active with 3.x D&D. I like Paizo, but is it my only alternative?

Craig
Paizo is more focused on Paizos then 3.5: I've always liked Order of the Stick's website.

Most people there are kind of enough to make [4E] on a topic so you can just avoid reading those if you don't want to.

Craig

There's still a lot of 3.5 discussion on WotC's previous edition forums. Other than that, not much going on elsewhere.

I was considering 3.5 Private Sanctuary, but I'm not too keen on the hosts' presentation style and opinions. They have a tendency to give strong opinions based on incorrect or inaccurate information, and I don't like endorsing that style of reviewing, especially for a site that's billing themselves as the 3.5 D&D audience specifically in the wake of the 4e announcement and release.

I'm digressing. Seriously, the Previous Editions WotC forums aren't that bad. Most of the negativity is floating around the D&DI forums and the 4e forums. The Previous Editions forums are mostly those who like 3.5 and share positive ideas.

Starbuck_II

First Post
There's still a lot of 3.5 discussion on WotC's previous edition forums. Other than that, not much going on elsewhere.

I was considering 3.5 Private Sanctuary, but I'm not too keen on the hosts' presentation style and opinions. They have a tendency to give strong opinions based on incorrect or inaccurate information, and I don't like endorsing that style of reviewing, especially for a site that's billing themselves as the 3.5 D&D audience specifically in the wake of the 4e announcement and release.

I'm digressing. Seriously, the Previous Editions WotC forums aren't that bad. Most of the negativity is floating around the D&DI forums and the 4e forums. The Previous Editions forums are mostly those who like 3.5 and share positive ideas.

I agree with that. Now that Gleemax is gone which seems to have lessen the lag (or did they just get better servers?) it is even better over there.

SpiralBound

Explorer
I too feel the same way, I understand why this had to occur, yet I still miss the 'good ol days' when 3E was an active concern on EnWorld. I've tried 4E and while I can see that it would be a lot of fun for Today's Gamer (TM) it's not for me, so watching EnWorld become practically all 4E in content leaves me out in the cold. I went searching for a 3E news and community site to replace EnWorld, but haven't met with much success. Here's a rundown of my findings so far:

* 3rdedition.org :: Index
This site kinda has a similar layout to what EnWorld pre-4E was like, but no one's posted a news item since 2006, and there's been no new forum posts since December 2007.

* d20news.com - Roleplaying, Dice, Board Games, Miniatures
Really bad layout, no community aspect at all, and doesn't appear to be active.

* RPGnet : Roleplaying Games & More
Their forums do contain a D&D section and it does have some 3E threads, but like EnWorld, they tend to get overshadowed by the 4E posts.

* D&D Previous Editions - Wizards Community
Wizard's "Previous Editions" forums, which while I'm sure is intended to include all previous editions, really only covers 3rd. As another poster pointed out above, these are actually pretty good and are still fairly active. Their only downside is that they only discuss WoTC D&D, so don't go expecting to read much about 3rd party material. Also, of course, this is only a forum, so there's no 3E news either.

So it looks like there's still room for a 3E-specific community site to be started. "3e.com" and & "3ed.com" are being squatted, but "23d20.com" is still available.... Anyone interested/capable of starting up a new home for the 3e refugees? :)

marv

Explorer

Craig, I have the exact same feelings. No longer having En World to frequent for 3rd ed content and news is a huge loss for me. I wish 4th ed well and hope it continues to bring in new players [so that I may convert them to 3.5 or 2.0,] but 4th has no interest for me.
I would be interested in a new site. However, I would be more interest in ways to make 3.5 more prominent within EnWorld again. Yes, I know and understand that 4th ed will be top dog at this site and I very much appreciate the added 3.5 edition content that sometimes gets posted. Perhaps it would be helpful if all those old 3rd edition reviews could be put back on the system and for the review section to allow you to filter on edition? Perhaps the main page could have special 3rd edition only area on it with news, etc.? It's in everyone's best interest to try to keep the "DnD" communities together.
Heck, I know it's easy from the cheap seats for me to suggest this added work for the powers that be at ENworld. But there's no harm in asking.

aboyd

Explorer
This forum from Billiant Gameologists is supposed to be for 3.5 and below:

D&D Deliberations

It seems OK. A bit like this forum. I guess if you just wanted "more 3.5 edition community" then this would help.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Craig, I have the exact same feelings. No longer having En World to frequent for 3rd ed content and news is a huge loss for me. I wish 4th ed well and hope it continues to bring in new players [so that I may convert them to 3.5 or 2.0,] but 4th has no interest for me.
I would be interested in a new site. However, I would be more interest in ways to make 3.5 more prominent within EnWorld again. Yes, I know and understand that 4th ed will be top dog at this site and I very much appreciate the added 3.5 edition content that sometimes gets posted. Perhaps it would be helpful if all those old 3rd edition reviews could be put back on the system and for the review section to allow you to filter on edition? Perhaps the main page could have special 3rd edition only area on it with news, etc.? It's in everyone's best interest to try to keep the "DnD" communities together.
Heck, I know it's easy from the cheap seats for me to suggest this added work for the powers that be at ENworld. But there's no harm in asking.

I don't know how far along it is going, but I know that Morrus has asked for help in porting the old reviews into the new systems (maybe go look in the Meta forum). Another thing to do is to post discussions of 3.X content in the General RPG discussion forum -- try to keep to reviews/adventure points, though, as they seem to shuffle everything off to rules forums quickly. (Though I notice some 4e threads, like monster conversion ones, slipping through; we could try requesting those be moved.)

Ashtagon

Adventurer
There is a forum dedicated to 3rd edition at The Piazza. I am more than happy to host 3rd edition discussions there. So far, the site has remained almost perfectly free from flames, trolls, and edition wars. It's a very friendly crowd.

Remove ads