• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best of the humourous art over the years

malkav666

First Post
3rd edition iconic fighter (redgar I think). I always found it humorous that he was dying or getting beat on in pretty much every single book. One of the first things my group would do upon getting a new splat was to find the Redgar death/beat down art. I felt bad for the guy by the end of 3.x.

love,

malkav

FireLance

Legend
Can't provide links to the art, but some of the cartoons from Dragon magazine that I remember most fondly were:

1. An unfortunate adventurer, flattened against the wall by a huge boulder, with only his hands and feet showing, while a priestly-looking character in a robe looked at a roll of parchment, and said to a facepalming halfling, "Hey, you're right! I did have a scroll of protection. Bummer." This was especially funny to me because at the time, I was playing with a cleric who could never remember which spells he had prepared.

2. An enormous hulk of a barbarian, shackled to a tree and peppered with arrows that only lightly penetrated his skin, while a short distance away, a bearded official crossed numbers off a scrap of parchment and informed a group of nervous-looking archers, "Sorry boys, he's still got 36 hit points left."

Some of the dragonmirths still make me chuckle just thinking about them.

- A row of archers are standing atop a castle wall. Below the wall is the advancing enemy force. One solider in the front rank is lying dead with about 20 arrows in him. One of the archers says " hey look we all aimed at the same guy".

- A magic user sits on a stoop with his arm around his depressed fighter buddy and says " Don't worry, a lot of fighters have swords smater than they are".

:lol: Good stuff.

For more general D&D art, a lot of Jim Holloway's pieces had a great sense of humor about them.

babomb

First Post
I always thought the picture of the Invisible Stalker in the monster manual was pretty funny. (It was just a blank space.)

Then in 3e, they actually tried to do art for it. :erm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads