D&D 5E Best way to get advantage in DnD

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I’ve seen team bad guy lose quicker because they took 1-3 attacks to kill a familiar, when the PCs hit most of their attacks anyway.

Advantage just isn’t that big a deal.

Hell, I’ve got an owl familiar in one game that has mithral barding crafted by a gnome master crafter, so it rarely gets hit even when I have enemies try, but...so what? They spent gold and downtime and made a cool thing, even had it enchanted so it comes back with the owl and changes shape if they summon the familiar as something else. It’s cool.

The game very much runs just fine with the familiar not getting attacked.

My own character has a familiar that is a wolf, via DM permission. It’s fine.
I find the "how useful is the familiar in combat" discussion interesting, just because it always seems to provoke a "what color is the dress"-level of vitriolic argument online that really doesn't match any issues at the table. (I've had games where the familiar gets swatted constantly, and others where it's been ignored constantly, and nobody has issues either way.)

I think there's a playstyle difference that causes this split, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. It isn't quite a "running the battles to be challenging" versus "running the battles as an accurate monster simulation" difference, it seems more to be a "what level of functional game awareness is realistic for the monsters to have" distinction.

Maestrino

Explorer
Heh. I can see most non-caster enemies not knowing what a familiar is and ignoring it. ("damn bird! Get out of my face while I smack this annoying wizard!")

I can also see an absolutely paranoid wizard just blasting random small animals. ("That weasel was spying on me!")

ad_hoc

(they/them)
"I had trouble fighting Giants until I showed them a toad. That forced them to drop their guard so I could land my fatal blows."

Familiars "Helping" in combat is a terrible loophole in the rules - unless - it is a Pact of the Chain Familiar who should be able to because they have the ability to attack and can thus pose a threat.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Super broken unless GM always kills Familiar first (imo)

We've used it for years and it's never been an issue. It's not used every round for sure, but when appropriate we do it. Sometimes the familiar dies, but often not. What has happened to your games when this has been done that makes you feel it breaks your games?

jasper

Rotten DM
What is the best way to get advantage on attack rolls in DnD Adventures league? My character is going to be three levels of warlock/Hexblade and the rest being divine soul sorcerer. I’m going to get pact of the chain with the invocations being gift of the ever living ones and agonizing blast. Is there any other option besides the spell Enhance Ability? The best I can think of is a Greater Invisibility + Extended Metamagic
Go go Team Tactics. I been running AL for over 200 sessions, there are no BEST ways to get advantage by your build alone. Talk with your table mates and depending on the combat you can gain advantage in multiple ways. However ROTTTEN FAIRY GOPARENTS FIRE. Um Faire Fire seems to be the spell my monsters miss the most.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Go go Team Tactics. I been running AL for over 200 sessions, there are no BEST ways to get advantage by your build alone. Talk with your table mates and depending on the combat you can gain advantage in multiple ways. However ROTTTEN FAIRY GOPARENTS FIRE. Um Faire Fire seems to be the spell my monsters miss the most.

It would be cool to have every group of monsters the PCs encounter have someone who can cast Faerie Fire. Cool as in "Now I HAVE NO PLAYERS LEFT :cry:" sort of cool.

Remove ads