D&D 5E Better Beasts?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
N

maybe frighten to force prey to run (wolves always attack from behind) with pack hunting tactics being trip-hold-swarm

I remember a BBC documentary where the wolves ran pass a buffalo herd and located a lone bull. The wolves then stopped, took time to drink and waited until the bull went down on its knees.

somehow the wolves had detected that the lone bull was dying (so some special scent feat to detect low hp?)
I like the idea of wolves and dogs having the ability to smell if a creature is at, above, or below, half their HP, and if they are under the effect of a disease or poison.

dave2008

Legend
1629037804859.png

Golder Amur by Raphtor

Amur TigerChallenge 3
Large beast, unaligned700 XP
1599650724997.png

Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 76 (9d10 + 27; bloodied 38)
Speed 40 ft.
1599650726113.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
20 (+5)16 (+3)16 (+3)3 (-4)12 (+1)10 (+0)
1599650727100.png

Saving Throws Dex +5, Con +5
Skills Athletics +7, Perception +5, Stealth +5
Senses Darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 13
Languages --
Proficiency Bonus +2 Maneuver DC 15
1599650728132.png

Brute. A melee weapon deals one extra die of its damage when the tiger hits with it (included in the attack).

Feline Speed (2/ Short Rest). When the tiger takes the Dash action it can move at 4 times its speed (160 ft.) during this movement.

Keen Senses. The tiger has advantage on Wisdom (Perception).

Pounce. If the tiger moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The tiger makes two claw attacks.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (3d6 + 5) slashing damage. Additionally, if the tiger hits the same target with two claw attacks on the same turn, the target is also grappled.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target that is grappled by the tiger or incapacitated. Hit: 18 (3d8 + 5) piercing damage.

BONUS ACTION
Feline Agility.
The tiger can take the Dash or Disengage action.

Ferocious Bite. The tiger can make a bite attack against a prone or incapacitated creature or a creature it has grappled.

REACTIONS
Throat Bite. If a creature is grappled by the tiger at the end of the creature's turn, the tiger makes a bite attack against it with

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
Here are some suggestions, taken from the Imaginary Bestiary Vol I-III:

Ape, Laser
Archaeopteryx, Acidic
Baboon, Phantom
Barracuda, Land
Bat, Orc
Beetle, Alchemical
Beetle, Mesmeric
Caterpillar, Famine
Centipede, Dreadful
Cetacean Telepath
Crocodile, Blade
Crow, Murderous
Cuckoo, Cloud
Doom Locust
Dragon Badger
Eagle, Stone
Eel, Fright
Fightingale
Fox, Thought
Giggling Simian
Goose, Misty
Grebe, Star-Flesh
Half-Stag
Hart of Ten
Heron, Scintillating
Horse, Witch’s
Hound, Skulk
Invisiwolf
Kingfisher, Gigantic
Koala, Extra-Venomous
Monkey, Powder
Narwhal, Sky
Octodactyl
Orangutan Apemancer
Overbear
Overwhale
Owl, Lich
Owlosopher
Ox, Shock
Pig, Chaos
Pike, Pike
Polecat, Magnetic
Political Animal
Python, Tangle
Shrew, Telekinetic
Snail, Grail
Sword Bird
Tortoise, Enormous Sorcerous
Trogon, Tonitruous
Velvet Worm, Titanic
Weasel, Cold
Weta, Naphtha
Wolf, Victory
Wolf, Winged

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I really like what's been posted in this thread so far!

I recall seeing someone post about wanting beasts with more magical or supernatural elements without them being Monstrosities. This is something I have been brainstorming myself. I decided for my world to bring back the clear magical divide of Divine, Arcane, and Primal magic, so I wanted to create another category/template for more ancient and powerful beasts that have been infused with the primal magics of the environments they inhabit. I'd call them Primal beasts and they would have different abilities, resistances/immunities, and even small amounts of supernatural/primal magic powers and effects they can use depending on where they commonly reside.

So for example, a primal beast of the artic lands could have resistances or immunity to cold damage, the ability to magically camouflage in ice and snow, could maybe ice walk or climb icy surfaces, could due cold damage with their attacks, and so one.

dave2008

Legend
I really like what's been posted in this thread so far!

I recall seeing someone post about wanting beasts with more magical or supernatural elements without them being Monstrosities. This is something I have been brainstorming myself. I decided for my world to bring back the clear magical divide of Divine, Arcane, and Primal magic, so I wanted to create another category/template for more ancient and powerful beasts that have been infused with the primal magics of the environments they inhabit. I'd call them Primal beasts and they would have different abilities, resistances/immunities, and even small amounts of supernatural/primal magic powers and effects they can use depending on where they commonly reside.

So for example, a primal beast of the artic lands could have resistances or immunity to cold damage, the ability to magically camouflage in ice and snow, could maybe ice walk or climb icy surfaces, could due cold damage with their attacks, and so one.
I've been doing something similar, though I only made the beast lords which I called "Sovereign Beasts." I recently finished a first pass on several of them (I think they still need some work, maybe legendary actions):

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So with the recent news that T-Rex likely had an intelligence similar to a baboons, I decided to update some stat-blocks. I give you the new and improved:

Tyrannosaurus (standard, CR 10)
Tyrannosaurus Alpha (Elite, CR 10)

That's very cool.

Also has anyone compiled all these stat-blocks yet?

I'm working on a dnd-lite game and I think the monster stat blocks will largely remain the same, maybe simplified a bit.

Remove ads