"Better TV/Movies Than They Have Any Right To Be"

Ryujin

Legend
The Orville. Because, really, Seth MacFarlane does a decent sci-fi show? Who saw that coming?

Santa Clarita Diet. Because "my mom's a suburbanite zombie" shouldn't work any more than cheerleader vampire hunter.

Currently, I'd say Syfy's Resident Alien fits the bill as well.

As a by-the-way, Shrek and Legally Blond also make better Broadway musicals than you'd expect.
I'd agree on "Resident Alien." i think that I've mentioned here, before, what i think the basic concept reflects. Pitch Meeting: "What if we remade 'Northern Exposure', but swap out the New York City doctor for an alien? BRILLIANT!"

I could think of any number of web series that would qualify, but will only name one indie film; "Project London." It has absolutely nothing to do with London. It stars a bunch of unknowns. It was filmed in the Seattle area, on a shoestring budget, and all of the special effects were done by dozens of volunteers. The only outside funding was for distribution. (If you're at all interested it has since been made free to watch and is available on Youtube.)

"The Specials" - James Gunn's first superhero film, made in 2000. He even plays a part in it (Minute Man. No, that's MINUTE Man!) It's a day in the life of the 7th best superhero team in the US. You would recognize most of the faces in it, but no one is an "A" lister (arguably perhaps Rob Lowe, when he isn't hawking Atkins Bars) It has made it to the list of my all-time favourite movies, though most people have never heard of it.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'd agree on "Resident Alien." i think that I've mentioned here, before, what i think the basic concept reflects. Pitch Meeting: "What if we remade 'Northern Exposure', but swap out the New York City doctor for an alien? BRILLIANT!"

I could think of any number of web series that would qualify, but will only name one indie film; "Project London." It has absolutely nothing to do with London. It stars a bunch of unknowns. It was filmed in the Seattle area, on a shoestring budget, and all of the special effects were done by dozens of volunteers. The only outside funding was for distribution. (If you're at all interested it has since been made free to watch and is available on Youtube.)

"The Specials" - James Gunn's first superhero film, made in 2000. He even plays a part in it (Minute Man. No, that's MINUTE Man!) It's a day in the life of the 7th best superhero team in the US. You would recognize most of the faces in it, but no one is an "A" lister (arguably perhaps Rob Lowe, when he isn't hawking Atkins Bars) It has made ti to the list of my all-time favourite movies, though most people have never heard of it.
The Specials is amazing!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - probably the Ur-text of weird concept and terrible title becoming a pantheon show.

The series would never have existed if not for the awesome movie that came first. Peewee Herman as a vampire and that super corny death scene they gave him. lol

As for the topic, a lot of firsts in a series of movies can count for this. No one saw what the success of Ironman would lead to, or if the movie would even be any good.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think Terminator and Robocop aren't to absurd for sci fi pitches.

Married With Children. Think about sitcoms in the 80's and before the late 90's. Every character is a horrible person.

Red Dwarf. Sitcom set in space millions of years in the future with a sentient cat.

Ryujin

Legend
I think Terminator and Robocop aren't to absurd for sci fi pitches.

Married With Children. Think about sitcoms in the 80's and before the late 90's. Every character is a horrible person.

Red Dwarf. Sitcom set in space millions of years in the future with a sentient cat.
I think that "Married: With Children" was lightning in a bottle. Other shows tried very similar models and failed miserably. For example does anyone remember "Unhappily Ever After"? I'm betting not despite the fact that it starred redheaded bombshell Nikki Cox.

Mallus

Legend
The original Robocop. I remember seeing the trailer in the 1980s and thinking, what a stupid stupid name for a movie. Turns out it is one of the best sci fi action movies ever and is still fun to watch today. It has aged extremely well and has a very nuanced story about what it means to be a human.
I’ll see your Robocop (which is one of the all-time great SF action movies, plus a wonderful satire of... well, America) and raise you Demolition Man, which qualifies for the thread, I do believe.

MarkB

Legend
I’ll see your Robocop (which is one of the all-time great SF action movies, plus a wonderful satire of... well, America) and raise you Demolition Man, which qualifies for the thread, I do believe.

A far better use of Stallone than that horrible "Judge Dredd" in name only movie.
In many ways it was the movie Judge Dredd should have been. Its take on the future shared the same sardonic humour that was present in the original comics, and Stallone's performance demonstrated that he could easily have pulled off the role, making his actual performance as Judge Dredd even more tragic.

Remove ads