"Better TV/Movies Than They Have Any Right To Be"

Dire Bare

Legend
I’ll see your Robocop (which is one of the all-time great SF action movies, plus a wonderful satire of... well, America) and raise you Demolition Man, which qualifies for the thread, I do believe.
Is Demolition Man good though? It's certainly enjoyable . . . can a film be not-good yet enjoyable? If so, that's Demolition Man!

aco175

Legend
Starship Troopers and even Battlefield Earth. Maybe this is just wishing.

South Park- mostly since they treat everyone as targets of humor and are not shy about it. Most of the other cartoons I do not find funny.

Zardnaar

Legend
My expectations for Matrix 4 are rock bottom. It's not like part 2 and 3 were that good either.

Recently rewatched Aliens and Predators franchises which got added to disney+. Liked 3 and Resurrection.

Also did The Wire a month or two ago. That show is so so good.

Firefly+Serenity rewatch was also great.

The Wire was very different at the time but came close to 99's where things were a lot more gritty and dark anyway in pop culture.

I'd like to throw some Roger Corman into the mix. He makes schlock. It's supposed to be schlock. It's made for the purpose of being schlock. And yet, every once in while, it turns out amazing. I suggest:

- Galaxy of Terror. Special effects by a young James Cameron. Sid Haig and Robert Englund in the cast. A legit scary premise. WAY better than I expected.

- Death Race 2000. Classic sci-fi story. David Carradine and Sylvester Stalone. Social commentary that ages so much better than anyone could have expected.

- Dementia 13. Roger Corman with a baby Francis Ford Coppola. Not my favorite horror movie by any means. But you can totally see Coppola's Oscar level directing shine through the low budget.

Ryujin

Legend
Somewhat ironically I think that the old schlock "Death Race 2000" is overall better than the more recent entries, starring folks like Jason Statham. The 2008 film lost something in its move to straight action, from political satire, in much the same way that both the new "Robocop" and "Total Recall" did.

Zardnaar

Legend
Be careful not to confuse the folks in the US who do not have access to that. lol

Star is the Disney+ section for normal, adult-aimed movies that is only available outside the US.

Oh didn't know that. Star has lots of good stuff on it. Probably do X-men this weekend.

Die Hard 4. Way better than expected might be the second best one maybe third.

Trilogies often work, number 4 often eh.

Remove ads