Blizzard at Revel's End (OOC) Temporary Hiatus

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Let's look at this (I have never paid any attention to material components before, beyond being vaguely aware of them as fluff while playing a spellcaster - which I don't do very often at all):

Friends "a little makeup applied to the face"
Hex "a petrified newt's eye"
Mage Armour "a piece of cured leather"
Minor Illusion "a bit of fleece"

Unless you think Burton has been following the prison rules to the letter, I think he could have squirrelled all of that about his person (say, sewn into a false pocket in his prison trousers). Just in case. (No pun on your name).

Of course, the 'makeup' is a bit of soot soaked in rationed beer, the 'petrified newt's eye' is a dried rat's eye, the 'cured leather' is a piece stolen from a worn-out shoe, and the fleece is from your bedding (you got fleece instead of straw because of your nobility, lucky you).

Awesome! As a DM I usually wandwave this too, but I didn’t want to assume.

Thanks!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Awesome! As a DM I usually wandwave this too, but I didn’t want to assume.

Thanks!

I definitely appreciate some thought being put into it. I tend to be generous with things as long as a simple story-based solution is presented. I like the idea of the dried rat's eye. A thing I love to do is to come up with a story-reason when things fail (or are sub-par). Like, if you roll low on your Hex d6 you can complain about the dried rat's eye not being as good for the spell as the petrified newt's eye - or alternately if you keep rolling high, maybe it's working perfectly!

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I definitely appreciate some thought being put into it. I tend to be generous with things as long as a simple story-based solution is presented. I like the idea of the dried rat's eye. A thing I love to do is to come up with a story-reason when things fail (or are sub-par). Like, if you roll low on your Hex d6 you can complain about the dried rat's eye not being as good for the spell as the petrified newt's eye - or alternately if you keep rolling high, maybe it's working perfectly!

i came across this today: Is eye of newt a real thing?

how à propos! So eye of newt is actually mustard seed ;-)
Cheers,

Sg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
i came across this today: Is eye of newt a real thing?

how à propos! So eye of newt is actually mustard seed ;-)
Cheers,

Sg
Oh yes! The traditional 'potion' "Eye of Newt" is mustard seed, I recall that. I think the D&D spell really meant an eye, though. But good point! We can't (and probably shouldn't) take the material components literal-100%-gotta-be-this-thing. They're for flavour (no mustard-puns intended... well, maybe a little).

Remove ads