Blizzard at Revel's End (OOC) Temporary Hiatus

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think Thorbin gets a reaction attack from the whale or the rider, if within reach, before the round starts (assuming they appeared within reach last round before this one started). Just in case, I’ll post attack & damage (preference for the rider, but he’ll stab the whale if he can’t reach the rider) and I’ll always include in the rolls for the current round (is a fish men approached him, Thorbin should get another Aoo this round).
Cheers,

sg

Oh yeah, I guess the 'whale' came within reach of his pike (though not the rider). You can take a shot at the orca. Someone is probably going to come within reach of his pike this round too, so feel free to throw in an extra attack (or move up onto the main deck for some fish-killing mayhem).

You will note that I have often put the word 'whale' in quotes. As a pacific north-wester, I am terribly annoyed by people referring to ORCAS as whales. They are not whales. Still, I don't think that D&D characters would know or care about the difference. (This is also why I keep calling the sahuagin "fish-men". Probably only Jathlin knows what they are, and who knows if even he knows or cares? They're from a far-north tribe, too, so they might not even resemble sahuagin that he's familiar with.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
@Kobold Stew you definitely can't catch the crab - it's 110' up (I let you get away with reaching for it last time, when it should have been 50' up (I kind of think of everything as happening simultaneously, so while it was 50' up by the end of round 1, you might have caught him before he got there. By the end of round 2 he's 110' up. He'll crest the top at the end of this round.
That's a fast climbing crab. In that case it's whale vs. octopus!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 123

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's a fast climbing crab. In that case it's whale vs. octopus!

That IS a fast-climbing crab. In fact, it's *to*o fast. It doesn't have a 30-foot climb speed, so it should only be "dashing" and going 30 feet total in a round. Which means I've miscalculated and it's 'only' 50 feet up at the end of round 2. So it has 110-feet of climb left to go. My mistake. Still, you might want to go after the 'whale'.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
So, I'm thinking of a crazy stunt!

Is it possible to:
Jump on the back of the orca.
Use Disarming Attack to knock that conch out of the fishwoman's hands.
Pick up said conch (while holding on to that whale blubber and the pike too).
Then teleport away.

I know that's quite a feat, and it might be more feasible if Py'Cott drops something. But I figured I should ask if I could even attempt such a thing first.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So, I'm thinking of a crazy stunt!
Yay!

Is it possible to:

Jump on the back of the orca.
Use Disarming Attack to knock that conch out of the fishwoman's hands.
Pick up said conch (while holding on to that whale blubber and the pike too).
Then teleport away.

I know that's quite a feat, and it might be more feasible if Py'Cott drops something. But I figured I should ask if I could even attempt such a thing first.
I can't imagine how you'd do it while holding 30-lbs of whale fat and a pike. Tucked under your arm, maybe? Also, catching the conch before it falls in the water (assuming you succeed in knocking it out of her hand) is a mighty task indeed.

I love it.

SO... Athletics (or Acrobatics, if you like) to leap onto the orca without just falling in the water: dc12 (with the pike); or dc16 (with the whale fat); or dc22 (with both). Sleight-of-Hand to catch the conch (same dc's based on what you're carrying, but the dc of catching will be only 10 if you have both hands free (you can drop the pike for free after the disarm roll). I'm also going to get you to roll the disarm (as opposed to her rolling a strength save... so I can be blameless. The dc for that is 12. (You have a 13 save dc for your maneuvers, so for the purposes of you rolling it, your bonus is +3)

That means "ALL" you have to do to succeed is three checks (looking at your character, that's) Athletics +5 (vs dc 12 to 22); Disarm +3 (vs dc12); and SoH +1 (vs dc 10 to 22). Good luck! Think of the kudos if you succeed, or the hilarity if you fail!

(You will only fall in the water if you fail the athletics roll at all, or the sleight-of-hand by more than 5).

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I think those are the feats you meant to take, so that's not a problem. If I provoke, just take your reaction as an extra attack on your following turn (same thing with when you drop a guy) - I don't want to deal with too many interrupting actions in PBP (I hate to backtrack). I get that it probably makes the abilities a little "weaker" that way, but they're good enough as it is, and PBP can get complicated if we do reactions properly. In the rare instance that it might make a life-or-death difference, We'll worry about it then.

(This goes for Lex and Shield as well. If I hit him for damage and you want to use shield, just say something like "Lex created a shimmering disk and the arrow bounced off" while taking your next turn, and I'll adjust the damage.)

...Or however it works out. We'll all just do our best.
I will often put in an Opportunity Attack roll. It's there if it's needed. If it isn't, then it's ignored.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Hmm, I may have been too opportunistic with my spell selection, in particular the availability of spell components during this fight. At least I think an eldritch knight is still required to provide the M part of spells, right?

That means Friends, Hex, Mage Armor and Minor Illusion are off the table. Is there a close and obvious way for Burton to get access to spell components?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hmm, I may have been too opportunistic with my spell selection, in particular the availability of spell components during this fight. At least I think an eldritch knight is still required to provide the M part of spells, right?

That means Friends, Hex, Mage Armor and Minor Illusion are off the table. Is there a close and obvious way for Burton to get access to spell components?
Let's look at this (I have never paid any attention to material components before, beyond being vaguely aware of them as fluff while playing a spellcaster - which I don't do very often at all):

Friends "a little makeup applied to the face"
Hex "a petrified newt's eye"
Mage Armour "a piece of cured leather"
Minor Illusion "a bit of fleece"

Unless you think Burton has been following the prison rules to the letter, I think he could have squirrelled all of that about his person (say, sewn into a false pocket in his prison trousers). Just in case. (No pun on your name).

Of course, the 'makeup' is a bit of soot soaked in rationed beer, the 'petrified newt's eye' is a dried rat's eye, the 'cured leather' is a piece stolen from a worn-out shoe, and the fleece is from your bedding (you got fleece instead of straw because of your nobility, lucky you).

Remove ads