• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Booming blade and green flame blade for clerics

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
That is WOTC's sin. They're the one that actually put those ill-conceived spells out there, readily accessible to every class.
Well, I wouldn't go that far; I actually really like the melee attack cantrips. (I'm actually playing a homebrew class based around using them in my Strahd game.) I just feel the synergy between them and clerics is strong enough that I'm glad a feat or multiclassing (or race choice) is required to get them.

Ganymede81

First Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far; I actually really like the melee attack cantrips. (I'm actually playing a homebrew class based around using them in my Strahd game.) I just feel the synergy between them and clerics is strong enough that I'm glad a feat or multiclassing (or race choice) is required to get them.

I like the idea of melee attack cantrips, I just don't like their weird implementation that makes them meh for warriors and mages, but fantastic for clerics and rogues.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Or the Arcana domain in the same book as the cantrips...

Arcana Domain said:
[h=2]Arcane Initiate[/h]When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain proficiency in the Arcana skill, and you gain two cantrips of your choice from the Wizard Spell List. For you, these cantrips count as cleric cantrips.

Last edited:

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Kind of funny because then they give early access and allow multiclassing and Bard can get Swift quiver before ranger and out ranger him.

Then they have a feat that allows just that, cleric domains give out exactly spells like that, let's not forget Paladin's also get non Paladin spells. I have to disagree when they provided multiple v ways to cross get spells from other classes
Each of those methods comes with a significant opportunity cost. And sharply limited numbers.

Last edited:

hejtmane

Explorer
Each of those methods comes with a significant opportunity cost. And sharply limited numbers.
Not really a straight Bard being able to out ranger a ranger is just funny. Cleric pick something other than life boom ball lighting etc etc a level dip right class nothing loss and can be better than a feat just depends

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Not really a straight Bard being able to out ranger a ranger is just funny. Cleric pick something other than life boom ball lighting etc etc a level dip right class nothing loss and can be better than a feat just depends

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yes, really. No, the spell alone does not let a bard out-ranger a ranger. Feats cost an ASI. Each level "dip" requires 1) higher ability scores in frequently non-prime stats to qualify and 2) delays ASI/feat and spell progression by half a spell level.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Giving it to them as a freebie is definitely OP.

As is, it requires a feat or choosing high elf or half-elf with high elf variant. That's a significant opportunity cost to get. Without that, you're allowing races to be chosen with better synergy for the cleric with no balancing factor.

I have a human arcana cleric that–at 20th-level–does 4d8+15 to a primary target and 3d8+10 (not including magical items or other spells like spiritual hammer and spirit guardians) to a secondary target with Shillelagh and Green-Flame Blade. That requires the Magic Initiate feat to make reality and it is, so far, the best melee damage cleric I've seen.

Try Booming Blade on tempest Cleric. IIRC at 17th level its weapon + ability + 2d8 thunder + 4d8 Booming Blade and then 5d8 if it moves, which it will since you will push it 10 ‘ with the classes other feature. Don’t have the books but I thinks that right.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

smbakeresq

Explorer
Yes, really. No, the spell alone does not let a bard out-ranger a ranger. Feats cost an ASI. Each level "dip" requires 1) higher ability scores in frequently non-prime stats to qualify and 2) delays ASI/feat and spell progression by half a spell level.

Yes and no. A Bard should probably dip lvl 1 into Sorcerer to get booming blade plus others and CON saves then go Bard rest of way. You get full spell progression but spell levels are delayed 1 level and several worthwhile benefits using only CHR. Feats are delayed half a level but it’s worth it.

I am playing a Stone Sorcerer 1/ Bard + Dragonborn with booming blade, Greenflame blade, wrathful Smite, thunderous Smite and having a great time. If you get warcaster you can cast Dissonant Whispers, force them to move, get the OA, use booming blade and then get bonus damage right away.

Now as far as this post, I would give booming blade to a tempest Cleric in exchange for something as a DM. Seems to fit thematically and makes sense. Clerics though, many of whom can delay an ASI in wis as many good Cleric spells have no save, can fit in BB.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Try Booming Blade on tempest Cleric. IIRC at 17th level its weapon + ability + 2d8 thunder + 4d8 Booming Blade and then 5d8 if it moves, which it will since you will push it 10 ‘ with the classes other feature. Don’t have the books but I thinks that right.

Not bad but it requires a channel divinity. The arcane cleric I have does this every turn with zero resource expenditure.

Remove ads