D&D 5E Boop

What is the best Chassis for a 5e Warlord class?

• Artificer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Sorcerer

• Druid

• Wizard

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 9 14.5%

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I hate to be this guy, but as I said in a previous thread, I would use the UA Mystic with a trimmed list of disciplines only and change psi-points to command points.

But, if I had to choose from the list, I would go with the warlock's:
  • At will maneuvers
  • Few short rest tactics that automatically increases in power up to a certain level
  • Daily masterplans

I have in mind to replicate the AED progressions of 4e and converting a short list of warlord powers. Something like this:

Level

Feature

Warcries

Known

(At-Will)

Exploits

Uses

(Short rest)

Masterplans

Uses

(Long rest)

Tactics, Bolstering Words

Fighting Style, Superior Awareness

Warlord's Presence

ASI

Greater Recovery

Presence's Feature

-

ASI, Potent Maneuvers (1d8)

-

ASI

Resurgence

ASI

-

Presence's Feature, Potent Maneuvers (2d8)

-

ASI

Presence's Feature

Shared Victory

ASI

Victory Before Battle

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I hate to be this guy, but as I said in a previous thread, I would use the UA Mystic with a trimmed list of disciplines only and change psi-points to command points.

But, if I had to choose from the list, I would go with the warlock's:
  • At will maneuvers
  • Few short rest tactics that automatically increases in power up to a certain level
  • Daily masterplans

I have in mind to replicate the AED progressions of 4e and converting a short list of warlord powers. Something like this:

Level

Feature

Warcries

Known

(At-Will)

Exploits

Uses

(Short rest)

Masterplans

Uses

(Long rest)

Tactics, Bolstering Words

Fighting Style, Superior Awareness

Warlord's Presence

ASI

Greater Recovery

Presence's Feature

-

ASI, Potent Maneuvers (1d8)

-

ASI

Resurgence

ASI

-

Presence's Feature, Potent Maneuvers (2d8)

-

ASI

Presence's Feature

Shared Victory

ASI

Victory Before Battle

I get where you’re coming from, but I think it’s best to use a martial class as the model. Part of the Mystic’s issue is that it’s too complicated as a base class.
Also, IMO, it should be a warrior class.

doctorbadwolf

Yeah, I feel @lowkey13 might be be right, the monk has the right ratio of difficulty and its somewhat martial.
Yep, and Ki and martial arts are a really strong model for a scaling bonus and a limited resource.
I’d guess that we could add about the same damage as MA to ally attacks, scaling about the same. “Once per turn when you use the attack action, you can lead the attack. The next ally who hits a creature you can see with an attack deals damage equal to your Leadership Die.” Or something vaguely along those lines.
Then ki could either be XYZ points, or be stripped out and replaced with dice. But unless we can make it work to have the same die progression in the Leadership Dice and the Inspiration Dice or whatever, I’d recommend keeping it to points.

doctorbadwolf

Paladin and Bard are jumping out right away. I wouldn’t recommend Bard. I think it’s just the overlapping concept that people associate, not any mechanical convergence.

Sacrosanct

Legend
As mentioned in the other thread, I am going warlock (sort of warlock/cleric hybrid actually). We know WotC isn't going to create a new class that introduces new mechanics to learn, so it has to fit into an existing system. And I think warlock does that nicely. Why?

Warlord features can be broken down into three categories: minor abilities that can be used at will, major abilities that have a recharge, and a specialized theme (the INT vs CHA warlord, etc as mentioned in the other thread)

So...

Minor abilities are cantrips, major abilities are spells that scale like the warlock, and specialized theme are invocations. Just call them something different of course. The only change you'd have to do with the class chassis is instead of having as many pact features, you have other warlord features (like a battle warlord getting better armor and weapons and extra attack, while a tactician warlord possibly getting bonuses to initiative or swapping initiative or something that replicates a bless spell for example).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases