D&D 5E Bow Expert Feat

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
TL;DR
Feat: Bow Expert
“You have had extensive training with bows of most types that don’t have a mechanical mechanism to them. You have mastered the range of the weapon to it’s fullest.”
•You ignore the heavy properties of bows you wield.
•The range of both ranges of the bow is doubled.
•When you use your attack action with a bow you can notch two arrows instead of one. You suffer a -3 to hit with both arrows and can only target two targets that are within 10ft of each other or the same target.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Why this feat over sharpshooter?

how would you ignore two-handed property? one handed bow shooting?

is the 3rd feature an extra attack as a bonus action or just time needed to place an extra arrow, then shoot it as an action, somewhat similar to 3.5e manyshot?

ccs

41st lv DM
??
How would one ignore the two-handed property of a bow?
One hands busy holding the thing, one hands busy feeding it ammo....
It's kind of the defining feature of how you make this type of weapon work.

Want proof your idea needs some further consideration?
Not even Hawkeye/Green Arrow/Legolas/or Robin Hood have ever mastered this feat - not even in the worst of their worst comics & film outings. (Ok, in the DK Returns comics series Green Arrow uses 1 hand & a foot.... But still, two appendages.)
If even comic book writers & Hollywood haven't done it....

And you want to give this super power to a 1st lv D&D character?

Oh, and btw; Slings are not bows & should not be included in a bow feat.

jasper

Rotten DM
•You ignore the heavy properties of bows. (so nasty hobbits and tinker gnomes won't take this.)
•The range of both ranges of the bow increases by 50ft for you.
•When you use a short bow you can use your bonus action to attack with a -5 to hit.
How do like my changes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
•You ignore the heavy properties of bows. (so nasty hobbits and tinker gnomes won't take this.)
•The range of both ranges of the bow increases by 50ft for you.
•When you use a short bow you can use your bonus action to attack with a -5 to hit.
How do like my changes.
I wouldn’t limit the bonus action attack to short bows, tbh.

MarkB

Legend
Rather than (or maybe in addition to) notching a second arrow for an extra attack, maybe you can add a second arrow in order to increase the damage of one of your normal attacks, in classic cinematic shooting-two-arrows-at-once style. When doing so, your attack deals an additional +2 damage.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The 50' of additional range is an odd number to include. It doesn't seem to have sense behind it.

The bows have 150/600 and 80/320. While I object to the typical feat that removes disadvantage at range, I don't think an arbitrary 50' makes sense either.

Maybe, something like "the weapon's normal range is doubled" would make a sense within the fiction.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases