D&D 3E/3.5 Brainstorming an oddball character. (Again? Again.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My odd brain & I want to do a multiclassed martial Arcanist who is a:

1) Anthropomorphic Dog (Border Collie, Samoyed, Husky or Malamute) or Wolf
2) with 3 heads
3) with the cryo template.
4) alignment is CG or LG.

The core class will be a Battle Sorcerer because I want him to have the Celestial Sorcerer and Celestial Sorcerer Lance. As secondary classes, I’m considering Bard, Beguiler, Duskblade and other armored arcane caster classes. Dark horse classes like Marshall, Fighter or even Paladin, etc. could work, depending on final concept, as long as the PC can wear at least medium armor. A psionic instead of arcane version could also be acceptable.

Working PC name: Sir Floof Goodboi, but I may translate the surname to a different language.
Personality: matches the name- a charming big ball of (mostly) white fur who happens to be skilled in swordplay and spellcasting. Everybody’s pal. Always smiling (and wagging tail). Anthro type & breed will affect personality/roleplay.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t want to go TOO far out. I mean, I liked The Thing With Two Heads for what it was, but I don’t want to go down that path!

So...maybe shades of personality differences, but not full-on seperate beings with distinct classes in one body. (I don’t think many DMs would let that happen in a player character.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This guy wants to be your friend, and he’s using all of his charisma to do it. He doesn’t want confrontation, but if pushed, he will stand up for what is good & right. Think...Dudley Dooright, a little Leo Buscaglia. Bob Ross. Mr. Rogers.

Don’t know yet if he’s a melee or ranged warrior by preference. Most martial arcanists make better ranged combatants, given their general squishiness, but I could also see this guy as a 2WF or sword & board build. Even 2HF might work conceptually, but it would be a LOT harder to pull off effectively. This character will always be feat starved.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Since I want to minimize MAD, I don’t want to MC with classes with special features that aren’t mostly charisma driven (IOW, spells, auras, or what have you.)

Right now, Fighter with the Armored Mage ACF is a leading contender as the core martial class.

Class: Fighter.

Level: 1st.

Special Requirement: Knowledge (arcana) 1 rank.

Replaces: You lose proficiency with medium armor and heavy armor.

Benefit: Choose one arcane spellcasting class, such as sorcerer. You can avoid any chance of arcane spell failure for spells gained from this class as long as you restrict yourself to light armor and light shields. This training does not extend to any other form of armor or shields, nor does this ability apply to spells gained from other spellcasting classes.

This benefit applies only to spells of a level equal to or lower than your fighter class level + 1.

Marshal is also in the running.

Paladin is not currently because, while it fits the archetype, it’s too MAD to work in the context of everything else that’s going on.

(Soulborn, OTOH, is Paladin-esque and not so dependent on multiple stats.)

Hexblade is out because it doesn’t fit the theme.

Dragon Shaman and Dragon Adept have mechanics that could work, but the flavor is off...

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Note: just realized that the Multiheaded template dictates the creature be chaotic, so Paladins- standard ones, at least- are out completely.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It sounds like he'll be the one member the Cerberus family never talks about....

Johnathan
That was actually sort of the seed of inspiration- a “Heck Hound” who became bipedal. Originally called “Sir Berus“, the PC changed to a 3-headed Hound Archon, became a hengeyokai, then transformed into an anthropomorphic animal.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Rethinking “Sir Goodboi MacCloud” a little bit...might go for one of the more martial Divine or Psionic classes to reduce complexity. (Not decided, but considering.) While I love playing martial arcanists, doing all the tricks- alternative class features, class variants, Feats, multiclassing, etc.- to make it do what I want in combination with the adjustments for playing a Multiheaded cryo anthro dog (Samoyed) is more than I want to deal with at the moment.

Arms: simple, martial melee, simple ranged.
Armor: Medium & shields (not tower)
Casting stat: Charisma preferred, Intelligence least desired,

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Crap!

Just reread the multiheaded creature template...M sized creatures can only have up to 1 additional head. I was really hoping to make this guy 3 headed. I can get the total heads up to 3 if and only if he’s size L or larger.

Is there a way to increase a creature’s size up 1 step permanently?

Remove ads