• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Breakstone's Clay Thread

Breakstone

First Post
Acquana said:
I've been to your site before, and I love 'em! I just had no idea these were so small! Anything smaller than my fingers is beyond me.

Good work, there. The tiny dragon is adorable.

Heh, thanks. Do you want to know the real reason they're so small?

...it saves me a whole lot of clay! :D

BardStephenFox said:
Wacky little creations! Very nifty.

Hey, maybe you could get a little lighting advice from pogre? He does minis and might have some ideas.

Thanks, Bard! Yup, I was hoping that some photography nut would come into the thread and give me advice.

Hey, will you look at this:

nyrfherdr said:
Those are really cool Breakstone. Very Creative.

On the Photography:
1. Use a neutral background. Gray works the best.
2. Use 2 light sources so that you reduce shadows and even the glare.
3. Don't use the flash on the camera.
4. Many digital cameras have a setting for very close up pictures. If yours does, it really helps.
5. Put something next to your creations for reference. (A ruler, a quarter, something like that.) It will help everyone get an understanding of the scale and how much extra effort goes into such a small creation.

Keep up the great work and keep sharing. Good stuff.

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

Great advice, Nyrfherdr! I've been using 3, 4, and 5 (some of the time), but 1 and 2 are things I just plum didn't think about. Two lighting sources should really help in my photography.

Greylock said:
Ditto! Finally surfed your website, and saw how some of these scale out. Now I'm doubly impressed. You have some real talent, and an eye for shape and color. Keep 'em coming :D .

Thanks, Grelock! That's a real nice compliment, and I'll be sure to update the thread with future clay figures.

pogre said:
I'll echo others here and say it again:

These are great!

Thanks, Pogre! That means a lot, coming from the master of sculpting miniatures himself!

Breakstone

First Post
alsih2o said:
Yep, all except the vegetation. :)

Really? Hey, that's great news!

You should be able to pluck twig off a tree and glue it on to replace the vegetation.

By the way, for those not "In the know," I made and sent this dude to Alsi:

rock.jpg

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
You should post pictures of the ones you made for some members at another board. Some of them are being used for avatars, and they're way cool! There's a little goblin queen, and a coffee mug with eyes, for instance.

Breakstone

First Post
Buttercup said:
You should post pictures of the ones you made for some members at another board. Some of them are being used for avatars, and they're way cool! There's a little goblin queen, and a coffee mug with eyes, for instance.

Alright. I made three avatars on this "other board" (wink, wink) for folks:

elidia2.jpg
for Elidia. I had to figure out all by myself how to make clay flowers for this one, and I think they came out pretty successfully.

goblinqueen2.jpg
for the illustrious Goblin Queen.

And this Blinking Mug:
mug.gif
, which Chronosome made out of the two pictures I took of the clay mug itself.

Remove ads