Breakstone's Clay Thread

Breakstone

First Post
Hello folks!

I figured it'd be fun to start a thread for all my new clay endeavors. You can see some of my other clay in my web site (there's a link in my signature, as well). I'm no professional (heck, I barely qualify as a college student!), but I just plum enjoy making these figures.

My latest creations are these four little monsters. Forgive me for the low-quality pictures... I've got to figure out a way to get good close-up shots with my digital camera. I find the biggest challenge is lighting. Too much and the figure gets lost in the shine. Too little and the colors get too dark and muted. Anyways, onto the figures. Each of these are a little taller than an inch, the tallest being 1 and 2/3rds of an inch tall.

Here's the first, Hagog. I still need to get a good picture of his face, but I rather like his stubby little form:

Attachments

• Hagog1.jpg
    Hagog1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 84

Breakstone

First Post
Next is Pugsley, the Hypocondriac Bat-Dragon. Remember, this guy's barely taller than an inch.

Attachments

• pugsly1.jpg
    pugsly1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 68
  • pugsly2.jpg
    pugsly2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 50
  • pugsly3.jpg
    pugsly3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 53
  • pugsly4.jpg
    pugsly4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 68

Breakstone

First Post
Next is Rhinopod. Maybe I could make a game based around these guys, where they evolve into other monsters, and you have to capture them in some sort of card/ball/digital game. :p

Attachments

• rhinopod1.jpg
    rhinopod1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 61
  • rhinopod2.jpg
    rhinopod2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 57

Breakstone

First Post
And lastly we have Humphrey, the dinosaur who works too much to go extinct. He's about 1 2/3" tall.

Attachments

• humphrey1.jpg
    humphrey1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 66
  • humphrey2.jpg
    humphrey2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 64

Breakstone

First Post
Greylock said:
Fun stuff. I like them.

Thanks Greylock! That's what I'm going for- just fun stuff. Although now that I've got a D&D campaign going, I'm planning on attempting to make the characters out of clay... miniature sized! That's going to be quite the challenge.

Acquana

First Post
Hey!

You've dropped in mine, so I'm here in yours. ^_~

I've been to your site before, and I love 'em! I just had no idea these were so small! Anything smaller than my fingers is beyond me.

Good work, there. The tiny dragon is adorable.

BSF

Explorer
Wacky little creations! Very nifty.

Hey, maybe you could get a little lighting advice from pogre? He does minis and might have some ideas.

nyrfherdr

First Post
Those are really cool Breakstone. Very Creative.

On the Photography:
1. Use a neutral background. Gray works the best.
2. Use 2 light sources so that you reduce shadows and even the glare.
3. Don't use the flash on the camera.
4. Many digital cameras have a setting for very close up pictures. If yours does, it really helps.
5. Put something next to your creations for reference. (A ruler, a quarter, something like that.) It will help everyone get an understanding of the scale and how much extra effort goes into such a small creation.

Keep up the great work and keep sharing. Good stuff.

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

Greylock

First Post
Acquana said:
I just had no idea these were so small! Anything smaller than my fingers is beyond me.

Ditto! Finally surfed your website, and saw how some of these scale out. Now I'm doubly impressed. You have some real talent, and an eye for shape and color. Keep 'em coming :D .

Remove ads