Bree Yark!

Olgar Shiverstone said:
And the nobles wonder why we adventurers always kill & loot the villagers in small peaceful villages -- it's 'cause they are all (1) secretly worshipping an evil shrine
Oh, you said it, brother. Did I ever tell you about that time we went to Orlane? Wretched place. Near a swamp. Who the hell builds a town near a swamp? That should've been our first clue that something was Not Right (tm) about that town....

And don't get me started on Bellhold!

CrusaderX

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Morgan Ironwolf = the best.

QFT

morgan-ironwolf.jpg

Warren Okuma

First Post
According to the Encyclopedia Galactica, the repository of all knowledge: Bree Yark is Altarian for "There's a squid on my face." Which is almost universally considered odd since there are no squids on Altair, nor do Altarians have faces, yet it is in wide use on Altair.

Ulrick

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Oh, you said it, brother. Did I ever tell you about that time we went to Orlane? Wretched place. Near a swamp. Who the hell builds a town near a swamp? That should've been our first clue that something was Not Right (tm) about that town....

And don't get me started on Bellhold!

How about Saltmarsh? It lwas like it was being made up as you went along! And there's that stupid poacher that kept scaring everybody with tails of vampires in the basement of the Haunted House to get you to by him a few beers. And of course, then nobody wanted to go there because we're all only 1-3 levels. And the Sinister Secret sure as hell wasn't all that sinister!

T. Foster said:
I didn't realize this as a kid (or even as an adult, until quite recently) because while this phrase and its meaning were apparently at least somewhat common knowledge in the 50s-60s, it had fallen completely out of use by the 80s, when I encountered it in this module.

I first ran into "Hey, Rube" when reading the family d'Alembert series by Stephen Goldin (based on a Doc Smith story) in the late 70s. I've encountered it pretty often since then, but I go through old books a lot too. It is one of those things you seem to run into more often once you know what it means.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I just realized this thread never reached its promised 8 pages. It's sort of like suddenly remembering you left the oven on.

Bree-yark!
This thread is destined to become at least 8 pages long.
Olgar, after seeing your post, I thought "Who promised that? That's a weird thing to do in a thread."
I was completely surprised. 😮

Remove ads