D&D (2024) bring back the pig faced orcs for 6th edition, change up hobgoblins & is there a history of the design change

Status
Not open for further replies.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hobgoblins in my current setting have an empire across the sea, and the PCs (among others) are just having first contact with them in the form of foreign mercenaries hired by their opponents. They like to use electrum pieces (foreign money!) and have a very gender segregated militant society that is mostly matriarchal.

jgsugden

Legend
It depends upon the 'origin' you're referencing. Tolkien is a foundational influence in D&D, and Tolkien's use of goblin and orc does not derive directly from folklore descriptions.

The physical appearance of a humanoid type in D&D really doesn't matter. My world is huge, so I have creatures that use the orc stats that come from very different locations, and are described very differently.

In 6E, when that comes way down the line, I would expect:

• Humanoids will be used as antagonists less often. When they are antagonists, there will be a mix of humanoids, rather than a single 'tribe' encountered.
  • We'll see a few creatures moved further away from being a humanoid type. Gnolls will be demons. Orcs, elves and goblinoids may become fey creatures. Aasimar will be celestials.
  • There will be a clear line that humanoids have more free will than other creature types, while non-humanoids will be bound by inherent controls - although there will be a mechanic for PCs of these types to break free from those controls. An example is the Goblinoid Curse in Matt Mercer's Tal'dorei campaign setting that are generally bound by the Curse of Strife. Note that I do not think this is necessarily a good idea - just that I think it will happen.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
1. On Orcs- oh no. That's a thread closer.

2. On Hobgoblins- I think the idea of being organized, fearsome martial warriors - similar to Roman Legions - has become much more prevalent, and is a great hook for them.
On 1 - thankfully maybe not this time? :)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Real orcs:

thrall.jpg

Sacrosanct

Legend
Not sure exactly sure when orcs were changed but I argue they should be changed back
Not gonna argue the accuracy of your claims, but there are plenty of illustrations of orcs in 1e where they are not pig faced. So it's been a while. Even if I personally prefer the pig faced ones (as mentioned upthread, because I always thought of the Star Wars Gamorreans as orcs). It's not a recent change.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Fizbang the Munificent Mage: So, uh, I traveled back in time.

Gork the Orc: Cool, man.

Fizbang: Yeah, I uh, was wandering around this keep, and got caught up in an adventure ....

Gork: Great!

Fizbang: And I ran into some of your, um, compatriots from back then ....

B2_Cover.png

Gork: ................

Fizbang: They looked a little ... you know ... strange ....

Gork: .................

Fizbang: Anything you wanna tell me, Gork?

Gork: WE DON'T SPEAK ABOUT IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads