D&D General Bringing the succubus back to town

aco175

Legend
I'm not familiar with the adventure. Why was the succubus there in the first place? What were her intentions?
The Forge of Fury's set up is that a dwarf hold was under attack by orcs tunneling into their hold. Their dwarf mage tried to animate some of the armor and furnishing to fight the orcs and then summoned the succubus to help fight the orcs. The dwarfs ended up loosing to the orcs and the dwarf was slain making him a ghost. Somehow the succubus is still there held by some power of the ghost for the last couple hundred years.

I kind of ruled that since the PCs killed the ghost, she was free to leave the hold. Maybe she would like to take over the town and cause trouble. Maybe I'll save her trouble for the next campaign depending on how the players act. She should link up with the local dragon cultists I have around and tell them about the black dragon in the Forge basements.

Reynard

Legend
The Forge of Fury's set up is that a dwarf hold was under attack by orcs tunneling into their hold. Their dwarf mage tried to animate some of the armor and furnishing to fight the orcs and then summoned the succubus to help fight the orcs. The dwarfs ended up loosing to the orcs and the dwarf was slain making him a ghost. Somehow the succubus is still there held by some power of the ghost for the last couple hundred years.

I kind of ruled that since the PCs killed the ghost, she was free to leave the hold. Maybe she would like to take over the town and cause trouble. Maybe I'll save her trouble for the next campaign depending on how the players act. She should link up with the local dragon cultists I have around and tell them about the black dragon in the Forge basements.
One of my favorite things about D&D adventures is that the stuff that happens in the dungeons before the PCs get there is completely unhinged from the rules as presented. That's the way it should be. It's magic, man.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Also, doesn't Charm now automatically tattle on you once the target saves or it ends? How does the fighter not know she tried to mind whammy him?
Not in 5e at least.
5e PHB p.204 said:
Unless a spell has a perceptible effect, a creature might not know it was targeted by a spell at all. An effect like crackling lightning is obvious, but a more subtle effect, such as an attempt to read a creature's thoughts, typically goes unnoticed, unless a spell says otherwise.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Devils live a long time (forever maybe) and so they can make plans. She can be as "good" as she needs to be for as long as she needs to be so long as it serves evil in the end. She can be the perfect demure lady and marry the head of the town council and give birth to combion offspring and take over 30 years from now.

Or start a social media company…

…on blockchain.

My home group is running through Forge of Fury and met with the succubus. They all think that it's a trap and she is a devil or vampire or something since she was all by herself with a ghost and has no food with her. They went down a level and encountered a dragon and not the mage like her story said which she played off as maybe another level or he is a shapechanger. The duergar they talked with were all, "Who the heck is that." Still nothing solid to make them just murder-hobo her though. The group ended up resting in one area while with her and the fighter made his Wisdom check against charm. Everything seems to be going with the PCs, so now they are 'rescuing' her and bringing her back to Phandalin and to get more XP to try and go back to kill the dragon again.

I'm thinking that she would rather go to town than to try and deal with an adventuring party. She did some things to the PCs and they seem to be suspicious so why wouldn't she just go to town and wreak havoc there. It also sets up another adventure for when they come back from the Forge a second time and everyone in town is blaming them for the demon and now they have to deal with her again.

Thoughts? Cool ideas? Thanks
She definitely tries to ditch the suspicious party. I say head to town!.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases