Bucket o' puppies n' Cleave?

Goblyn

Explorer
I've heard references about fighters with Great Cleave and multiple small animals in a bag(or bucket, or whatever) using the animals to gain mulitple attacks upon a BBEG, but I've thought about the feats, and a can't figure out how this is supposed to work.

Can anyone explain this to me? Curiosity is killing this cat.

FireLance

Legend
This was possible in 3.0e because the Whirlwind Attack feat didn't specifically state that you forfeit other bonus or extra attacks when you use it. It was thus arguably possible to use Whirlwind Attack to target each small animal with an attack, kill it, and use the extra attacks granted by Great Cleave to attack the BBEG.

Old Gumphrey

First Post
Apparently all the puppies start running away from you as soon as you open the bag, and they then provoke AO from you, allowing you to cleave as many times as you have puppies.

elbandit

First Post
Running Puppies

Old Gumphrey said:
Apparently all the puppies start running away from you as soon as you open the bag, and they then provoke AO from you, allowing you to cleave as many times as you have puppies.

Wouldn't puppies have to have thier own initiative score to run away? What if they decided to play with the guy who released them, would that provoke an AoO?

Goblyn

Explorer
FireLance said:
This was possible in 3.0e because the Whirlwind Attack feat didn't specifically state that you forfeit other bonus or extra attacks when you use it. It was thus arguably possible to use Whirlwind Attack to target each small animal with an attack, kill it, and use the extra attacks granted by Great Cleave to attack the BBEG.

Ah. Thank you. Now I understand.

The cat lives on.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
elbandit said:
Wouldn't puppies have to have thier own initiative score to run away?

Yes.

What if they decided to play with the guy who released them, would that provoke an AoO?

Yes :) Because they're Tiny creatures, they need to enter your square to play with you... and that provokes an AoO.

(Naturally you dump them in the square one behind you.)

-Hyp.

the Jester

Legend
Didn't I just...?

*looks at other thread*

*looks at this thread*

Ahhh, this one is puppies, that one is snails. But only in the title. :) :p

Well, your question has already been answered- so I guess there's not much point in my reiterating. But check out the bucket of snails thread while you're in the neighborhood (if you haven't already). (Heck, maybe that provoked your question...?)

Anyhoo, I would never try this in a real game. And if a player tried it in my game, they'd... well... something bad, anyway.

Zimri

First Post
I thought the feats being "broken" were combat reflexes (not whirlwind kick) and cleave/great cleave ?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Zimri said:
I thought the feats being "broken" were combat reflexes (not whirlwind kick) and cleave/great cleave ?

Right - that's the 3.5 Puppy version.

Whirlwind Attack and Great Cleave was the 3E version (with the Bucket o' Snails), but it's been nixed in 3.5 now that extra attacks cannot be used with a Whirlwind.

-Hyp.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases