D&D 5E Buffing monks: with simple changes.

The monk needs short rests. The problem usually is that long rests are too easy to do.
You could just make ki points long rest abilities and give them an ability that they can use 2 prof modifier per day that takes 1 minute (refocus) that replenishes al ki points.

Also just give them every tasha optional ability.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
However, I don't see what this does for the monk at 11th level, which is when they actually start having serious problems mechanically.

That's a really good observation.

How about: at 11th level flurry of blows no longer costs Ki?

That would increase damage output, but would still consume a bonus action, making it mutually exclusive with some other choices. And it would conserve a lot of Ki.

Horwath

Legend
That's a really good observation.

How about: at 11th level flurry of blows no longer costs Ki?

That would increase damage output, but would still consume a bonus action, making it mutually exclusive with some other choices. And it would conserve a lot of Ki.
I would rather then have 3 attacks as flurry of blows.

If there is as increase in martial die size, as suggested then for 1 ki, that is 2 extra attacks for 1d10 damage.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I would rather then have 3 attacks as flurry of blows.

If there is as increase in martial die size, as suggested then for 1 ki, that is 2 extra attacks for 1d10 damage.

That's one of the things I did in my overhaul. I added +1 attack to the martial arts bonus action, then made Flurry of Blows three attacks, and tied it to the level 10 Purity of Body feature. (along with some upgrades to the other ki abilities)

Then at level 15 with timeless body I gave them a third attack as their action. So, a full flurry from a monk at level 15 ends up being six attacks at 1d8+mod for 1 ki. Which is a lot, but I think is just about balanced among the other changes I've made.

lingual

Adventurer
Would another extra attack at level 11 be too much?

Maybe some options like using Wisdom for Athletics and Acrobatics checks and Attacks could reduce MAD a bit. Make Dex a secondary stat.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
1 and 3, by themselves, would be a big boost.
4 and 5,in my book, are too much and would be too attractive for a dip.

If you implement 2, then boost daggers to d6 as well.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Granting the higher HD is no problem. It's only an extra 2 HP at 1st level and 1 additional HP each level thereafter (assuming you don't roll for it). Considering you can spend a feat to take Tough and get even more HP than that... giving Monks a small HP boost does not unbalancing anything.

Raising the Martial arts die could be fine-- most Monks use a higher-damage weapon and then the MA die for the off-hand (and flurry) so I've never seen the d4 be an issue personally, but for you it could be different. Personally, I just reduce my duration of Short Rests from 1 Hour to 10 Minutes, and that bumps Monks (and Fighters and Warlocks) up all I need. While the group pauses so that the Wizard could prep a Ritual, the other three are using those 10 minutes to take a Short Rest and get back their class features. That solved my problems easily.

Changing the AC generation? I personally wouldn't do what you proposed. Adding to the Ki pool? The 10 Minute Short Rest solved that issue for me. The extra Skill proficiency? Sure, if it seemed like the Monk character was missing something. A whole heap of subclasses give out bonus weapon, armor, tool, and/or skill proficiencies all over the place... so giving the Monk another one won't be an issue either in my opinion.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Granting the higher HD is no problem. It's only an extra 2 HP at 1st level and 1 additional HP each level thereafter (assuming you don't roll for it). Considering you can spend a feat to take Tough and get even more HP than that... giving Monks a small HP boost does not unbalancing anything.

Raising the Martial arts die could be fine-- most Monks use a higher-damage weapon and then the MA die for the off-hand (and flurry) so I've never seen the d4 be an issue personally, but for you it could be different. Personally, I just reduce my duration of Short Rests from 1 Hour to 10 Minutes, and that bumps Monks (and Fighters and Warlocks) up all I need. While the group pauses so that the Wizard could prep a Ritual, the other three are using those 10 minutes to take a Short Rest and get back their class features. That solved my problems easily.

Changing the AC generation? I personally wouldn't do what you proposed. Adding to the Ki pool? The 10 Minute Short Rest solved that issue for me. The extra Skill proficiency? Sure, if it seemed like the Monk character was missing something. A whole heap of subclasses give out bonus weapon, armor, tool, and/or skill proficiencies all over the place... so giving the Monk another one won't be an issue either in my opinion.

I did 30 minute short rests. Still a lot shorter than an hour, but still a bit more than the 10 minutes you've proposed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases