D&D 5E Buffing monks: with simple changes.

ECMO3

Hero
I am thinking about buffing monks for next campaign:

But I want to keep it simple and not trying to introduce any new mechanics/abilities for the class.

Just working with adding little for current abilities/features:

1. increase hit die to d10. d8 feels a little low for melee class with low armor.

2. martial arts damage die increase from 1d4->1d10 to 1d6->1d12.

3. wis mod(if positive) to ki pool.

4. extra skill proficiency at 1st level.

5. AC calculation. AC is calculated as 10 + two modifiers from STR, DEX, CON or WIS.
This would give more room for diverse types of monks and still keep their starting AC at 15/16.

Would all 5 changes be too much or monk is so bad that it might need more than these 5 simple fixes?
I think that is too much. I like #4 and most of #5. I would eliminate constitution from the AC calculation in #5. Otherwise I think this is good.

Another option is to make them a 1/3 caster like an AT or EK. That would be a significant boost to power.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am thinking about buffing monks for next campaign:

But I want to keep it simple and not trying to introduce any new mechanics/abilities for the class.

Just working with adding little for current abilities/features:

1. increase hit die to d10. d8 feels a little low for melee class with low armor.

2. martial arts damage die increase from 1d4->1d10 to 1d6->1d12.

3. wis mod(if positive) to ki pool.

4. extra skill proficiency at 1st level.

5. AC calculation. AC is calculated as 10 + two modifiers from STR, DEX, CON or WIS.
This would give more room for diverse types of monks and still keep their starting AC at 15/16.

Would all 5 changes be too much or monk is so bad that it might need more than these 5 simple fixes?
Honestly it's the ki pool that powers so many elements of this class that simply buffing that is all you really need. I'd give it level+dex bonus or wis bonus+prof bonus times between short rests.

Trentmonk has a good thoughtful variant here.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I don’t love increasing Hit Die. Even though HP Aren’t Meat (tm) it still feels like damage absorption not avoidance, which isn’t the flavor I prefer.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Honestly it's the ki pool that powers so many elements of this class that simply buffing that is all you really need. I'd give it level+dex bonus or wis bonus+prof bonus times between short rests.

Trentmonk has a good thoughtful variant here.
I think that might be the version he mentioned being not enough changes especially after level 9 or 10 in his first rant... after play testing it I think the two videos with much higher martial arts die in the higher tier and other adjustments.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
Patient Defense a Reaction instead of Bonus, More Ki points based by Wisdom Modifier(I don't think an extra 5 would break the game), give it the UA Ascendant Dragon Monk's PB/Ki usage deal that was viewed favorably by most players to the rest of it's subclasses built in and/or apply to Stunning Strike, a skill thing similar to the extra skills option that Tasha gave Barbarians, bumping up the HD to a D10 (Pathfinder 1E was okay with it and it didn't break anything.)

Can't really think of anymore off the top of my head.

jgsugden

Legend
I've previously said I don't think the monk needs any fixes. However, I'll update that and say they should get one more ASI at level 6. That is it.

I am playing a human variant monk. We rolled stats and mine were only slightly better than point buy would allow - and I feel like the character I've played has been fun and effective. The DM called it overpowered, at times, even, although I think that was a bit overstated.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Fizban's has an item (a belt infused with the strength of dragon) that increase a monk's save DC (stunning strikes and other effects) AND allows you to regain 1 martial dice roll's worth of Ki, once a day.

That would help

Stalker0

Legend
I don't think Monks need to do more damage at the lowest levels, there damage is already pretty good if you assume the use of a quarterstaff.

What I did was say a monk's unarmed strike does 1d8 damage, but uses the martial arts die on the bonus action extra attacks. That way monks aren't reliant on a quarterstaff for damage.

You can add some more damage in later if you want, but levels 1-4 their damage is fine.

I also am a big proponent of the "patient defense as a reaction". It removes some competition for the bonus action, and it ensures you are only using the ability when you actually need it.

That and a bit more Ki and honestly your pretty solid.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Patient Defense a Reaction instead of Bonus, More Ki points based by Wisdom Modifier(I don't think an extra 5 would break the game), give it the UA Ascendant Dragon Monk's PB/Ki usage deal that was viewed favorably by most players to the rest of it's subclasses built in and/or apply to Stunning Strike,
Ascendant Dragon Monk's? I missed that one... cool name.
a skill thing similar to the extra skills option that Tasha gave Barbarians, bumping up the HD to a D10 (Pathfinder 1E was okay with it and it didn't break anything.)

Can't really think of anymore off the top of my head.
some of that sounds similar to the Treant Monks video presented ideas (he did the lifting on the math to back his ideas)

Remove ads