D&D 5E Buffing monks: with simple changes.

aco175

Legend
I would look to make the 3rd level paths better unless you are looking to have PCs just take 1 level dips to monk. If so, do not worry about higher level powers. I think a lot can be done for flavor and individual monks if each path gave out some of this. A tiger monk deals extra damage, a Crane monk can add Dex and Con to AC and cast shield 1/rest. Make each cooler.

Rockyroad

Explorer
Two problems I see with the base monk class is too much competition for your bonus action and not enough ki to power your abilities. To that end I would make 2 simple changes:

1. Make Step of the Wind cost 0 ki.

2. Make Patient Defense cost 0 ki and change it to a reaction instead of bonus action to impose disadvantage on a single attack. Must be declared before the attack roll is made.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
- I personnaly give them 1d12 HD myself. Fits more with the idea of peak physical mastery.

- I would not give them more ki point, but instead give them the feature that grant ki points when you roll initiative and have none remaining way sooner (say level 10ish), give them a real capstone instead.

- I give them 1d6 fist at 1st level, with a bump to 1d8 and 1d10 later (fighter's now have a figthing style that does that)

- I give them light/medium/shield proficiency, like the barb to avoid pigeonholing them into one style only.

- Extra skills is always welcome, since both Athletic and Accrobatic are nearly must haves.
I like some of this a fair bit, but a few comments:

Re armor, I don't like the aesthetics - so more of a stylistic objection than mechanistic.

Re free ki when none left, even at level 10 is too late. The more ki you have, the less useful this ability is.

clearstream

(He, Him)
1. increase hit die to d10. d8 feels a little low for melee class with low armor.
I think we want the monk to be clearly differentiated from barbarian and fighter. Barbarian is intended to be hit (lots of HP, damage resistance). Fighter I will look at below under AC. I think monk is a light striker, so the d8 is right. I agree with you that monks are problematic, but would suggest that the problem lies elsewhere.

2. martial arts damage die increase from 1d4->1d10 to 1d6->1d12.
One way or another, they need to deal more damage. TCoE offers them a wider range of weapons, a bonus attack triggered by spending ki on anything, and a minor form of precision. For me the martial arts die increase is justified.

Other approaches I've thought of are - a 'Refocus' feature, that works like fighter action surge but gives monks a bonus action, and changing the tavern brawler and dual wielder feats to work for monks. The former by switching from granting a d4 to giving a +1 bonus to unarmed damage. The latter by adding that it obviates the use of a bonus action for the off-hand attack (might be too strong!)

3. wis mod(if positive) to ki pool.
I tried this and disliked that it kind of forced monks to prioritise wisdom. Where I landed was just - give them 2 or 3 more ki at 2nd level! Our shadow monk was fine for ki in the second half of tier 2. The painful part is being ki-starved in tier 1 and a good part of tier 2. I like other suggestions, especially the one free use approach to ki features. Monk and sorcerer have the same problem - both should probably start with more points and then scale more slowly.

4. extra skill proficiency at 1st level.
I think you make a good point here! A monk should have more skills. It feels highly appropriate, and they can make good use of them.

5. AC calculation. AC is calculated as 10 + two modifiers from STR, DEX, CON or WIS.
This would give more room for diverse types of monks and still keep their starting AC at 15/16.
Where barbarians take a punch, fighters deflect them with high AC. Meaning I think monk shouldn't have better AC than they do now. They have the tools to play as a kiting class - movement, bonus action dodge or disengage - they just need the ki to do so.

Would all 5 changes be too much or monk is so bad that it might need more than these 5 simple fixes?
Were I picking from your suggestions (and tweaking) it would be - increase martial arts die, give monks a flat 2 extra ki at level 2, extra skill proficiency. Those three changes would all feel meaningful and make them more fun to play.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Re armor, I don't like the aesthetics - so more of a stylistic objection than mechanistic.
Well, its more to allow the idea of warrior-monks like the Sohei, or from fiction like Diablo 3, Stronghold 2 or For Honor.

I agree that most of my players tend to favor the unarmored option, but I've seen some cool spear & shield unarmored monks for a spartan-vibe.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
how about these (*based on treant monk's videos)

Hit die d10
Martial arts allows light or medium armor (enables samurai style characters as monks)
Martial arts die(dice): d6, d8, 2d6, 3d6 (+1 damage for versatile)
Ki DC is based on dexterity (allows more focus on Dex so more flexible builds)
Step of the Wind doesn’t have a resource cost
Quickened healing costs 1 ki point
Stunning Strike has a limited resource pool (once per proficiency per long rest), then costs ki
Stillness of Mind now works as it should (The intent here is your bonus action is still available)
Timeless body also recovers a level of exhaustion on a short rest
Empty Body is a bonus action
Perfect self now adds +4 to Dexterity and Wisdom maxes (like Barbarian stats)

Way of Mercy: No changes.

Way of Shadow: can cast their shadow arts spells once per long rest each, and at level 6 the darkvision spell allows seeing through the darkness spell cast with shadow arts.

Way of the Astral Self: Arms of the Astral Self allow 2 bonus action attacks when you use martial arts, Visage now provides advantage to Wisdom and Charisma checks and saves and doesn’t cost extra ki.

Way of the Drunken Master: Drunken Technique now provides advantage on the first attack with flurry of blows. Tipsy Sway and Drunkard’s Luck no longer cost ki.

Way of the 4 elements: We get Chi points, which equal our Ki points, and fuels our 4 elements features instead of ki.

Way of the Kensei: Kensei’s shot now gives a bonus action ranged attack instead of the d4. Sharpen the Blade now allows combining with magical weapons, to a maximum of +3.

Long Death: Hour of Reaping now allows the Monk to choose the radius of the effect up to 30 feet.

Open Hand: Wholeness of body now restores full hit points and Tranquility now recovers every short or long rest.

Sun Soul: Now Radiant sun bolt works like a 30 foot range for unarmed combat, except radiant damage. Searing Arc Strike is free unless you upcast it, and Searing Sunburst now allows you to cast Fireball with Radiant damage, proficiency bonus times per long rest.

Remove ads