• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Building a better Druid

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
For Land Druids, don't hook them to one type of land, instead, they connect to the land in general. In game terms, the land druid adds a land category spells to his prepared list while he is in the corresponding land type.

Flexibility depending on locale without being overpowering.
If a campaign involves a lot of travel between climate zones, I can see that being confusing or overwhelming for the player.

Although it might be fun once in a while to do this:
PC (caller): We leave the forest behind and are travelling along the seashore, heading towards the fishing village.
DM: You see a hungry-looking animal - something cat-like, maybe a panther- stalking you from the land side.
PC (druid): I wildshape ...
DM -interrupting- : ... into a walrus.
PC (druid): :confused: :-S

Xeviat

Hero
For Land Druids, don't hook them to one type of land, instead, they connect to the land in general. In game terms, the land druid adds a land category spells to his prepared list while he is in the corresponding land type.

Since it's just a few bonus spells, and no other abilities, I like this idea. It makes it feel more unique from the cleric domains. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer

So...inconsistent class abilities based on randomly appearing campaign events? Needing to alter spell lists based circumstances that can fluctuate rapidly? Yeah...no. No thanks. Options are always nice but I personally can't stand this idea from game play, class design, or character-building perspectives.

Druid: "I cast lightning bolt at the harpies!"
DM: "Sorry, this is more of a coastal area. You no longer have access to lightning bolt."

The Berserkr is really a kind of "shamanic warrior" anyway, known for animal shapechange.

The shaman (D&D Druid?) as a Berserkr actually makes more sense than a barbarian Berserkr.
Böðvar Bjarki is known for changing into a bear.

Böðvar Bjarki is never referred to as a "berserker".

I bet you you'll find the same is true of any other shapechanger in the primary sources you care to name.

The guys who are referred to as "berserkers" are described in Ynglinga saga quite vividly: "...[Odin's] men advanced armorless and were mad as dogs or wolves, bit into their shields, were strong as bears or bulls. They struck down men but neither fire nor iron told upon them. That was called berserkergang."

Sounds kind of like the barbarian to me.

Shapechanging has always been a D&D Druid thing, and starting it very early was introduced in the 2e 'Complete' book. It's a D&D thing WoW copied. WoW is just orders of magnitude bigger than D&D, so some folks coming from it to D&D might not realize how derivative the MMO that hooked them is of the TTRPG they're trying.
Shapechanging may have been a druid thing, but WoW turned it into the druid thing. Of all the D&D druids, only the 4E version was actually defined by wild shape. And even that oft-compared-to-WoW edition eventually printed the Essentials druid which didn't even have the ability (but still got Thousand Faces, weirdly). So if I see a game where the "druid" is first and foremost the guy who can turn into a bear, I'm going to call it derivative of WoW before I call it derivative of D&D.

Teemu

Hero
Shapechanging may have been a druid thing, but WoW turned it into the druid thing. Of all the D&D druids, only the 4E version was actually defined by wild shape. And even that oft-compared-to-WoW edition eventually printed the Essentials druid which didn't even have the ability (but still got Thousand Faces, weirdly). So if I see a game where the "druid" is first and foremost the guy who can turn into a bear, I'm going to call it derivative of WoW before I call it derivative of D&D.

Eh, the 3rd edition's druid's wildshape is a well-detailed, well-expanded class ability that received support in terms of feats and magic items all through the edition. There are alternative class features that modify it, and one of them from Player's Handbook II even turns it into an ability you gain at level 1. The Natural Spell feat became core in 3.5, which made wildshape a core pillar in the druid's arsenal. The WoW druid, especially its early iterations, was clearly drawing heavily from the D&D druid.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
In the Norse worldview, the phenomenon of shapechange encompasses various aspects.

The Norse word Ham·r means ‘skin’ (including a pelt, hide, leather or fur), and by extension means the ‘shape’ of a creature that is in this skin.

In the context of Norse animism, this ‘shape’ is a technical term for the shape of a ‘mind’ (hugr), the mental experience of a form, an ‘identity’.

The person that is ‘shape powerful’ (Ham·rammr) has a strong mind that is able to achieve the following feats (in increasing order of difficulty).
• ‘Going of a Berserkr’ (Berserks·gangr), trancing into the mental identity of an animal, to exhibit savagery and strength.
• ‘Shape traveling’ (Ham·farir), sending ones mind out-of-body to manifest elsewhere in such a savage animal form.
• The mind is so strong the projected mental shape actually transmogrifies the physical body into the animal form.

Bodily shapechange is rare, and usually associates with nonhuman Jotnar/Troll, or so on, but certain humans did it or even did it to other humans against their will. Typically, references to ‘troll cattle’, ‘troll cats’, ‘dragons’, and so on, are various Jotnar taking animal ‘shape’, sometimes monstrously.

D&D 3e can equate the method of this ‘shape power’ with psionic psychometabolism. However, this savagery spooked the Norse. Almost all the ones who do it are monstrous, whether human antagonists or nonhuman monsters. Altho it is the persons own mind doing it, the shape travelers often lost their humanity during it. The Norse responded to the concept of shapeshifting perhaps similarly to way some Europeans might respond to the concept of demon possession.

Whether Norse, Aborigine, Amerindian, or so on, reallife prehistoric animism is roughly equivalent to D&D psionics. It is the power of the ‘mind’ (Hugr). All features of reality are interactive mental presences. If you can visualize it is a real experience to some degree. In Old Norse, the term for ‘mindforce’ in the sense of the power of ones mind to influence external reality, is literally called ‘minds’ (Hugar), as an irregular plural, conveying the sense of ones mind being everywhere to where ones thoughts can travel.

Altho Norse animism is decisively ‘psychic’ in nature, it often self-identifies with the wild features of their dangerous environment. It could be, the D&D ‘primal’ magic is explicitly the psionic capacities of nature itself.

Shamans (as a term for various cultures) are psychics. But they especially attune with mental presences of natural features. Humanity is one cosmic feature among many. Among the Norse, the only formal institution of a shaman is female, the Volva. Informally some men also demonstrate these psychic abilities. But farther north, among the Finnar (equivalent to the Sami today) the shamans tend to be male.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads