• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Businesses saying keep the rowdy children at home.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Old One said:
But I also happen to think that much of the "don't injure their fragile self-esteem" psycho-babble approach to education, sports and child-rearing today is crap. I think it turns out a bunch of self-indulgent, self-absorbed, panty-waste prima-donnas that have absolutely no coping skills for failure and adversity when they reach adulthood.

Quoted for truth.

Harmon

First Post
Elf Witch said:
When you see a screaming whiny child running around at 10:00PM its not that the kid is behaving badly it is that the dumb parents have no business having a child up that late.

Little off subject, but....

Last weekend Coyote6 brought over the family dog (Snowy) because there was no one home to let him out.

He was great, looked about, minded his manors, spent a lot of time at Coyote6's side, made his rounds to get petting from everyone, whimpered a bit when he needed to and did not bother my two kids (umm, you might call them cats).

About ten pm more so he started getting fussy, and it was because he had not slept all day.

I just found the tail to be to parallel not to mention. :)

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
When I was 10, I pocketed a candy bar at the store.

Unfortunately for me, it wasn't store security that caught me at my first, and ONLY attempt at theft.

My Father caught me.

I swept the parking lot of that store, with a push broom, on Saturday and Sunday, with My Father watching over me.

And a sign around my neck that said: "I TRIED TO STEAL FROM THIS STORE!"

I have NEVER stolen since. Not even when I found a box with a tear across it that a DVD-RW was in 2 years ago. A $200 piece of hardware I came to the store to buy. When I took it to the counter, the lady behind the counter told me that if I left it with her, I could grab another, and she would ring me through.

I corrected her, then wandered back to buy the same brand and model.

The thought of stealing makes my hands shake just thinking about it.

People say public shame doesn't do anything, but how many of these parents would let thier children run wild if we still had little old ladies who commented on: "In MY day, we'd never..." and other parents who would call the parents of the little cretin to task for it? If there was more shame attatched to adultry for committing it, how many people would do it? If there was more shame for many of the things that are so common, yet completely rude, that take place daily in our society, how many of them would still go on?

It's considered rude or shameful to make a scene for telling that arrogant half-wit in the store who is in the 10 items or less line with a full cart to go somewhere else, it's considered rude to tell a parent: "Control that little animal before I muzzle it" when little Johnny Worthless is standing on top of his chair screaming at the top of his lungs because his fat little butt can't have a third piece of pie. But not rude of Johnny or his worthless mother.

The lack of public shame has led to a lot of this.

From: "It hurts a child's esteem if they are held back a grade because they are too lazy to do thier homework or apply themselves in class." to "It's rude to tell that insensitive jackass not to park in the handicapped space." we're the losers.

The kid can't hold a job and the ones he does hold, he can't do worth a crap because he's too ignorant and lazy. Mr. Arrogance figures he's above the law and cool, so he drives drunk and runs over your kid.

Public shame and personal accountability aren't bad things.

By the way, did anybody see the new episode of Boondocks tonight? They had a short bit at the beginning of the episode about this subject, with a little demon making a mess and screaming at a store, and the mother being helpless to stop him. Grandpa asks her about it, and she says she doesn't know what to do or how to stop him when he's like this, so he offers to help. He pulls off his belt, and the kid gets a look of fear in his eye. He spanks the kid, who stops misbehaving and the customers at the store go from embarrassed/angry at his tirade to smiling that he got disciplined.

I think that's part of the whole problem, parents who are too afraid of traumatizing their children that they never discipline them. They think that if they have to harshly discipline their children when they are very out of line, it's child abuse, or they'll injure their children and be blamed for all their problems one day. In the end, it produces kids who have no concept of limits or boundaries, because they're never told "No".

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I did...and not only was it appropriate for the conversation...it was also funny as hell!

Boondocks is wrong, but in a good way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads