• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Calling all German residents, re: Essen Game Fair

LcKedovan

Explorer
Darkness said:
Hehe. Lots of Germans, all speaking English even though they are amongst themselves in this thread. :)

I love the internet. :cool:

- English-speaking Austrian Darkness

Well, I am Canadian actually ;) And I also know the Maldur will be coming from Amsterdam... STILL... I LOVE THE INTERNET!! (And ENWorld of course)

- German-speaking Canadian LcKedovan ;)

Darklone

I'm there from Thursday the 23th till Sunday the 26th... Though I'll be leaving around lunchtime on Sunday (biking back south).

Someone familiar with the area (been there about 10 years ago last time) propose some meeting point please?

I guess I'll be at the Kenzer & Co booth most of the time (in case there aren't stunning booth babes elsewhere).

Marimmar

First Post
Me and my GF will probably be there on sunday. Saturday is not possible cause of my best friend's wedding. For all who haven't been there before, it's huge and there are usually a few nice booth babes. Maybe someone can take a few pictures for the galleries hereabout?

~Marimmar

Marimmar

First Post
jabberwocky, try this shop http://www.comicshop.de/ it's where I get most of my stuff and usually there are a lot of gamers around so you might find a group there. Since it's in Bonn, you'll have to travel 30-50 min by train. My group is full btw (8 players.)

~Marimmar

LcKedovan

Explorer
Marimmar said:
Me and my GF will probably be there on sunday. Saturday is not possible cause of my best friend's wedding. For all who haven't been there before, it's huge and there are usually a few nice booth babes. Maybe someone can take a few pictures for the galleries hereabout?

~Marimmar

My Digital Camera will be primed. :D

-W.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Anyone know how far it is from Kaiserslautern? Also, how common is english there? I can speak a tiny bit of german but the language barrier is something I haven't had much luck getting past. I wouldn't mind driving (or riding the train) up there. But I think it would put a serious damper on my first con if I had no idea what was being said or what was going on.

Ahrimon

Darklone

You'll find some guys who speak some short and easy English sentences :D

Kaiserslautern is not that far away (from my point of view).

jabberwocky

First Post
I think an ENWorld gathering would be a great idea (not that i'm particularly active on these boards, but I lurk a whole lot - does that count?). And I'm always happy to meet new people.

Ahrimon - According to Die Bahn (www.bahn.de) Essen Hbf is about 3 hrs from Kaiserslautern Hbf by ICE with one transfer. In my experience, most of the people here understand a great deal (practically all) of English, but aren't necessarily as competent at speaking it. Though people also have a tendency to play down their english speaking skills. As an example, 95% of the people I work with can follow and understand a rapid-fire english conversation, but only about 30% of these same people could take part in that conversation (though i suspect that's mostly from shyness). I do work in a scientific field, so that might skew the demographic I come into contact with, I don't know.

The Kardinal - Ich stehe nicht umbidingt auf d20, aber das ist die Spiel das ich am besten kenne. Aber ich lerne auch neue Systeme gern. Ich hab GURPS vorher gelesen aber hatte nie die möglichkeit es auszuprobieren. BESM und Unknown Armies kenn ich uberhaupt nicht. Ich muss auch sagen das meine Deutsch ist nicht die beste - ich kann doch mit anderen unterhalten, aber meine Grammatik und Satzstellung ist oftermals falsch. Leiten kann Ich auch, aber das wird ich mich nur auf Englisch zutrauen - wenn du willst, kann ich dir auch meine email addresse geben. Aber was ist ÖPNV? Das hab ich nie vorher gesehen...

Marimmar - thanks for the link! that should be easy enough to find, and Bonn is easy to get to.

The Cardinal

First Post
@jabberwocky: ÖPNV= Öffentlicher Personennahverkehr (public transport) :D

my email adress is The_Crawling_Chaos@gmx.net, but right now I do not know exactly what will be GMed by whom and for how many players in the foreseeable future (people moving, graduating, getting new jobs, entering university, etc...) - but by the end of October things should have settled down somewhat, so if we'll manage to meet at the Spiel I might have something for you...
(and another d20 GM (even in English) is always welcome around here ;))

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads