D&D 5E [CAMPAIGN] Out of the Abyss [SPOILERS]

Valwyn

Explorer
Thank you so much brother! I saw you had also done Zuggtmoy and Fraz Urb'luu... I assume that's all of them?

Great work by the way... I liked all the material you shared about OotA!

:)

Mark/Valwyn

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Game Restarted

We completed our first session reboot. I've decided to design encounters with a narrative approach that limits resting and applies conditions without saves if it fits the narrative situation I've concocted. I feel 5E does not do a good job of replicating a static living world somewhat based on reality like D&D did in 3E. 5E plays better when driven by a narrative with the DM using the tools to create role-playing situations with mechanical challenges crafted to achieve the the goals of the narrative. This allows you to ensure the players do not control the rest periods and other mechanical aspects of the game in a linear, repetitive fashion like the sun and moon rising. It allows the DM to control the mechanics by creating situations where the narrative drives the rest periods (lulls in combat and action) and player resource decisions forcing the players to make hard choices to achieve narrative goals that lead to advancement of the story and the mechanical aspects of their character.

I re-designed the maze within the labyrinth. Instead of tracking it daily using a finite distance and time, I designed it with a narrative approach that limited long rests and daily encounter rolling. The narrative conception of the maze was as a place of endless, confusing tunnels echoing with screams and imbued with the power of a demon lord that did not want any being within his domain to come fully prepared to battle. They would always be fighting for their life within the maze against other creatures that had become lost within it and his demonic minions. The longer they traversed the maze unsuccessfully, the more fatigued, hungry, and hopeless they would become until they died within it or faced the power that lay at its center. With this concept in mind, I constructed the rules that applied in the maze. I felt this led to a more challenging and interesting situation for the players, one that did not focus on repetitive rolls leading to repetitive encounters. I focused more on the feeling of wandering in a demon lord's maze and the narrative situations they may find within. It seemed to play better for them and myself.

I'll post more information on the encounters and area design soon.

Last edited:

Valwyn

Explorer
I look forward to seeing what you have done since my group is just now leaving Araj to head out to the Wormwrithings and Labyrinth!

Mark/Valwyn

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The Maze

The heroes slogged through the maze on, footsore and weary. Time seemed lost within the maze.

The heroes came upon a angel-blooded human battling five mad giants lost for too long in the maze. They attempted to force the human to lead them out, but he would rather die than be their pet. He stood against them. The drow and their human companion Dar interceded on behalf of the human quickly killing two and sending the other three fleeing unwilling to challenge the drow. They learned the human was part of a party of thirteen warriors dedicated to Helm, Torm, and Tyr sent to defeat the demonic influence below. All but Davashiel including the his brother died in the maze, so Davshiel took up his brother's magic blade and dedicated himself to the completion of the quest. The party was mostly indifferent to this goodly man's commitment save Jharzzle of Eilistrae, who welcomed the man into their fellowship. On they marched through the stone maze.

More time passed, the heroes engaged a pair of mind flayer's riding an enslaved behir. The discourse between drow and mindflayer was cordial, yet unfriendly, like a cold wind. Though both parties agreed to let the other pass, battle was inevitable. The mindflayers launched the expected ambush, the drow with their human companions answered swiftly. One mindflayer and the behir died, the other shifted off the plane to escape no longer wishing to learn the secrets of the new and strange maze.

The heroes pressed on. A few battles with unworthy foes provided a brief respite from the timeless travel, fatigue was the greater enemy. Finally, they came to the end of the maze, yet it was guarded.

Beastly goristro stood as gate guards with their smaller abyssal minotaur brethren. The heroes engaged setting forth wall of force to act as a bulwark against the horde. Unknown to them, Zhaolor the Gate-keeper, a balor of fearsome power bolstered the gate guards of Baphomet. This ancient creature countered the blessings of their gods and cast fire and lightning from within a cloud of darkness. A great battle followed as the heroes sought to slay the demons that kept them from escaping the maze. It was a long fight, but Davashiel felled the darkness on Zhaolor and Jharzzle's bow inflicted greivous wounds as he swore a death oath on Zhaolor. Zhaolor summoned two marilith to cut down Jharzzle and his singing bow and Davashiel and his holy power. They did not disappoint. Their snaky tales trapping the small mortals as their blades made quick work of them. If not for Sassindra, Jharzzle may have died. Davashiel was not so lucky as he was cut down, fell from from air as his dead wings were still, and his neck broke as he hit the stone floor. The pain was enough to drive Zhaolor from the battlefield. He disappeared. After he departed, the rest of the party made short work of the remaining demons. No one escaped unscathed save the dancing Apothicas. Yet the way lay open for them to pass from the maze and continue on their quest.

DM's Note: I did not allow long rests in the maze. Though the giants and mindflayers did not consume many resources, the lack of long rests definitely made the players more cognizant of their resources. They did not nova on every battle as they had been doing. Using the narrative to control long rests was much more successful at preventing novaing than allowing the players to control resting in a linear fashion.

I tried out my new and improved Balor, Marilith, and Goristro. They worked much better than the MM versions. They performed more like their flavor text indicates they should. The goristro was a warbeast that took immense damage and hit hard. The marilith's were tactically able to move about the battlefield inflicting a great deal of damage, while protecting themselves from easy ranged destruction. The Balor was a battlefield general stripping buffs, adding damage in support of his minions, moving opponents around the battlefield, and protecting himself in a cloud of darkness. He even escaped at the end and managed to kill one character and drop another.

A creature that acts a general or ruler of powerful creatures should have certain core abilities such as the ability to strip magic buffs off, the ability to move around a battlefield or move others, crowd control abilities like holds or grapples, communication abilities, and/or AoE attacks. They should be built to serve a similar function to an arcane caster in a PC party. If they are not built this and are instead solely hit point sponges, that is a poorly designed field general for powerful monsters. This is the type of poor monster design I've been seeing in 5E. They don't seem to be building monsters with the same idea that PCs build parties with.

PCs build parties to cover various capabilities be it travel, AoE damage, ranged attacking, and other advantageous factors that shift the battlefield in their favor. Monster designers should design monsters or monster groups in a similar fashion where different monsters provide certain types of support to the group in a way that seems appropriate. Using my demon example, the balor served the same function as a wizard using powerful magical support to either damage the group or support the group. This is how every major monster group of even single monsters should be designed, so they are capable of countering many PC tactics which mostly include magical support spells that shift battles in their favor. If monsters do not have the tools to counter the tactics PCs use, then they are not going to be challenging to a group of even semi-competent players. You can possibly compensate for this by putting the PCs in an environment that accomplishes the same function, but it's much easier to remake the monster. By remaking the monster, you also increase the number of environments and places where it can function effectively. This allows more variety in encounter design since the monster doesn't require environmental factors to be challenging. It can challenge PCs in a white room. Then environmental factors can be added to further increase the challenge if so desired, but are not required.

I posted my rebuilt balor and marilith earlier. They worked quite well. I will post my rebuilt goristro shortly. Suffice it to say, I finally feel satisfied with a major high level battle in 5E. I was able to find the sweet spot I was looking for. The goristro, balor, and marilith fulfilled without requiring a special environment their function according to the flavor text for each creature. They challenged a powerful level 12 party armed with major magic items and brought them to the brink of death. I have to say I'm very pleased with this outcome.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
GORISTRO

GORISTRO Huge fiend (demon), chaotic evil
Armor Class 19 (natural armor); Hit Points 310 (23d12 + 161); Speed 40ft.
STR 30 (+10) DEX 11 (+0) CON 25 (+7) INT 6 (- 2) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 14 (+2)
Saving Throws Str +13, Dex +6, Con +13, Wis +7
Skills Perception +7, Athletics +16
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons; Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages Abyssal
Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)
Charge. If the goristro moves at least 15 feet straight toward targets in its path, targets must make a DC 24 Dexterity save to avoid the hooves or take 22 (4d10) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 24 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 20 feet away and knocked prone. The Goristro can make a gore attack with advantage when charging. If successful, the target takes an additional 38 (7d10) piercing damage and must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or be pinned on the horn. If pinned on the horn, must make a DC 24 Strength or Dexterity save to escape causing them 22 (4d10) piercing damage in the process.

Labyrinthine Recall. The goristro ca n perfectly recall any path it has traveled.

Magic Resistance. The goristro has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Siege Monster. The goristro deals double damage to objects and structures.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The goristro makes three attacks: two with its fists and one with its hoof.

Fist. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 20 (3d8 + 10) bludgeoning damage.

Hoof Melee Weapon Attack:+ 16 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 23 (3d10 + 10) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 24 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 45 (7dl0 + 10) piercing damage.

DM Note: The Goristro is still a huge, monstrous bag of hit points, but it's much better at it. I changed the trample component of charge into something that works every time without having to roll a hit roll. You want your PCs to feel like they are fighting a demonic beast capable of killing them. This Goristro is much better at that function even against well built characters in any environment.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
YEENOGHU

YEENOGHU Huge fiend (demon), chaotic evil; Challenge 24 (62,000 XP)
Armor Class 25 (natural armor); Hit Points 720 (24d12 + 192 x 1.5 PC multiplier); Speed 50ft.
STR 29 (+9) DEX 16 (+3) CON 26 (+8) INT 16 (+3) WIS 24 {+7) CHA 16 (+3)
Saving Throws Str +16, Dex +10, Con +15, Int +10, Wis +14, CHA +10
Skills Intimidation +17, Perception +21, Athletics +16, Survival +21.
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing.
Damage Immunities poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned.
Senses truesight 400 ft., passive Perception 31
Languages all, telepathy sight range

Innate Spellcasting. Yeenoghu’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 18, +10 spell attack). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.
At will as free action: detect magic.
At will as bonus action: dispel magic, fear, invisibility, Spiritual weapon (8th level spell, 4d8+3 force damage on a hit).
At will as action: teleport.

Legendary Resistance (5/Day). If Yeenoghu fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. Yeenoghu has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Magic Weapons. Yeenoghu’s weapon attacks are magical. His flail acts as a +3 weapon.

Demon Lord Magic Immunity: Baphomet is immune to the additional effects besides damage of spells below 3rd level regardless of how the spell gains the additional ability. For example, he is immune to the knockback of eldritch blast with the Repelling Blast invocation.

Rampage. When Yeenoghu reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on his turn, Yeenoghu can take a bonus action to move up to half his speed and make a bite attack.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. Yeenoghu makes three flail attacks. If an attack hits, he can cause it to create an additional effect of his choice:

1. The attack deals an extra 13 (2d12) bludgeoning damage.
2. The target must succeed at a DC 22 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed until the start of Yeenoghu’s next turn (save is Wisdom based).
3. The target must succeed at a DC 22 Wisdom saving throw or be affected by a confusion spell until the start of Yeenoghu’s next turn (save is Wisdom based).

Flail. Melee Weapon Attack: + 19 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (2d12 + 9) bludgeoning damage.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: + 16 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 31 (4d10 + 9) piercing damage.

Endless Horde: Yeenoghu is constantly followed by a pack of gnolls and ghouls in near limitless number. The party would have to kill a thousand of them to destroy the pack that follow Yeenoghu. 1d6 gnolls and ghouls randomly attack each enemy that fights Yeenoghu, sometimes doing little more than providing their lord with an advantage in battle. They are enraged and gain advantage on all attacks. The DM should feel free to include more powerful gnolls or ghasts. Yeenoghu moves faster than his pack, so he may outdistance them in some battles. They are rarely more than a few hundred feet behind their lord. They feast upon any enemies Yeenoghu fells unless he orders them otherwise.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Yeenoghu can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Yeenoghu regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
Flail Attack. Yeenoghu makes a melee attack with his flail.
Charge. Yeenoghu moves up to his speed.
Swat Away. Yeenoghu makes a flail attack. If the attack hits, the target must succeed on a DC 24 strength saving throw or be pushed 15 feet in a straight line away from Yeenoghu. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the target falls prone.
Cast spell: He can cast a spell as a Legendary Action.
Savage (2 actions): Yeenoghu makes a bite attack against each creature with 10 feet of him.

Reaction: As a reaction to an attack that hits him, he can make a bite attack against that target.

LAIR ACTIONS: Same as book.

DM Notes: The hit point multiplier is based on number of party members over four. Not sure if I explained this earlier. The common design of monsters puts their hit point number at a level that is suitable for four the offense of four PCs. Each additional PC would require an additional 25% hit point increase to account for their offensive output.

Demon Lord Hit Points: I give demon lords maximum hit points from hit die given they are the most powerful, perfect members of their species.

Why dispel magic as a bonus action? Enhancement spells like bless or shield of faith provide a substantial advantage in combat. It is important that powerful creatures have the capacity to dispel such enhancements even if they are not capable of striking the individual causing concentration checks. This is often accomplished by adding spellcasting support to NPC encounters. I feel for singularly powerful creatures like a demon lord, it is a better cinematic effect to have them dispel spells as though their will is strong enough to break protective magics. Having this done as a bonus action allows them to maintain strong action economy against a PC party as well as demonstrating their immense power by having them break common magics with relative ease. Cinematically, this would be like a flash of their eyes or the utterance of a word or a simple act of will requiring no physical manifestation. It accomplishes the same function as having a spell support character that counters very powerful magic, but does so in a fashion that doesn't lessen the powerful feel singularly powerful creatures like demons should project.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The Giggling God of the Upright Hyenas

The heroes laid the fallen cleric to rest. Now they had no healer.

The heroes were well past civilization or what counts for civilization in the Underdark. This was uncharted territory save for the mad wizards like Vizeran that wandered such places secretly. Jharzzle's extraordinary Underdark guide abilities were tested as he traversed territory he had never traveled. He kept the trail following the directions Vizeran listed on his map.

Apothicas sensing a need did a sending with his amulet to a priestess of Shar, she came through the darkness to his location utilizing shadow magic known only to her sect. The others were uneasy with this new drow priestess, but Tytus tolerated her because she was not a follower of Lolth. She joined their cause knowing that Apothicas's loyalty to Shar was unwavering. He must have some plan to gain power and sow the dark evil of their goddess.

Many days after leaving the maze, traveling in the dark coldness of endless stone tunnels and caverns, giggling echoed far ahead. At first a soft echo, but growing louder as they moved forward. Jharzzle and Apothicas scouted forward a hundred feet. A few miles later, a vast horde of gnolls and ghouls moved down the tunnels like a moving carpet. They fell back, but too late. Their Lord's eyes saw better in the dark than they. He followed their return.

Apothicas quickly came up with the excellent idea of using the Daern's Instant Fortress. It acted as a bulwark against the coming horde. Before the heroes could rush into the protective walls, a gnoll of immense size and demonic fury wielding a three-headed flail appeared in their midst. It unleashed it's fury on them. This was no common demon of The Abyss, Darcain revealed, "Behold, Yeenoghu, Demon Lord of the Abyss."

The battle ensued. The heroes threw all of their might against Yeenoghu. Tytus and Darcain fell, but not without unleashing the twin powers of Hell and Seveltarm against the Demon Lord. Jharzzle swore the oath of Eilistraee making Yeenoghu its enemy. Apothicas erected a wall of force to keep Yeenoghu's oncoming horde at bay. The endless gnolls and ghouls could not penetrate. The newly arrived priestess proved her worth summoning a shadow self that moved about the battlefield providing blessings both from her and her shadow. With Darcain barely saved by a reviving spell from the priestess and Tytus fallen, Yeenoghu's assault turned to the fortress where Jharzzle hid within. He was so weakened that a smite from Apothicas felled the Demon Lord's physical form, weaker in the mortal realm than it would have been in the Abyss. Yeenoghu's body was but a vessel, it's demonic soul departed home to take up once again rule of its abyssal realm. The horde of gnolls and ghouls fled in madness seeking their Lord fall.

The heroes recovered. They took blood from Yeenoghu's corpose. Jharzzle tracked the path of Yeenoghu chancing upon the needed number of timmask's mushrooms in one of Yeenoghu's mighty footprints. Now they had a demon lord's blood, timmask mushrooms from a powerful demon's footprint, and a goristro heart. They were making progress.

DM's Notes: The battle went well in my mind's eye. Every player contributed substantially. Yeenoghu brought multiple players to the brink of death. Their was some effective tactical maneuvering. This is what I look for in epic battles.

I'm more and more abandoning my 3E/Pathfinder mindset of a static world with races requiring a specific set of statistics to make them seem real. I'm embracing what I consider 5E's cinematic vision of D&D. I'm building encounters with a visual idea of what they will look like when all the parts are moving. I'm building monsters with a cinematic visual idea of what they should be able to do. For example, if I want a monster to be able to physically dominate a fight with magic unable to impede this ability, then I build them in a way that accomplishes this forcing the PCs to use alternative means to defeat them, sometimes just brute force. I also increase their ability to hit and save to a level that ensures there will be sufficient damage output and defense against the PCs to seriously injure them. I do not want PCs walking away from fights with demon lords feeling unscathed no matter how powerful their magic items or effective their tactics. Some creatures should be so powerful that facing them is near suicide. What makes heroes heroes is they often face suicidal battles and somehow win. That's why they rise to become epic heroes. I feel it is up to the DM to create that suicidal battle where the PCs have to throw everything they have into it and still have no surety of victory. You want them to feel like they're in the battle of their lives risking everything to succeed and save the world, kingdom, village, or whatever they're trying to accomplish. What makes stories so compelling are the stakes and the lack of surety that the heroes will survive. A good DM wanting to give their players the thrill of playing a role in an epic, heroic story should do their best to create these types of battles to provide the amazing experience of a pulse-pounding, near-death battle with everything on the line.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
MADNESS OF YEENOGHU

MADNESS of YEENOGHU. d100 Flaw (lasts until cured).

01-20: “I get caught up in the flow of anger, and try to stoke others around me into forming an angry mob."
Effect: You constantly push the party to kill anyone they face, friend or enemy. You are always looking for an opportunity to turn any encounter into battle.

21—40 “The flesh of other intelligent creatures is delicious!"
Effect: You eat nearly anything you kill. You engage in cannibalism. You eat elves, dwarves, and any intelligent creature you defeat. If you go more than a few days without eating the flesh of intelligent creatures, you must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw to resist the urge to kill and consume an intelligent creature.

41—60 “I rail against the laws and customs of civilization, attempting to return to a more primitive time.”
Effect: You don’t feel comfortable in urban situations. You act like an uncivilized savage seeking to follow your survival of the fittest instinct.

61-80 “l hunger for the deaths of others, and am constantly starting fights in the hope of seeing bloodshed."
Effect: You give no mercy. You seek to kill anyone you face as an enemy. You start fights whenever you can, even with fellow party members. You must make a DC 15 Wisdom save to avoid starting a fight in any situation of even mild disagreement.

81—00 '‘I keep trophies from the bodies l have slain, turning them into adornments."
Effect: You take the ears, bones, teeth, tongues, eyes, and the like off enemies and wear them. You cannot be convinced not to do so. You suffer disadvantage on all social checks when dealing with civilized beings. You gain advantage on intimidation checks against most intelligent creatures.

dave2008

Legend
YEENOGHU Huge fiend (demon), chaotic evil; Challenge 24 (62,000 XP)
Armor Class 25 (natural armor); Hit Points 720 (24d12 + 192 x 1.5 PC multiplier); Speed 50ft.
STR 29 (+9) DEX 16 (+3) CON 26 (+8) INT 16 (+3) WIS 24 {+7) CHA 16 (+3)
Saving Throws Str +16, Dex +10, Con +15, Int +10, Wis +14, CHA +10
Skills Intimidation +17, Perception +21, Athletics +16, Survival +21.
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing.
Damage Immunities poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned.
Senses truesight 400 ft., passive Perception 31
Languages all, telepathy sight range

Innate Spellcasting. Yeenoghu’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 18, +10 spell attack). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.
At will as free action: detect magic.
At will as bonus action: dispel magic, fear, invisibility, Spiritual weapon (8th level spell, 4d8+3 force damage on a hit).
At will as action: teleport.

Legendary Resistance (5/Day). If Yeenoghu fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. Yeenoghu has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Magic Weapons. Yeenoghu’s weapon attacks are magical. His flail acts as a +3 weapon.

Demon Lord Magic Immunity: Baphomet is immune to the additional effects besides damage of spells below 3rd level regardless of how the spell gains the additional ability. For example, he is immune to the knockback of eldritch blast with the Repelling Blast invocation.

Rampage. When Yeenoghu reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on his turn, Yeenoghu can take a bonus action to move up to half his speed and make a bite attack.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. Yeenoghu makes three flail attacks. If an attack hits, he can cause it to create an additional effect of his choice:

1. The attack deals an extra 13 (2d12) bludgeoning damage.
2. The target must succeed at a DC 22 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed until the start of Yeenoghu’s next turn (save is Wisdom based).
3. The target must succeed at a DC 22 Wisdom saving throw or be affected by a confusion spell until the start of Yeenoghu’s next turn (save is Wisdom based).

Flail. Melee Weapon Attack: + 19 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (2d12 + 9) bludgeoning damage.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: + 16 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 31 (4d10 + 9) piercing damage.

Endless Horde: Yeenoghu is constantly followed by a pack of gnolls and ghouls in near limitless number. The party would have to kill a thousand of them to destroy the pack that follow Yeenoghu. 1d6 gnolls and ghouls randomly attack each enemy that fights Yeenoghu, sometimes doing little more than providing their lord with an advantage in battle. They are enraged and gain advantage on all attacks. The DM should feel free to include more powerful gnolls or ghasts. Yeenoghu moves faster than his pack, so he may outdistance them in some battles. They are rarely more than a few hundred feet behind their lord. They feast upon any enemies Yeenoghu fells unless he orders them otherwise.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Yeenoghu can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Yeenoghu regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
Flail Attack. Yeenoghu makes a melee attack with his flail.
Charge. Yeenoghu moves up to his speed.
Swat Away. Yeenoghu makes a flail attack. If the attack hits, the target must succeed on a DC 24 strength saving throw or be pushed 15 feet in a straight line away from Yeenoghu. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the target falls prone.
Cast spell: He can cast a spell as a Legendary Action.
Savage (2 actions): Yeenoghu makes a bite attack against each creature with 10 feet of him.

Reaction: As a reaction to an attack that hits him, he can make a bite attack against that target.

LAIR ACTIONS: Same as book.

DM Notes: The hit point multiplier is based on number of party members over four. Not sure if I explained this earlier. The common design of monsters puts their hit point number at a level that is suitable for four the offense of four PCs. Each additional PC would require an additional 25% hit point increase to account for their offensive output.

Demon Lord Hit Points: I give demon lords maximum hit points from hit die given they are the most powerful, perfect members of their species.

Why dispel magic as a bonus action? Enhancement spells like bless or shield of faith provide a substantial advantage in combat. It is important that powerful creatures have the capacity to dispel such enhancements even if they are not capable of striking the individual causing concentration checks. This is often accomplished by adding spellcasting support to NPC encounters. I feel for singularly powerful creatures like a demon lord, it is a better cinematic effect to have them dispel spells as though their will is strong enough to break protective magics. Having this done as a bonus action allows them to maintain strong action economy against a PC party as well as demonstrating their immense power by having them break common magics with relative ease. Cinematically, this would be like a flash of their eyes or the utterance of a word or a simple act of will requiring no physical manifestation. It accomplishes the same function as having a spell support character that counters very powerful magic, but does so in a fashion that doesn't lessen the powerful feel singularly powerful creatures like demons should project.

Nice work and thank you for sharing! This is very similar to the revision to Yeenoghu that I did. I had some ranger features to mine, and some more spells, but I don't have the bonus action dispell magic - I like that idea a lot. I also really like the endless horde. That is much better than the simple demon summoning mine has - I just might have to steal that ;)

Remove ads