• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can Dextyr Keep All These Strikers Alive? (DM: JoeNotCharles, Ozymandias79 Judging)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=Creature stats and OA's]
Here are the stats I should have given at the start of combat:

Warforged Hunter: HP 56; AC 20, Fort 17, Reflex 15, Will 14; Basic attack: Longsword +9 vs AC, 1d8+4 damage and target marked until end of Warforged's next turn
Rotting Hound: HP minion; AC 15, Fort 11, Reflex 17, Will 11; Basic attack: Gravebite +4 vs Reflex; 5 necrotic damage
Fell Taint: HP 20; AC 15, Fort 12, Reflex 12, Will 14; Basic attack: Tendril Caress +5 vs Reflex; 1d6+4 psychic damage

Now that I've posted the creature stats, please roll any obvious OA's you take for yourself. (So Mikara would have rolled the two Fell Taint attacks and posted them at the same time she did her action, which would probably have changed what Dextyr chose...

Also, I keep seeing people ask "Which one is Fell Taint 1?" and things like that. You realize their locations are listed in the Status block, right? "Fell Taint 1 at E12" means the one at E12 is Fell Taint 1. Is this hard to follow? Should I do something else?
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mikara]
Fell Taint 1 is the one south of you, at E12. I assume that's the one you're attacking.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Dextyr]
Majestic Word is a minor action, not standard, so you wouldn't have needed an AP for your actions as posted.

However, Fell Taint 3 isn't in your square, its floating 5' above it, so you can't shift as you stand. (The issue isn't just that it's flying, it's that it's not in your square - it's flying in the square above the square you're in.) So you could: use your move to stand, standard to shift to F16, minor to use Majestic Word and shift to E16, AP to attack; or just attack from F16, changing your targets slightly but not using an AP; or you might want to reconsider and use Majestic Word on Mikara instead, since her hp total has changed drastically since you posted your action.

I'm going to just have you go last so I can resolve everyone else's action and still give you a chance to reconsider your actions. (Please use the same rolls as much as possible if you're doing similar actions.) That means Tonk had a chance to move you using King's Castle - if you don't want that, say so and I'll negate it. (It needs a willing ally.)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Blade]
At this point, Fell Taint 1 is dead, so the only one left next to Mikara is Fell Taint 2. Unfortunately it has full cover from you, since there's more than 1 square of trees in the way. Fortunately, it has low defenses so you hit it anyway.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Tonk]
Yeah, your posted action made no sense because Dextyr wouldn't even have been there. But since I'm not doing Dextyr till after you, I'll go ahead and do your action as posted.

However, my reading of King's Castle is that you make the attack first, then shift. So you can't attack the G14 hound from there, the only enemy you can reach is the Fell Taint again. So I'll have you attack that. Also, now that you know their full hp totals you can see that Furious Assault isn't needed to kill it, so I'll let you save it.
[/sblock]

Mikara aims her bow at the nearest floating gasbag, but as she is distracted, both of them dart forward as one and pass their tendrils across her head - through her head! The pain is excruciating as she feels an alien presence physically touching her thoughts. She manages to let her arrow fire before falling face first onto the branch and grabbing at the tree. Her bow slips from her fingers, as does the tree branch... As she blacks out, she is rewarded by the sight of her arrow puncturing one of the creatures and flying through into the sky beyond. The creature melts into an iridescent ooze which rains down onto the forest floor and evaporates into an oily stain. It is Mikara's last sight before she also tumbles to the ground below, landing in a crumpled, bleeding heap at the base of the tree. The other fell taint sinks slowly down to hover over her barely breathing body...

As it moves, Blade catches a quick glimpse of it through the trees and flings a radiant dart at it. He scorches away a piece of its bubbling hide, causing it to jerk away from Mikara. Empowered by the success, he flings himself into the teeth of his enemies. One of the fell taints lashes a tendril at his head, causing impossible colours to bloom behind his eyes, but his momentum carries him out of its reach before it can invade his mind completely. The zombie dogs bite at him, their jaws leaving trails of boiling black energy which melts away as soon as it touches his skin. With every attack, more power surges through him, until at last he faces the Warforged Hunter and raises his axe...

And as the hunter turns to face Blade's onslaught, Tristan leaps from the shadow of the trees to sink his scimitar into its unprotected back. Tristan hits it twice in quick succession, cracking through its metallic backplate, but it is Blade's massive swing which splinters open its ribcage and drives it to its knees. The red light in the warforged's sunken eyesockets flickers feebly.

As Blade's rush distracts the Fell Taint hovering over Dextyr, Tonk attacks from hiding. His shuriken sinks deeply into the maw that lurks between its tentacles and, as it flails in pain, he jumps down and bashes it out of the air with his mace. It splatters into a tree and explodes into gelatinous gibbets which slowly melt into vapour. Tonk grabs Dextyr and thrusts him behind him, leaving himself facing the circle of undead dogs.

[sblock=Status]
Tristan moves to C12 and hides. Since the Fell Taint at D13 is 10' overhead, it can't make an opportunity attack. He places his Oath of Enmity on the warforged, shifts a long way to G10 (hey, I remembered Wild Step this time!), and hits it for 17. Then he hits it again with Bond of Pursuit for 9.

Mikara puts her Hunter's Quarry on Fell Taint 1, and hits it for 21, killing it instantly. (Where are you shifting to?) Unfortunately, the OA's are interrupts, so you still take 2: 2 OA's on Mikara (vs Reflex) (1d20+5=21, 1d6+4=9, 1d20+5=25, 1d6+4=8) That second is a critical, so it actually does 10: 19 psychic damage total. She's at -1 hp left, and dying. Which means she falls prone. I will give her a save to avoid falling out of the tree: Save to avoid falling out of the tree (1d20=3) Which she fails.

Mikara falls 10 feet while unconscious, taking Falling damage (1d10=10). That puts her at -11, 1 point from automatic death.

Blade attacks Fell Taint 2 with Radiant Vengeance, hitting Reflex 13 for 7 and gaining 4 thp. Then he puts his Oath of Enmity on the Warforged and moves to H12, drawing OA's from Fell Taint 3, Fell Taint 4, Rotting Hound 2, and Rotting Hound 4: 2 OA's on Blade (vs Reflex) (1d20+5=22, 1d6+4=9, 1d20+5=8, 1d6+4=6), 2 OA's on Blade (1d20+4=21, 1d20+4=24) 1 hit for 9 psychic, 2 hits fo 5 necrotic each (negated by his resistance), and adding 12 to his damage rolls from Censure of Retribution. Yeesh! He hits the Warforged for 33 damage, bloodying it, and leaving Avenging Echoes.

Tonk hits Fell Taint 3 with a shuriken for 17 damage, bloodying it. Then he moves to H16 and attacks it again for 13, killing it. He switches places with Dextyr: he ends up at G15, and Dextyr at G16 (Dextyr can refuse to do this if he wants).

Dextyr needs to post a new action, then it's Lilf and the bad guys again.

Lilf Proudfoot at G18 (17 damage, immobilized)

Warforged Hunter at G11 (50 damage)
Rotting Hound 1 at E12 (0 damage)
Rotting Hound 2 at G14 (0 damage)
Rotting Hound 3 at F13 (0 damage)
Rotting Hound 4 at H14 (0 damage)
Fell Taint 1 at E12, 10' up (21 damage)
Fell Taint 2 at D13, 10' up (7 damage)
Fell Taint 3 at G15, 5' up (30 damage)
Fell Taint 4 at H14, 5' up (0 damage)

Tristan (24/28 hp, Oath of Enmity on Warforged, can shift 5 squares as a free action if Warforged doesn't end its next turn adjacent to him)
Tonk (24/24 hp)
Dextyr (10/28 hp, prone, Stealth 11)
Blade (20/29 hp, Oath of Enmity on Warforged, until end of next turn any enemy that ends its turn adjacent to, hits, or misses him takes 9 radiant damage)
Mikara (-11/24 hp, dying)
[/sblock]

2qxu8wg.png

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
The darkness
hurries forth,
advancing
toward me
starkly.

With a
heartfelt
air of
terror

youth and vitality,
overpowered by
unrestrained evil,

gasp for breath.
Every moment,
the darkness closes

yearning for life's force.
Opening her arms
unprotestingly,

she embraces the
ominous darkness...
Notingness.

Oblivion
falls.

Apathy? No!

Intelligence!
Tenacity!
Bravery!
Cunning
Heroic!

Mikara smiles as she sees the Taint fall. She closes her eyes for what may well be the last time.

[sblock=OOC:]Ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuch!:eek::eek::eek:

I knew I should have taken Twin Strike.

Help!:-S
[/sblock]

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=Monster Info]
Here are the stats I should have given at the start of combat....
I like this better than looking up the monsters in the book. It spoils the surprise when I know what the monsters can do. To be honest, I don't even like knowing how many HP and what defenses they've got. Makes things too 'gamey' and predictable, kind of like a computer game.[/sblock]

[sblock=Tonk's Actions]
Yeah, your posted action made no sense because Dextyr wouldn't even have been there. But since I'm not doing Dextyr till after you, I'll go ahead and do your action as posted.
Okay.

However, my reading of King's Castle is that you make the attack first, then shift.
That's fine. My understanding was that if the effect didn't specify the order of events, then I could determine it when I use the ability (since flavor text is irrelevant and mutable).[/sblock]

Ozymandias79

First Post
[sblock=Judge Comments]OK, JNC, this might be me throwing a wrench in the machinery BUT Mikara can shift with nimble strike BEFORE or after she attacks as the power states so[/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOC:]
[sblock=Judge Comments]OK, JNC, this might be me throwing a wrench in the macjinery BUT Mikara can shift with nimble strike BEFORE or after she attacks as the power states so[/sblock]

I'm staying out of that discussion until JNC and Ozy have it out. I'm cool with it either way.:cool:

/drama!

[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=Stats]
Yeah, normally I would just list defenses and basic attacks, I just put the entire reference last week because I was in a big hurry (as you can probably tell).

I don't think I like Mal's style of initiative unless you give the stats - we already had too much confusion about whether things were dead, and we only did one round!
[/sblock]

[sblock=Shifting]
I'm not sure whether Ozy's trying to say that King's Castle works like Nimble Strike, or that Mikara could have saved herself by shifting? So I'll answer both:

Mikara didn't post that she was going to shift. I'm not sure why she would choose Nimble Strike without a shift, but just before that she said, "I'm fine with not shifting while in the trees" so I thought it was deliberate.

Nimble Strike says explicitly, "Special: Shift 1 square before or after you attack." I think most powers that let you shift before, or before-or-after, say so explicitly. King's Castle says, "Attack: ... Hit: ... Effect: Switch places with a willing adjacent ally." "Effect" is like "Hit" and "Miss", except it takes place whenever you make the attack, regardless of whether it hits or misses, which tells me that since it's an effect of the attack, it takes place after the attack. Although I admit I can't find that written anywhere explicitly.
[/sblock]

Ozymandias79

First Post
[sblock=Judge]OK, what I meant was that she could have avoided the OAs if she shifted before she attacked as she used nimble strike but if Gimlord is okay with it so am I[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOC:] OK, let me wax philosophical here B-). I have a few 'tenets' that I like to hold (I don't always hold them, but I've found that things go better when I do).

1. The DM is the word of clarification on any ambiguious issue. Don't argue with the DM unless he's being a total Jerk (Despite what Ken said in his thread, I don't think JNC has crossed that line yet;)).

2. Dice are there to make the game unpredictable. If you don't do what they tell you, you're not playing a game. You're writing a book.

3. The point of the game is to create a story about your character, and contribute to the story of other characters, from their beginning to their end. If you're story never ends, then it becomes an eternal cliffhanger with no point.

If Mikara loses her last hitpoint, she dies doing what she would want to die doing. No biggie. Story told. Roll a new character and begin again. Is happy :).

In my home-brew Avenroc campaign, she made it to level 3 and died defending Hankel against a band of gnolls who had inhabited his grandfather's keep. It was a glorious end for a skilled archer, and it made the story seem real.

OK. Enough of the philosophy. On with the story!

[sblock=BTW:]

According to JNC's last status post, Tristan hit the warforged for 17, and 9. Blade hit him for 33. This adds to 59. If this is true, the warforged should be dead. Check the math and see. I might be reading this wrong.
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Yes, I missed the 9. Well, you strikers are living up to your name! You just killed an L5 Soldier before it could act!
[/sblock]

The warforged waves its arm weakly and chatters a metallic sounding command. The rotting dogs prick up their ears (whats left of them) and turn to surround Tristan and Blade. The warforged wheezes a hollow laugh and tries to stand, fighting to the last, before a leather tendon frayed by Tristan's final strike snaps and its body collapses heavily to the ground again. The light in its eyes dies completely.

[sblock=Status (updated)]
The warforged actually took 59 damage, and is dead.

Still waiting on Dextyr, then it's Lilf and the bad guys again.

Lilf Proudfoot at G18 (17 damage, immobilized)

Warforged Hunter at G11 (59 damage)
Rotting Hound 1 at E12 (0 damage)
Rotting Hound 2 at G14 (0 damage)
Rotting Hound 3 at F13 (0 damage)
Rotting Hound 4 at H14 (0 damage)
Fell Taint 1 at E12, 10' up (21 damage)
Fell Taint 2 at D13, 10' up (7 damage)
Fell Taint 3 at G15, 5' up (30 damage)
Fell Taint 4 at H14, 5' up (0 damage)

Tristan (24/28 hp, Oath of Enmity on Warforged, can shift 5 squares as a free action if Warforged doesn't end its next turn adjacent to him)
Tonk (24/24 hp)
Dextyr (10/28 hp, prone, Stealth 11)
Blade (20/29 hp, Oath of Enmity on Warforged, until end of next turn any enemy that ends its turn adjacent to, hits, or misses him takes 9 radiant damage)
Mikara (-11/24 hp, dying)
[/sblock]

Remove ads