• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can you like both 5e and Pathfinder?

Is it? Isn't hatred too strong a point of view regarding a RPG variant? I can understand preference. I can understand "not my cup of tea". But hate, over a version of D&D? Not so sure that's valid. Generally hate is an emotion served for things which cause actual harm to people.

I'm sorry, me not native speaker, me may have unintentionally used wrong connotation or offensive terminology.

Pibby

First Post
I like both 5e and Pathfinder although it has been a while since I played Pathfinder.

If I was to return to Pathfinder and DM it I would run it with an E6 ruleset. Whenever I played with friends in high level 3.P it always derailed from the original campaign and barriers of any kind meant literally nothing with casters in the party unless there was DM fiat going on. Which isn't bad for an open world campaign (barring DM fiat) but I know for most DMs it's jarring.

I only got involved in Pathfinder because it was hard to find people in my area who were interested in anything else. It's far too crunchy when it comes to general mechanics for my taste. The things I like about it, though, are all the options when it comes to character creation (I like crunchiness there), the wide range of playable races, and the wide range of playable classes (though, to be honest, I prefer classless systems).

I was initially put off by the very crappy art in parts of the 5e Player's Handbook, but overall I like the system. I like the fact that it's less mechanics-intensive than Pathfinder, but I would really like to see a lot more options for playable races and different classes.

I don't care for the magic systems in either, so I generally end up playing non-magic using classes. I despise Vancian magic in particular. The only RPG magic system I really like is the one in the oWoD Mage game.

Though I started with D&D in the latter half of the 1970s, high fantasy in general is not my favorite genre. I'm a little bit burned out on it. That's what most people want to play, though, so I'm stuck with it for the most part.

Gizmoduck_5000

First Post
I said despise PF but that is just a term. Obviously I don't despise a game in the same way I may despise a person who has done something bad to me.

I do. I absolutely do. I hate 3.x/Pathfinder with the intensity of a thousand exploding stars. I get viscerally angry whenever I see a 3E class write-up. Like, it's completely unhealthy how much I hate that game. I don't even hate people who wrong me in real life as much as I hate that game.

That said, it's possible, even common, to like both. Most gamers out there probably don't give a wet turd about rule systems, and are more than happy to play whatever their friends are playing, and then they hang up their dice, put away their books and don't even think about it until the next game night.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I do. I absolutely do. I hate 3.x/Pathfinder with the intensity of a thousand exploding stars. I get viscerally angry whenever I see a 3E class write-up. Like, it's completely unhealthy how much I hate that game. I don't even hate people who wrong me in real life as much as I hate that game.

That said, it's possible, even common, to like both. Most gamers out there probably don't give a wet turd about rule systems, and are more than happy to play whatever their friends are playing, and then they hang up their dice, put away their books and don't even think about it until the next game night.

I once thought my hat of d02 know no limit but I found out it did.

Remove ads