• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can you like both 5e and Pathfinder?

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Im sure the enlightened answer is Yes, I love 5e, its what's gotten me back to D&D after a 15 yr hiatus (last played 1 & 2e back in the early 90s). I have a great 5e campaign going set in Baldur's Gate (Im using Murder in BG as my home base). Anyway, Ive researched and discovered the versatility, variations and complexities of PF to be equally fulfilling to me. Im joining a PF group next month and been reading the PF core pdf. So far Im not intimidated by it and while there are a ton of options, I like the contrast to the simplicity of 5e.

Am I the only one? Cant 5e and PF get along??

neobolts

Explorer
Of course you can like both. You basically answered your own question, but yeah...the world is a big enough place for lots of different systems of varying complexity. I'm running Numenera and gearing up for 5e because I've been gravitating towards simpler systems lately. Another DM in our group has turned Pathfinder into a highly technical optimization-fest. Personal bias plays into it a bit: if players prefer one playstyle over the other or has a negative view of one of the companies, then its easy to "pick a side." Some people spend too much time worrying about the stuff they don't want to run, rather than the stuff the do want to run.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I do like 5E and Pathfinder, and I'm playing both. So yes, I can like both 5E and Pathfinder.

Wolfskin

Explorer
Sure you can, and a lot of gamers I know enjoy both games.

As a DM, PF is far too complex for me too run, and as a player I suck at optimized character builds and end up being dead weight for the party, so I stay away from most PF games. But I don't have anything against the game itself.

It depends where, when and with whom you play. You play in a store with semi-strangers? 5e is more adapted to that environment. You play at home with friends? PF can reach its full potential in that environment.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Uh, sure? :) I've never been interested in Pathfinder because it represents a 3E tool-set that, by the end of its tenure, left me exhausted and frustrated. It's possible PF fixes the things about 3E that I grew to dislike, but I don't need another high fantasy RPG in my life with 5E ticking so many boxes.

The product itself is amazing, though. They know what they're doing over there, no doubt about that.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Yes. I like them both. I'm tired of Pathfinder. Been playing it a long time. I'd love to see a new Pathfinder streamlined and gutted of all the strange rules that lead to sickening combinations that players expect to be able to use as they hold DMs hostage to the text of the rule.

More than that, I like what the Paizo design team does. I seriously miss Adventure Paths. Each module felt like it was worth its money. They didn't just give you an adventure, they gave you a short story, some world information, some new monsters, on top of a usually fun and detail adventure. I'm not real impressed with WotC's first adventure release. Not much to them.

Yes.

I'm personally tired of 3e/PF and ready for a new game (that's not 4e) but I still have some Pathfinder to finish and I'll likely still play Pathfinder Society. If I had time for two campaigns, I'd happily do one PF and one 5e. But fatherhood limits my free evenings.

Remove ads