• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can you like both 5e and Pathfinder?

Sebkha

First Post
Can you like them both? Yes. Should you like them both? No; you should only like the correct one. There are no noncombants in edition wars.

There is some psychology behind the either/or mentality. It's a little like the sunk cost fallacy: the individual spent money on one and now has to validate that choice to themself, defending the selection to avoid thinking that they wasted money.

pemerton

Legend
There is some psychology behind the either/or mentality. It's a little like the sunk cost fallacy: the individual spent money on one and now has to validate that choice to themself, defending the selection to avoid thinking that they wasted money.
For some people, it may just be that they like one game and not the other!

Just as it's possible to like both, so it's possible to like only one of them, or even neither of them!

Zardnaar

Legend
I heard "there can be only one" from my spare room the other day with my D&D books and the sounds of clashing swords. I think I heard the sound of a head hitting the ground and then the lights exploded and lightning zig zagged around the house.

delericho

Legend
I heard "there can be only one" from my spare room the other day with my D&D books and the sounds of clashing swords. I think I heard the sound of a head hitting the ground and then the lights exploded and lightning zig zagged around the house.

Cool. I bet the sequel to that story will be awesome.

ShadoWWW

Explorer
I like both, but don't have time to play both of them becase of my job and family. I chose to play 5e nowadays because of quicker prep time, and easier handling at the game table.

Yes, you can love both of them, but they're very different beasts which may appeal to very different tasts, and hating one of them is a perfectly valid point of view.

Remove ads