• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can you like both 5e and Pathfinder?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Of course you can like them both. Or like neither. Or one. Or the other.

Me? I like both and am playing both. I get nice, highly customizable adventuring in my Sunday PF game and I get more streamlined, lower overhead adventuring in my Thursday 5e game.

Eejit

First Post
Of course people can like both. I don't. PF has nice adventure paths etc. but the rules of 3/PF are just too arcane and the bloat isn't attractive either.

Paraxis

Explorer
NO!

just kidding.

I enjoy 5th Edition, Pathfinder, 4e, 13th Age, Savage Worlds, and Iron Kingdoms. Those are just the games I have used to have fun with Fantasy tabletop roleplaying in the past year. Fun is Fun.

S

Sunseeker

The biggest thing I like about Pathfinder over 5th edition is simply diversity, which I'm sure 5th will develop in time. The mechanics of the game don't hold me much, never did.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Of course you can like both. In fact, despite edition wars on message boards, I suspect that is the norm. I think a lot of sales in this industry is overlapping as opposed to either/or in nature.

In fact I know a group (who I do not think is typical) who will play Mutants and Masterminds one night, Spycraft another night, Stargate d20 another night, D&D 1e another night, then Mouse Guard, then 5e, then Shadow Run, then Traveller, then PF, then FATE, etc.. They treat the different RPGs like board games, rather than as a single ongoing campaign. They might have ongoing characters in some of those games...but they're not using those same characters every week. They just pick up where they last left off with them, which might even be last year.

Remove ads