D&D 5E Can you use misty step to arrest a fall?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Dude, you do what you want at your table. But I don't feel like the spirit of the spells limits their usage in this way. It's a teleportation spell with a limited range and limited capacity. You can focus on strict game elements if you like, but I prefer my games to be more story-driven and allow for broader usage of abilities. If you need a very specific wording for every single spell an ability, then you end up with the 500 page tomes of spells like in AD&D or the 20 billion different spells from 3e.
We're discussing RAW, not what I would do at my table.

I would probably let it work. I just wouldn't incorrectly claim that it was RAW for it to work.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Show me what RAW says the beginning of an attack ends before an attack roll. Because once that sword is swinging towards you, the beginning of the attack, it ends with the attack roll.

Which part of "If the reaction interrupts another creature's turn, that creature can continue its turn right after the reaction." causes a problem to you ? I interrupt a creature between his declaration that he intends to attack me and the actual attack and its resolution. I nullify the attack, because when he resumes his attack, I am no longer a valid target.

@Lyxen this is the attack routine.

"1 . Choose a target. Pick a target within your attack's range: a creature, an object, or a location."

The attack has not begun yet. You've just decided who you are going to attack.

You have declared an attack (probably swinging your sword in my direction), this is obviously perceivable, and therefore a valid trigger, so misty step goes off, interrupting the rest of the attack sequence. 100. %. RAW.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Which part of "If the reaction interrupts another creature's turn, that creature can continue its turn right after the reaction." causes a problem to you ? I interrupt a creature between his declaration that he intends to attack me and the actual attack and its resolution. I nullify the attack, because when he resumes his attack, I am no longer a valid target.
The part where you are skipping the end of the trigger which is the hit or miss. That's the part I am having trouble with. The beginning is the attack roll. The finish is the hit or miss.

Lyxen

Great Old One
The part where you are skipping the end of the trigger which is the hit or miss. That's the part I am having trouble with. The beginning is the attack roll. The finish is the hit or miss.

No, the beginning it not the attack roll. In any case, the attack roll is NOT a perceivable event, and it would not be a valid trigger. Whereas the intent of attack, the declaration, corresponds to something in the game world, the weapon is moving in my direction.

By the way, if you are in doubt as to whether a spell can interrupt and modify the result of an attack sequence, I really suggest looking at the Shield spell, which is exactly the same thing, a reaction right in the middle of the attack sequence (it's even after being "hit"), which modifies the result of the attack and can change a hit to a miss. 4e had many more triggers of the kind, including swapping targets...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What's the point in bringing real life physics into this though?
Real life experience is what is relevant, not the fact that the physics are different. Picturing the fiction just doesn't work. And it doesn't make sense as a rule, either. You can't use any actions because it's "instant", but it uses your movement?

It's a foolish, poorly thought out, rule.

doctorbadwolf

No, the beginning it not the attack roll. In any case, the attack roll is NOT a perceivable event, and it would not be a valid trigger. Whereas the intent of attack, the declaration, corresponds to something in the game world, the weapon is moving in my direction.

By the way, if you are in doubt as to whether a spell can interrupt and modify the result of an attack sequence, I really suggest looking at the Shield spell, which is exactly the same thing, a reaction right in the middle of the attack sequence (it's even after being "hit"), which modifies the result of the attack and can change a hit to a miss. 4e had many more triggers of the kind, including swapping targets...
See also; deflect missiles.

doctorbadwolf

Dude, you do what you want at your table. But I don't feel like the spirit of the spells limits their usage in this way. It's a teleportation spell with a limited range and limited capacity. You can focus on strict game elements if you like, but I prefer my games to be more story-driven and allow for broader usage of abilities. If I wanted to play D&D like a video game, I'd just play Baldur's Gate 3 (fantastic game btw, highly recommend). If you need a very specific wording for every single spell an ability, then you end up with the 500 page tomes of spells like in AD&D or the 20 billion different spells from 3e.
Right, which isn't how 5e is written nor intended to be read. The rules text intentionally doesn't cover everything, and explicitly makes the DMs judgement part of the game engine.
Also, for those of you hung up on the spell being a reaction versus of bonus action, I thought combat was the only time rounds and action economy come into play. Outside of the combat, things get less well-defined, so it seems perfectly reasonable to use a spell as a "reaction" when you aren't actually using rounds and initiative to determine order of actions and action economy.
Exactly. Outside of a fight, you aren't in a turn or a round. Timing is determined by the story and the DM.

Remove ads