• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can't touch the PCs! What's a DM to Do?

Crothian

First Post
Simple ways: In a city, have thieves steal the potions. Have inflation drive up the cost of buying them. In the wilderness. Have a bunch of weker encounters that harass the party. Make them use their potions up. They can't be carrying that many of them. Have them have to cross a large river in a hurry (the only way to escape from the maurauding owlbears who will not cross the water). THe party has a to dump some gear or else they will not easily make swimming checks. Have owlbears, dozen or so, close behind them so party has little time to think.

At the beginning of the session ask how many potions they have. Make sure they don't refill them easily. Keep the party busy doing others things.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The problem is that you may have given them too much! The other thing is are you and them having fun? The game is not about knocking them down.

I think you are hitting them with too few or too low CR creatures. Up the number or increase the CR of the encounters.

Now hit them with area effect spells, also think about your encounters, see what their weakness are and go after them. If one of them flys always have bowmen to shoot at him. Think about a foe thta alays hits from the shadows, firebombs their room while they are a sleep (how much equipment do they lose). Use monsters that have levels, it is not just a hill gaint, it is a hill gaint fighter/monk.

maddman75

First Post
Here's a RB DM trick that got pulled on me.

Have the enemies of the players infiltrate the temple the characters are buying potions from, and slip in a vial of poison marked "Cure Serious Wounds." This REALLY sucks.

mearls

Hero
Chriskaballa said:
Carnifex: Unfortunately, one player takes home all the character sheets after sessions. He is really possessive about this, so I cant', say, take home the sheets and look them over or custom-tailor encounters for them. I will try to do so today, though.

It sounds like you may have lost control of your game. It happens to everyone who sits behind the screen at least once in their career, and luckily there's ways to control it.

1. DEMAND their character sheets. They have no right to keep them hidden from view. At the end of your next session, tell them you're doing a magic item audit. Take their sheets, add up the value of their treasure, and write that down. Also note how many potions and other magic items they carry. It will probably be easiest to photocopy their sheets. Your first line of defense is bookkeeping. It can be boring, but mark down every last GP you give them and keep track of all their items. If Bob the Fighter has 3 clw potions, and he tries downing 4 after a battle, call him out on it. If he complains, show him your copy of his character sheet. End of discussion.

2. Read up on character treasure per level and rewards in the DMG. They might have too much treasure, and if so it's time to scale back their rewards or throw, say, EL 8 encounters with EL 6 treasure at them.

3. Don't use DM fiat to deny them potions or anything else they commonly use, unless they break the rules. Believe me, this may seem an easy out, but it causes all sorts of trouble. I've been part of such "solutions" in the past on both sides of the screen, and it always leads to trouble. If you keep track of the party's resources, then this problem should solve itself as they run low on cash. Remember, potions aren't free.

4. Throw them a few curveballs. If they charge forward to attack all the time, then the enemy illusionists uses his spells to disguise a few pits that lie between the monsters and the party. Remember, too, that the EL system assumes a party of 4 adventurers, not 6. Adjust the ELs upward to compensate for your larger than average party.

5. Above all, remember that as DM you don't compete with the players. You set the scene and act as a referee, but you should never be out to get anyone. That doesn't mean take it easy on the players. After all, if the game is too easy they may get bored.

I'm willing to bet that after steps 1 and 2, your problems will be history. It's important as a DM in D&D to have a good grasp of what the party can do and what sort of items they have. That's the first step to building challenging encounters.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Or we could just let them try out Durgham's Folly Mike! ;) I'm sure between that and a couple nice little things ranging from Demons and Devils, to a short foray into Rappen Athuk, they might start to rethink their attempts. :)

saduff

First Post
Your the DM you have the complete right to look over character sheets when you need to. Make copies of them. The problem I think you have is that your players know what they are fighting what if they didn't.

My main point is that if the players see a skeleton approaching is it a skeleton or a mummy with no wrappings? The unwise character(s)that makes that choice will be hurting...

Ziggy

First Post
If they can heal their damage with CLW you are not doing not damage to them :)

At this level, capable monster should be doing *at least* 10-15 HP of damage per round, and then CLW will not be nearly enough.

Remember (as others have already stated) you are the dungeon MASTER. I regularly throw EL8 encounters at my level 5h party, just because they can handle it (high stats, special powers). And you can do the same :D

It's no fun to win every encounter without any challenge, so start to break out the big hitters, and scare them a bit ! Throw them some curve balls, and be a RBDM(tm) you too !

.Ziggy

Epametheus

First Post
1) I'm surprised no one else caught this: unless there's a house rule in place, NP potions can't exist - potions can only be of 3rd level spells or lower. But that's a minor point.

2) As the DM, you have a right to see the character sheets; if your players can't handle that, then you've got some pretty crappy players.

3) How much treasure are you handing out? Potions are costly enough that continually replenishing them should be putting a dent in the party's money.

4) You're probably being timid in your encounters. Drop the hammer on them -- for example, toss an ogre with a couple barbarian levels at them (they aren't going to be able to instantly heal from THAT; on a crit you'll probably kill someone) and have a pair of L6 Kobold sorcerers backing it up, along with some sort of cleric or druid for back up. And some worgs to provide padding. It should be brutal, but they'll hopefully appreciate it -- I think there's something neat about staring into the jaws of death and throwing a grenade right in, and hopefully they will too.

James McMurray

First Post
NP Potions can be created via the rules in Tome and Blood. They are much more costly and require Brew Potion and Craft Wondrous Item, but other than that, they're fair game.

Remove ads