• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cape of the Fire Bath = immune to fire?

bramshackle

Explorer
Hey. Long time reader, first time poster.

I play 3.5
Cape of the Fire Bath is from Magic of Faerun, and there doesn's seem to be any errata on it.

The book says "the wearer withstands warm weather and fire damage as if he had endure elements (fire) cast upon him." [my italics]

The accompanying picture shows a person in the cape who is on fire, but seems fine.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a spell called "endure elements (fire)" and the regular 'endure elements' spell does not allow one to withstand any kind of fire damage.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work?
Does the cape actually prevent fire damage at all? Does it work against only natural fire and not magical fire?
I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this.

Help would be much appreciated.

FEADIN

Explorer
IIRC in 3.0 the endure element spell protected from 5 points of damage from cold and heat (fire)?
May be it's the explanation.

bramshackle

Explorer
Thanks.

I'm still hoping theres a more 'official' 3.5 answer.

But if it is a leftover from 3.0, how exactly does it work.
I believe its supposed to provide immunity to heat and heat effects....but then if it was something like a fireball it would just reduce the damage?

Anyone know?

Nebten

First Post
Its a leftover from 3.0. Endure Elements in 3.0 granted 5 resistance against an element that was announced when cast such as (fire), (cold), (acid) etc. So under 3.0 rules, it would grant resist 5 fire.

But in 3.5, it grants the spell Endure Elements, which just means the person can stand very hot or very cold climates.

coyote6

Adventurer
Magic of Faerun was for 3.0, so the endure elements the item refers to is the 3.0 endure elements, which granted 5 resistance to one energy type. In 3.5e, it would simply give fire resistance 5 (and maybe mention that it protects against warm weather like the 3.5e version of endure elements).

irdeggman

First Post
I'd let that item grant fire resistance 5. That's clearly what its writers intended.

In 3.0, but the mechanics have changed in 3.5.

To verify it was a 3.5 book some of the prestige classes gave "scry" as a class skill.

This skill was removed in 3.5.

In order to use anything from this book in a 3.5 game it must be analyzed and updated by the DM.

Jhaelen

First Post
I'd let that item grant fire resistance 5. That's clearly what its writers intended.
Says who? Are you one of the writers? ;)

Not knowing the item in question it may just as well have been the authors intention to provide the same benefits that are granted by the endure elements spell.

It's strictly a DMs call. E.g. in my game the item wouldn't even exist...

frankthedm

First Post
Says who? Are you one of the writers? ;)

Not knowing the item in question it may just as well have been the authors intention to provide the same benefits that are granted by the endure elements spell.
AT the time of that books writing, "Energy resist 5" & "the same benefits that are granted by the endure elements " were the same ;). When 3.5 rolled around and the game devs decided a first level slot for 5 energy resistance was too low a cost and nerfed the energy resistance aspect of Endure Elements, much like the Animal Buffs got nerfed to hell.

Definitely the 3.5 devs would have this item be just the 3.5 endure elements spell, no grandfathering in of 5 energy resist.

3.0 Endure Elements
Abjuration
Level: Clr 1, Drd 1, Pal 1, Sor/Wiz 1, Strength 1, Sun 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
This abjuration grants a creature limited protection to damage from whichever one of five energy types the character selects: acid, cold, fire, electricity, or sonic. Each round, the spell absorbs the first 5 points of damage the creature would otherwise take from the specified energy type, regardless of whether the source of damage is natural or magical. The spell protects the recipient’s equipment as well.

Endure elements absorbs only damage. The character could still suffer unfortunate side effects.

Note: Endure elements overlaps (and does not stack with) resist elements and protection from elements. If a character is warded by protection from elements and one or both of the other spells, the protection spell absorbs damage until it is exhausted. If a character is warded by resist elements and endure elements at the same time, the resist spell absorbs damage but the endure spell does not.

3.5 Endure Elements
Abjuration
Level: Clr 1, Drd 1, Pal 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 1, Sun 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

A creature protected by endure elements suffers no harm from being in a hot or cold environment. It can exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves). The creature’s equipment is likewise protected.

Endure elements doesn’t provide any protection from fire or cold damage, nor does it protect against other environmental hazards such as smoke, lack of air, and so forth.
bramshackle said:
Does anyone know how this is supposed to work?
It used to give 5 fire resist. In the 3.5 "upgrade" it no longer does, the art no longer fits the ability.

bramshackle said:
Does the cape actually prevent fire damage at all?
Not in 3.5
bramshackle said:
I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this.
products_dndcore_175240000_lgpic.jpg
or http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/endureElements.htm

Last edited:

Empirate

First Post
When DMs examine this question, they should bear in mind that elemental resistances worked differently in 3.0. Back then, Fire Resistance 5 meant you could ignore 5 points of damage from the first fire-based attack every round. In 3.5, you can ignore this damage from every fire-based attack. Since elemental resistance became much more powerful, while also becoming easier to compute, in 3.5, the designers' intent on the Cape of the Firebath shouldn't really come into the discussion at all. What should is only this: should this item allow Fire Resistance 5 for its cost or not?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads