D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

OB1

Jedi Master
Sorry, even adjusted for inflation, Avatar still beats out Episode IV according to IMDB.

Adjusted for inflation Domestic

1. Gone with the Wind - $1.8B
2. Star Wars - $1.6B
3. Sound of Music - $1.29B
11. Force Awakens - $0.98B
13. Empire Strikes Back - $0.89B
15. Avatar - $0.88B
16. Return of the Jedi - $0.85B
18. Phantom Menace - $0.82B

If IMDb is talking about international, it should be taken with a huge grain of salt as it’s much more difficult to account for inflation across multiple other countries.

In US and Canada, Star Wars sold about twice as many tickets as Avatar. And even the much maligned (though wrongly) Phantom Menace sold almost as many tickets.

OB1

Jedi Master
Sorry, even adjusted for inflation, Avatar still beats out Episode IV according to IMDB.

Adjusted for inflation Domestic

1. Gone with the Wind - $1.8B
2. Star Wars - $1.6B
3. Sound of Music - $1.29B
11. Force Awakens - $0.98B
13. Empire Strikes Back - $0.89B
15. Avatar - $0.88B
16. Return of the Jedi - $0.85B
18. Phantom Menace - $0.82B

If IMDb is talking about international, it should be taken with a huge grain of salt as it’s much more difficult to account for inflation across multiple other countries.

In US and Canada, Star Wars sold about twice as many tickets as Avatar. And even the much maligned (though wrongly so) Phantom Menace sold almost as many tickets.

I love Avatar, but it doesn’t come close to Star Wars in terms of tickets sold.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't accept this at all. Money does not determine the quality of the movie. It never does.

You don't have to accept anything, but generally speaking money is BECAUSE the quality is there on some level prior to dedicating money to it. You have no idea how many scripts are submitted, analyzed, tested, spec'ed, etc. before it gets to the point where it's assigned big money. There are in fact quality controls in place. They're not perfect, but they're decent.

Mistwell

Off of IMDB:

[h=3]Dungeons & Dragons (2021)[/h]
[h=1]Company Credits[/h]
Showing all 7 company credits

Jump to: Production Companies (5) | Distributors (2)

[h=4]Production Companies[/h]
[h=4]Distributors[/h]

Sweatpea is not involved in any way other than they can get a small percentage off the movie as a result of the settlement. They're completely axed from decisionmaking of any capacity.

Mistwell

There are plenty of movies with big budgets and great talents that are not good movies. Money affecting quality is an illusion. What makes a good movie is desire. You can't pay for desire. Let me put it this way. There are far more cheap good movies than expensive good movies. How does that work given your "odds".

EDIT: When I say more above I mean "the ratio of good to bad". IOW, the ratio of good:bad movies is greater in cheap movies than the ratio in expensive movies.

Look when I said averages I meant averages. When I said it's not a hard and fast rule I meant that too. OF COURSE you can cherry pick opposite examples, that's what it means to have averages and not a hard and fast rule. But ON AVERAGE movies which get assigned bigger money tend to be better than movies that do not. Indeed, movies that do not you usually don't even see...they end up not even making it to a movie theater, and if they do they get a short run and are frequently forgotten.

Bigger budgets tend to get you better actors and better acting has a meaningful impact on movie quality. Bigger budgets tend to get you better directors and ADs and better directors and ADs have a meaningful impact on movie quality. Bigger budgets tend to get you better cinematopgraphers and editors and those people have a meaningful impact on movie quality. This is true for pretty much every industry and it's true for the Entertainment industry as well - being able to hire the best in the field tends, on average, tends to postively impact the quality of the products in that field.

And if you disagree and think there are "far more cheap good movies than expensive good movies" give me some objective data showing that which isn't cherry picking a handfull of examples. It would make HUGE news in the Entertainment industry, which is full of analysts who would salivate over such objective data and which would dramatically change the entire industry if it were true because they could make so much more money if they could spend less to make more.

gyor

Legend
Given the choice between a dnd movie that makes a truckload of money or one that people consider “good”, I’ll take the money every time.

Money means we get more movies and means more people actually watched the movie. Rather than be some cult hit so fans can look down their noses at other folks.

Show me the money!!

I'm greedy, I want both.

gyor

Legend
And that makes it the perfect tie to have faith. We have faith in the unknown, not the known. Except in D&D where the Gods are known to be real. That always bugged me. If ceris worship Gods that are known to exist, how can it reallly be faith...

There is always the chance that what is known is a lie or partial truth or that there is a greater truth. Even the things you take for granted as known require faith that the sources of your understanding of what is know are true.

Remove ads

Remove ads