D&D 5E Casual player responses to DMs planning to avoid WotC 5e/1DnD rules

Dausuul

Legend
Truth be told if I stopped purchasing or using products that crossed ethical boundaries I'd likely be homeless, naked and starving on the streets.
Sure -- we all would. Doesn't mean we can't pick a target now and then. And if anybody wants to target Hasbro over this, now is the ideal time to do so, when the final decisions are still being made and they can see the DDB subs getting canceled in real time.

But while I'll flame Wizards and Hasbro all day, I'm not going to criticize fellow gamers for sticking with 5E or DDB. Some folks feel strongly about this particular thing to make a stand. Others would rather focus their energies on other causes, or just get on with their lives.

Clint_L

Hero
All of my D&D students were talking about this on the first day back at school yesterday. My son had an opinion, and he only plays occasionally because it's mostly Dad's cringey thing. Every single kid seemed to share the opinion that Hasbro/WotC are corporate villains. My Grade 12s are switching to Pathfinder.

I am really hoping that Hasbro/WotC turn this situation around before it kills D&D Club.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Im finding this to land as it usually does with groups I'm in, and I'm familiar with. That being one or two members really have their ear to ground. These folks are up on news and make decisions that largely effect the entire group. So, for edition changes, new bespoke systems, adventure module/paths etc.. These folks largely make all those decisions. The casual gamer typically relies on them to bring the news and convince them to care or not. Completely anecdotal, but no I dont see much hullabaloo from causal gamers.
Same here.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Like I have said in other threads, should WotC continue on the path of shutting down the OGL ecosystem, then I will likely stop supporting them.

We will however continue to play 5e.

ECMO3

Hero
It looks like the 1.1 OGL leak is inspiring DMs to run future games with different system rules.

How are casual players responding to DMs who are moved about what’s going on in the community?

Are casual players pushing back against DMs making changes due to all this?
The only game I play currently is 5E. If a DM wants to run something else they can, and I will find another game.

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
I dont know what the offical dnd stance will be on the OGL but I know I cant in good faith continue to support WoTC if they really are going after 3pp creators. So I guess I have to start looking for offramps to near-DnD systems that my mostly new players can adapt to.

jhallum

Explorer
We've been around the block a few times, and are in the process of playing several different systems anyway:

• Pathfinder1
  • Savage Worlds (several settings)
  • 3, 3.5,4, and 5E
  • Call of Cthulhu
  • Fate Core
  • Star Trek Adventures
to name a few. We've more recently settled on more 5e games than others, but the general consensus last night is to see how things pan out. We're only on the hook for about $6/month, so we'll see where things go and whether or not Wizards are committed to this path...

Remove ads