• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Chain/Virus Dispel

Hi!

In the current game that I'm playing, my 10th level Divination Wizard found rare materials that have allowed him an arcane breakthrough. In short, the DM is letting me invent my own spell.

Events in the game have led us to discover a faction that is using tatoos to control people as slaves. We have, using dispel magic, freed some slaves from these tatoos. I was thinking of making a spell that does a 'virus' dispel or 'chain' dispel.

Essentially, a dispel magic that 'lingers' for concentration and when a target comes into contact with another target that has the exact same spell-effect, it dispels the effect and jumps to the next target. Like a virus - maybe I was inspired by the pandemic. So, essentially, instead of targeting multiple spells on a single target, it targets a single spell on multiple targets over time.

1. Do you think this is a reasonable effect? It is concentration and only targets 1 (determined at the time of casting) spell-effect
2. If it's reasonable, what should be the limitations/rules of the spell. spell level, duration etc...

Thematically, my divination wizard is using detection spells to detect the specified spell. I could see this as useful for an abjuration wizard as well.

jgsugden

Legend
From a story and balance perspective, I find it reasonable. I'd likely put it at 5th level. For duration, I'd likely make it 10 minutes, and then increase it when you bump up the level of the spell slot used (6= hr, 7 = 8 hr, 8 = 24 hour, 9 = week).

HOWEVER, administratively, this is a nightmare for a DM. Trying to figure out who and how they'd contact each other... ugh.

As an alternative, I'd consider making it an aura spell that dispels the spell effect whenever someone comes within 30 feet of you during the duration of the spell.

These slaves are kept in cells and pens so, it’d spread really rapidly in a group or just affect one or two with % chance of spreading from there. Or that’s how I’d deal with it.
The aura idea is a good one but the goal is to make it a bit sneakier. The aura would allow me to target multiple people and save me spell slots, which would be nice.

Shiroiken

Legend
These slaves are kept in cells and pens so, it’d spread really rapidly in a group or just affect one or two with % chance of spreading from there. Or that’s how I’d deal with it.
The aura idea is a good one but the goal is to make it a bit sneakier. The aura would allow me to target multiple people and save me spell slots, which would be nice.
I think a combination is an option. I'd have it work as a Dispel Magic on an effect affecting the target. If successful, they have an aura around them that works as a Dispel Magic on others who have that exact same effect. This allows you to free multiple people, while still allowing some shenanigans. Casting time and duration should be negotiated, but as a DM I'd insist on a casting time of a minute, because this isn't something I'd want cast in combat! I'd also want the target to make Constitution saves whenever they'd "lose concentration," so that the effect could be disrupted even while you're not present (it wouldn't prevent them from actually using concentration, just add a chance of failure).

Remove ads