Character Narratives Preview from PRIMEVAL THULE

Here's another preview of the Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition coming from Sasquatch Games. I already showed you the table of contents and the beastman warrior. This time it's one of the nineteen character narratives from the setting. "In 5e, narratives can be taken as an alternative to backgrounds. Narratives provide a small list of benefits thematically linked to the story and flavor of the specific narrative. At first level these features include skill training and usually a signature ability that provides a small combat benefit. As the character increases in level, additional benefits become available, reflecting a rise in stature or notoriety. At higher levels a narrative might grant an income, a title, or even followers!" (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop!)

For the original announcement, click here.

narrative-preview-p1.jpg

narrative-preview-p2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pemerton

Legend
Mixing game terms between editions is a mistake.
Comparing default rest times, 5 mins vs 1 hour, in practice they are very much not the same thing. But you know that already.
My point is that the devs don't misunderstand anything. They are using a technical term - 1x/enc - which is already defined as meaning "recovering after a short rest".

You mightn't like the term, but there's no misunderstanding.

a designer saying 'once per encounter is functionally the same thing as per short or long rest' has me extremely worried about the powers I will not see before the KS ends.
Any 5e designer has to make a call on how powerful they think a 1x/short rest power should be, based on the designers' conception of how frequent short rests will be in the game.

This is nothing to do with terminology - it is an issue as soon as you have asymmetric resource suites, as 5e does.

Imaro

Legend
My point is that the devs don't misunderstand anything. They are using a technical term - 1x/enc - which is already defined as meaning "recovering after a short rest".

Where in 5e is this defined? If it's not, there certainly is a misunderstanding... either you're assuming your entire player base has experience with 4e and will assume that the definition provided in 4e should also apply to 5e (which is a misunderstanding of who your player base is, as not all will have been exposed to 4e)... even though 1x/encounter powers aren't defined and don't exist in 5e (You're misunderstanding the 5e terminology in this case)... or you're creating a new type of ability that recharges after every encounter... which we know isn't the case since it's been clarified in the thread...

You mightn't like the term, but there's no misunderstanding.

It's not about liking or not liking the term... it's about the fact that it doesn't exist in 5e as actual terminology that is defined in the context of the game as you're claiming it is...

Any 5e designer has to make a call on how powerful they think a 1x/short rest power should be, based on the designers' conception of how frequent short rests will be in the game.

This is nothing to do with terminology - it is an issue as soon as you have asymmetric resource suites, as 5e does.

It has everything to do with terminology and using incorrect terminology... if the power is 1x per encounter (not short rest) which most people not exposed to 4e who play 5e will think (as well as many who don't have this thread to clarify) the power will recharge every encounter (since that's what it says) irregardless of a rest. Which does in fact make it more powerful...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Baker

First Post
Two things: First, we have a preview available showing our Deluxe Thule pack (GM screen, poster map of Quodeth, and reference cards), if anyone is curious. You can see it at http://www.sasquatchgamestudio.com/thule-gm-screen-and-reference-cards/ .

Second: One of the reasons why 5e's short rest is an hour compared to 4e's 5-minute short rest is simply the aesthetics of the "adventurer's workday." It bugged the heck out of us (meaning, WotC when I was on staff there) in the 3e era that most PC parties blew through their resources and stormed four or five rooms in about ten minutes of elapsed time. So we had an idea that giving people a decent suite of powers that recharged every encounter might help them to adventure heroically for more of the day before camping. But in practice, 4e parties did the same thing, and maybe had a 20-minute adventuring day. So one of the reasons the short rest in 5e is an hour is simply to encourage PCs to spend all day exploring a dungeon, making the experience match up better with the books and films people think about when they think about fantasy adventure. I was part of the 5e design team for many months, so I participated in those discussions. Now, 5e does a much better job than previous editions of making players decide to use or conserve those "short rest" powers, just because any DM worth his salt can decide whether the PCs can sit on their duffs for an hour in safety or not. But it is something that plays differently at different tables.

Hypothetically speaking: What would you guys think about saying "3/day" instead of "1/encounter" or "1/hour?" That's close to the same frequency and fairly agnostic about encounter pacing. I imagine we might want some boilerplate like, "3/day but not more than 1/minute" or "3/day, but not more than once against any given foe because he's onto your tricks after you do it once."

Imaro

Legend
Two things: First, we have a preview available showing our Deluxe Thule pack (GM screen, poster map of Quodeth, and reference cards), if anyone is curious. You can see it at http://www.sasquatchgamestudio.com/thule-gm-screen-and-reference-cards/ .

Second: One of the reasons why 5e's short rest is an hour compared to 4e's 5-minute short rest is simply the aesthetics of the "adventurer's workday." It bugged the heck out of us (meaning, WotC when I was on staff there) in the 3e era that most PC parties blew through their resources and stormed four or five rooms in about ten minutes of elapsed time. So we had an idea that giving people a decent suite of powers that recharged every encounter might help them to adventure heroically for more of the day before camping. But in practice, 4e parties did the same thing, and maybe had a 20-minute adventuring day. So one of the reasons the short rest in 5e is an hour is simply to encourage PCs to spend all day exploring a dungeon, making the experience match up better with the books and films people think about when they think about fantasy adventure. I was part of the 5e design team for many months, so I participated in those discussions. Now, 5e does a much better job than previous editions of making players decide to use or conserve those "short rest" powers, just because any DM worth his salt can decide whether the PCs can sit on their duffs for an hour in safety or not. But it is something that plays differently at different tables.

Hypothetically speaking: What would you guys think about saying "3/day" instead of "1/encounter" or "1/hour?" That's close to the same frequency and fairly agnostic about encounter pacing. I imagine we might want some boilerplate like, "3/day but not more than 1/minute" or "3/day, but not more than once against any given foe because he's onto your tricks after you do it once."

I just don't get why it's so hard to keep it as close as possible to the actual 5e rules? You seem to be trying to couch it in 4e terminology for some reason (that I honestly don't understand) when it seems like the easiest thing to do is keep it as close to 5e terminology as possible.

How about just saying... "once used this power recharges after resting an hour or longer"... bam!! there you go.

"3/day but not more than 1/minute" or "3/day, but not more than once against any given foe because he's onto your tricks after you do it once"... are convoluted and still aren't the same as recharging on a short rest in 5e... In the first one I'm now forced to track this power on 2 different timeframes.... minutes and days as opposed to one, hourly. For the second suggestion... does this mean I can use my power against a different foe in the same combat that I haven't used it on before? If so we have the chance for spamming the ability in the same fight, depending on number of enemies being faced and I know have to track how many uses per day and what foes it has or hasn't been used on. Honestly I think the best thing to do with this is keep it as simple and as close to 5e as possible.

Rich Baker

First Post
[MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] -- It's entirely possible I am overthinking this, which is something I do from time to time. We'll stick with something closer to the 5e language.

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

Imaro

Legend
@Imaro -- It's entirely possible I am overthinking this, which is something I do from time to time. We'll stick with something closer to the 5e language.

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

Thanks... and I don't want you to think I'm negative towards your project... I was tempted to get this originally for 13th Age but was hoping there'd be a 5e version released since while I have and will run/play 13th Age on occasion my players have been loving 5e since release and it's our go to fantasy game. The fact that you did come here, and were open to discussion and feed back pushed me from waiting until this was released to the public and reviews had appeared to make my decision into actually backing the kickstarter. So you definitely gained me as a backer from this thread.

nerfherder

Explorer
[MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] -- It's entirely possible I am overthinking this, which is something I do from time to time. We'll stick with something closer to the 5e language.
lol! I read this thread on my phone, then logged onto my PC to reply, and I was going to write "I think you may be overthinking this..." :)

Can I make a suggestion for how to word short rest abilities?
"You cannot use Cutthroat Strike again until after you have rested for at least 60 minutes."

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases