• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Submission Thread

Satin Knights

First Post
Reviewing Umralar:
a) I switched a " - STR (2)" to a "+ STR (-2)" just for clarity.

Suggestions:
a) I highly suggest replacing Child of the Street with Dirty Fighter. You are going to be attempting to flank often anyways, so the +1 damage when flanking will help a lot.
b) I would normally harp at you to buy a dagger so you can have a light weapon for when grappled, and a utensil to slice up dinner. But, you are too weak to carry it without slowing you down. Your lucky coins are "weightless".
c) *When* you confirm a crit, and still only roll a total of 1 non-lethal damage, I will take the opportunity to cackle, giggle and point. :p There is a particular PFS cleric that we rib about that every couple of months.

Tanking strength that much is a bad idea unless you are a pure caster, but I am not going to stop you from trying it. You even picked a small race that doesn't take a STR penalty, then handicapped yourself on purpose. This character will be an uphill battle to be effective. But, some people prefer challenges, so go for it.

Umralar has his second APPROVAL.

blackwlf

First Post
Reviewing Umralar:
a) I switched a " - STR (2)" to a "+ STR (-2)" just for clarity.

Suggestions:
a) I highly suggest replacing Child of the Street with Dirty Fighter. You are going to be attempting to flank often anyways, so the +1 damage when flanking will help a lot.
b) I would normally harp at you to buy a dagger so you can have a light weapon for when grappled, and a utensil to slice up dinner. But, you are too weak to carry it without slowing you down. Your lucky coins are "weightless".
c) *When* you confirm a crit, and still only roll a total of 1 non-lethal damage, I will take the opportunity to cackle, giggle and point. :p There is a particular PFS cleric that we rib about that every couple of months.

Tanking strength that much is a bad idea unless you are a pure caster, but I am not going to stop you from trying it. You even picked a small race that doesn't take a STR penalty, then handicapped yourself on purpose. This character will be an uphill battle to be effective. But, some people prefer challenges, so go for it.

Umralar has his second APPROVAL.

I intend to be 15-30 feet from combat at all times (depending on level, I'll want to be 15 once I've got the ranged AoO feats) firing a crossbow. So, flanking, not so much, and strength won't affect my damage with the crossbow. It's all about the invisible sneak attacks. And dipping a couple of ranger levels for focused shot, as suggested by HM.

Systole

First Post
If you'll pardon my bluntness, you're trying to make a character that's highly effective under a very specific set of circumstances. In practice, combat is a chaotic place, and being able to maneuver into that perfect position is difficult at best, and often flat-out impossible, like in the tight, twisty dungeon passages that many GMs tend to favor. In my (extremely blunt) opinion, you're going to spend most of your time frustrated and only partially effective.

There are a half dozen or a dozen very effective builds out there -- maybe a few dozen depending on how you want to count all the variations. And yes, they're kind of vanilla, but (a) characters distinguish themselves out of combat more than they do in combat and (b) combat is crazy enough that when you walk into a room with a flock of fire-breathing dire chickens and a miniature giant space wallaby, you will be thankful for vanilla. At least, I'm thankful for the vanilla that I play.

So anyway, I apologize for being insulting. All of the above is just me monologuing my opinion. I'll look over Umralar in the next day or two, and since SK did first approval, I'm betting second approval will be a slam dunk.

GlassEye

Adventurer
On the other hand, LPF has a pretty liberal character retirement policy. Try the character a while, test the concept, and if it doesn't work out to your satisfaction then retire and make a replacement character. I'm doing just that with my archery focused druid; I'm not entirely happy with the mechanics but I'll give it a couple of more levels of play before he wanders off into the wilderness. And if his personality/play style work out maybe not even then.

blackwlf

First Post
So anyway, I apologize for being insulting. All of the above is just me monologuing my opinion. I'll look over Umralar in the next day or two, and since SK did first approval, I'm betting second approval will be a slam dunk.
SK actually did second approval, HM did first, so Umralar is set to go.

Not insulting, just blunt. I do recognize the difference. ;) Also, honestly, I agree in large part that the character may not be particularly combat effective, at least starting out. I personally think once I get a bit higher he'll work better. Going to try to build him so he isn't relying entirely on sneak attack damage, so he should be fine as long as he isn't in deep melee. Besides, like you said, characters distinguish themselves more out of combat than in.

But yes, entirely possible I'll retire him after a bit of play and make something more straightforward.

Psylence

First Post
Alright, here's a character up for review. Just a heads up, first time I've rolled up a Pathfinder character. Been a couple years since I've even rolled up a D&D character. None-the-less, I submit Dyre Blackreef for review.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
On the other hand, LPF has a pretty liberal character retirement policy. Try the character a while, test the concept, and if it doesn't work out to your satisfaction then retire and make a replacement character. I'm doing just that with my archery focused druid; I'm not entirely happy with the mechanics but I'll give it a couple of more levels of play before he wanders off into the wilderness. And if his personality/play style work out maybe not even then.

This is my deal with Breninyr as well. Because of his multi-class choices and a few other decisions I've made, he's not a damage dealer. Nor (because of my particular poor luck with any and all dice rollers) does he hit often. But he's my modest attempt at a buffer/de-buffer and healer. So far, I'm liking him. Though that may be more due to the excellent company he's keeping in his first adventure than to the character himself.

Systole

First Post
Alright, here's a character up for review. Just a heads up, first time I've rolled up a Pathfinder character. Been a couple years since I've even rolled up a D&D character. None-the-less, I submit Dyre Blackreef for review.

Pretty well done. I didn't find any errors at first glance.

Couple of suggestions before I approve:
1. Odd ability scores are yucky. Yes, you save a little on ability point buy now, and you can even them out later, but later is about a year later for your first +1, and about two years later for your second +1. My advice is to even out as much as possible at character generation.
2. In before Satin Knights: Buy a dagger!
3. A picture is always nice, and many GMs require one so they can make map tokens with them. I've uploaded a placeholder. Since you actually provided a detailed description, I tried to find a pic that more-or-less matched it, instead of my usual tactic of giving you some incentive to find your own by uploading a picture of a dwarf in polyester disco pants.
4. There are a bunch of archetypes approved for play if you don't want to go vanilla alchemist. Many of them don't suck, but this is up to you.
5. In your background, you said that your mentor had gone to 'sleep with the fishes,' which confused the hell out of me, because 'sleep with the fishes' means 'die,' often with the connotation of being assassinated by the Mafia. Like what happened to Luca Brasi in the Godfather.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads