Charging Paladin build

mvincent

Explorer
Legildur said:
There was a recent thread debating whether a grapple (or Improved Grab) can work on an AOO.
Why wouldn't it? Can you direct me to the thread? I currently don't know of a reason to disallow it.

I seem to recall Hyp saying that (strictly by a literal interpretation of RAW) sunder could not be used on an AoO (since it's not technically listed as an attack action, even though most players, rulings and precedent I've encountered treat it to be one). But that seemed fairly odd (and I was unsure if he was intending that the game should actually be played that way).

Last edited:

Sithobi1

First Post
It's because the grapple check to hold is called out as a free action, so if you don't think you can take a free action not specifically allowed out of your turn, you can't make the hold.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
VonRichthofen said:
Snippy tone is but a subconscious reaction of my poor brain cells to the demonstration of ignorance... ;)
(No offense meant, of course)

VonRichthofen, welcome to the boards!

We have some posting guidelines you probably should review - there's The Rules, and a special note on civility in this forum.

Any time you feel you have to explicitly state that no offense is meant, it probably means that some offense is going to be taken anyway. In the future, please consider avoiding such a tone that requires the disclaimer.

As always, if you've got a question about moderation, or how The Rules apply, feel free to contact a moderator. Our e-mail addresses are available in a post stickied to the top of the Meta forum.

bestone

First Post
Does the chargins smite work with spirited charge + lance combo? that would be pretty nice, having a big bady paly on a mount spirited charging with a lance and smiting the crap out of stuff

Legildur

First Post
mvincent said:
Why wouldn't it? Can you direct me to the thread? I currently don't know of a reason to disallow it.

I seem to recall Hyp saying that (strictly by a literal interpretation of RAW) sunder could not be used on an AoO (since it's not technically listed as an attack action, even though most players understand that it is one). But that was fairly silly.
Not only can you not use Sunder on an AOO, you can't use it in place of an attack - it requires a Standard Action to use that uses a melee attack as its mechanism to resolve the outcome.

Saying that 'most players understand otherwise' and calling it 'fairly silly' is not exactly civil behaviour and perhaps you could do with reading the links highlighted by Umbran above.

Sithobi1 has otherwise captured the kernel of the argument.

Legildur

First Post
bestone said:
Does the chargins smite work with spirited charge + lance combo? that would be pretty nice, having a big bady paly on a mount spirited charging with a lance and smiting the crap out of stuff
Probably, but if you the Charging Smite ability, then you don't get the paladin's special mount, so your mount will have the life expectancy of an assault pioneer.

bestone

First Post
True, Tho that depends on what your mount is, you could always waste your money getting something stupidly expensive. If the dm lets you anyways....hrmm there has to be something you can do to get a good mount!

Remove ads